Joe Mauer wins BA top prospect award

MnSoxFan

Reed finished 3rd behing Greinke (sp?) (KC)

but i dont get how Mauer won it over Reed.

look at their stats (both combined single-A and AA):

Reed: .373 BA, 464 AB, 88 R, 173 H, 249 TB, 35 2B,

Reed: 4 3B, 11 HR, 95 RBI, 70 BB/ 36 K, 45 SB, 3 E

Mauer: .339 BA, 509 AB, 73 R, 172 H, 221 TB, 30 2B

Mauer: 2 3B, 5 HR, 85 RBI, 49 BB/ 49 K, 3 SB, 3 E

Look at that. In fewer at bats, Reed had MORE runs, hits, total bases, doubles, triples, home runs, rbi's, walks, and stolen bases. Reed also had almost a 3:1 BB:SO ratio whereas Mauer had a 1:1. Reed hit 30+ points higher as well as hitting .409 in a pitchers park in AA. Reed and Mauer both had 3 errors.

I mean ya, Mauer had a good year, but that year by Reed was better in EVERY SINGLE category. Thats why i think Reed should have won

Reed finished 3rd behing Greinke (sp?) (KC)

but i dont get how Mauer won it over Reed.

look at their stats (both combined single-A and AA):

Reed: .373 BA, 464 AB, 88 R, 173 H, 249 TB, 35 2B,

Reed: 4 3B, 11 HR, 95 RBI, 70 BB/ 36 K, 45 SB, 3 E

Mauer: .339 BA, 509 AB, 73 R, 172 H, 221 TB, 30 2B

Mauer: 2 3B, 5 HR, 85 RBI, 49 BB/ 49 K, 3 SB, 3 E

Look at that. In fewer at bats, Reed had MORE runs, hits, total bases, doubles, triples, home runs, rbi's, walks, and stolen bases. Reed also had almost a 3:1 BB:SO ratio whereas Mauer had a 1:1. Reed hit 30+ points higher as well as hitting .409 in a pitchers park in AA. Reed and Mauer both had 3 errors.

I mean ya, Mauer had a good year, but that year by Reed was better in EVERY SINGLE category. Thats why i think Reed should have won

Media, hype and age. If Reed played on the northside he would make Choi and Hill afterthoughts.

For those who didn't read the article

Previous Winners 
1981 Mike Marshall, 1b (Dodgers) 
1982 Ron Kittle, of (White Sox) 
1983 Dwight Gooden, rhp (Mets) 
1984 Mike Bielecki, rhp (Pirates) 
1985 Jose Canseco, of (Athletics) 
1986 Gregg Jefferies, ss (Mets) 
1987 Gregg Jefferies, ss (Mets) 
1988 Tom Gordon, rhp (Royals) 
1989 Sandy Alomar, c (Padres) 
1990 Frank Thomas, 1b (White Sox) 
1991 Derek Bell, of (Blue Jays) 
1992 Tim Salmon, of (Angels) 
1993 Manny Ramirez, of (Indians) 
1994 Derek Jeter, ss (Yankees) 
1995 Andruw Jones, of (Braves) 
1996 Andruw Jones, of (Braves) 
1997 Paul Konerko, 1b (Dodgers) 
1998 Eric Chavez, 3b (Athletics) 
1999 Rick Ankiel, lhp (Cardinals) 
2000 Jon Rauch, rhp (White Sox) 
2001 Josh Beckett, rhp (Marlins) 
2002 Rocco Baldelli, of (Devil Rays)

The Sox currenty have 4 of those past winners on thier roster. Plus Rauch in the minor leagues.

Mauer won because he has a higher upside than Reed according to most scouts. They want their POY to become a star to make them look good. Most scouts think Mauer has a better chance at this than Reed. I'm not going to give my opinion on this because I've only seen stats of Reed and read reports, while I don't know anything about Mauer other than that he was picked ahead of Prior as the #1 pick in the 2001 draft.

I wonder how his stats measure up vs HOF catchers.

What surprises me is that BA is usually very thorough.  For a catcher, doesn't it make sense to way both his offensive stats & the pitching stats for pitchers he manages?

No, that doesn't make sense. First of all, heaven knows what kind of pitchers he's catching in the Florida League. He should have it held against him that some acne faced 20 year old kid can't throw strikes? Second, he's just only learning how to handle a staff. He probably can't be expected to do that for several more years.

well the only reason for that is because the Twins knew they would not be able to sign Prior

I know. I was pissed back then because all of the Cubs fans were so excited to have him. Now they are calling him God (1 cub fan told me Prior=God and every cub fan I asked about that agreed :rolleyes:). In retrospect, it's good to have him out of our division and the AL (even if he is on the cubs).

I wonder how his stats measure up vs HOF catchers.

What surprises me is that BA is usually very thorough.  For a catcher, doesn't it make sense to way both his offensive stats & the pitching stats for pitchers he manages?

No, that doesn't make sense. First of all, heaven knows what kind of pitchers he's catching in the Florida League. He should have it held against him that some acne faced 20 year old kid can't throw strikes? Second, he's just only learning how to handle a staff. He probably can't be expected to do that for several more years.

Then, if all you are judging him by his is offensive stats Reed should have won the award.

What about throwing runners out? Do they ignore that as well?