TFT

Jerksticks

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 07:02 PM)
Bad Badler hasn't seen his approach. He goes to right often and isn't overly aggresive to me at all.

He has though in 5 minor league seasons. If I were a scout that has seen his last 5 years, I'd have the same opinion. Trayce is going to have to prove it. His minor league career doesn't suggest that his current run is sustainable. With that being said, I think he's definitely a major leaguer. Probably still a 4th OF type though.

Honestly that article is dumb and makes me hate baseball. How many people are even paying attention to the white sox now? 5? 6? Definitely required a self-righteous "let me counter this overwhelming hype machine for a white sox late season call-up that no national baseball reporter even mentioned"

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)

I don't think anyone is thinking superstar like Harper do you? I'm certainly not. At the same time, it's exciting to have a young prospect come up and produce. He's going to have growing pains certainly like his fielding error last night.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
Honestly that article is dumb and makes me hate baseball. How many people are even paying attention to the white sox now? 5? 6? Definitely required a self-righteous "let me counter this overwhelming hype machine for a white sox late season call-up that no national baseball reporter even mentioned"

I think Sox fans are though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
I think Sox fans are though.

Yeah terrible for anyone to find any sense of joy through this miserable season. A player actually outperforming his talent? Let's pop this balloon! We must only have players performing at historically awful levels!

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
Yeah terrible for anyone to find any sense of joy through this miserable season. A player actually outperforming his talent? Let's pop this balloon! We must only have players performing at historically awful levels!

He's not outperforming his "talent". He's outperforming what was expected though. Maybe the light has gone on finally. He was a high draft pick. Being happy and being unrealistic is completely different. I've said many instances on twitter of people being way over the top about Trayce. That is most likely what the author sees as well. Saladino, Phegley, and many others started out really well too. We shall see.

The one question is how much was Trayce consistently working on adjustments in the minor and certain things which impacted overall production vs. now I presume he's up and just trying to do what he can (not worrying about adjustments or working on a specific change to his hitting mechanics, etc). That is really the only thing that could account for him being better then his minor league production (given the large sample size). The talent is absolutely their though and if he starts, its because he can offensively match his minor league production (in the better years...or come close to it) while playing above average defense. I certainly wouldn't bet on it, but I'm not going to right an article about the hype that doesn't exist.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
They will adjust to Trayce but the real question is will he adjust to them. That AB on Monday in the 9th inning showed me that the kid atleast has a clue. Avi needs some serious f***ing work but I wouldn't necessarily give up on him. They should try him at 3B.

:huh:

They will adjust to Trayce but the real question is will he adjust to them. That AB on Monday in the 9th inning showed me that the kid atleast has a clue. Avi needs some serious f***ing work but I wouldn't necessarily give up on him. They should try him at 3B.

Wait, what? lol

Beyond belief.

Serious work - compared to whom on this team? He's the team's fourth best hitter (if you include Trayce).

I just want to see him play regularly to see if he slumps. Is it really that hard to do a rotation the rest of the way where he plays every day? Even if he is just a 4th OFer, it's incredibly valuable to find that out now instead of in spring training.

Edited by Dunt

L0MKM7Q.png

Interesting take.

I'm firmly in the wait and see camp but the law of independent trials is at play here. As others have said he won't fail because others before him in a similar profile have failed, he'll fail if he doesn't make his adjustments. Honestly it would be refreshing if a very athletic player that has underperformed in the minors came up and something just clicked. He cut his k rate down in the minors but also his walk rate took a dip as well. As said in that comment if everything clicks to me he screams Alex Rios( stance, long strides, swing, everything) but with possibly better defense.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
I just don't understand this logic. Trayce is older than Avi and put up inferior numbers in the minors. Why do people all of the sudden think he's the answer? Because he's played good for the few games he's played? He put up low .700 OPSs in AAA. The odds of him just suddenly figuring it out at the ML level are not that high. I need to see at minimum another 200 PAs before I even consider beginning to make any sort of judgment on him.

Yeah, I unfortunately agree...I would feel more confident if Trayce put up bigger numbers in the minors. Could it be that the light bulb all of a sudden turned on for him? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. At the very least, he will be a good fourth OF.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
I just don't understand the handwringing worrying about Trayce. Everything we get from him at this level is gold as it did not look last year like he was going to make it or be much more than a possible defensive sub in a pinch.

Because people also want to make decisions for next year that put him in a starter's role.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Because people also want to make decisions for next year that put him in a starter's role.

Considering the state of the team, I don't see why that is unwise. Worst case scenario he sucks, best case scenario he's good.

As opposed to:

-Finish outside top ten

- Sign expensive Free Agent

- Lose first round draft pick

- Watch expensive free agent suddenly become worst offensive baseball player in history

Seems like the fans clamoring him to smart are a lot more insightful then the nerds going "BUT GUYS BUT GUYS THE NUMBERS SAY"