White Sox Futility Under Williams/Hahn/Ventura

Panerista

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
That's because of his s***ty first two months. He's had a fine year.

Maybe next year it's Thompson in the OF and Cabrera at DH? Laroche is a gold glove 1Bman but we have Abreu so Adam may be the odd man out in 2016 and dealt this off season

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
Maybe next year it's Thompson in the OF and Cabrera at DH? Laroche is a gold glove 1Bman but we have Abreu so Adam may be the odd man out in 2016 and dealt this off season

Why on Earth would anyone "deal" for LaRoche?

The only way he's not on the White Sox in 2016 is if the White Sox eat his entire contract and put him on waivers. And of course, the next time the White Sox eat a 1 year contract as large as LaRoche's will be the first.

Adam LaRoche will be their DH and backup 1b next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
Over the last 30 days, he's 167th out of 179 for qualified fWAR

I like Mike Soscia (or however you spell his last name) and his contempt for all these fancy schmnacy stats and their abbreviations. People can lose sight of the baseball game with all that stuff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
Why on Earth would anyone "deal" for LaRoche?

The only way he's not on the White Sox in 2016 is if the White Sox eat his entire contract and put him on waivers. And of course, the next time the White Sox eat a 1 year contract as large as LaRoche's will be the first.

Someone wil be glad to take Laroche. He has a good hitting history before 2015 and has a gold glove defense. We took a chance on him and I am sure someone else would too. Now saying that if we keep him that's fine with me too

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
Someone wil be glad to take Laroche. He has a good hitting history before 2015 and has a gold glove defense. We took a chance on him and I am sure someone else would too. Now saying that if we keep him that's fine with me too

Speechless. I've got nothing.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)

They'll be glad to take him... if we pay at least 90% of his contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)

What were the consequences when Adam Dunn came on and put up historically bad numbers? Nada. So of course LaRoche will be back. And guess what? So will Rick and Robin and the rest of the clown posse when they roll into Glendale next spring.

However, doesn't mean the Sox will be a bad team. Because they have some very nice pitching, both in Chicago and on its way there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Hitting .242 with a .646 OPS in August. He had a ridiculous July, but as soon as he no longer had the Red Sox pitching staff to hit he swung back the other way. His July seems accurately described as "one of those bizarre stretches that can never be explained but ultimately mean nothing in terms of future performance" just as fairly. Overall, his full season numbers with a .704 OPS seem like they do a good job of reflecting what he did this year.

Melky also has a .242 BABIP in August, which perfectly explains his below average performance. Tell me the reasoning for him posting ISOs below .042 for two straight months to start the season?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Melky also has a .242 BABIP in August, which perfectly explains his below average performance. Tell me the reasoning for him posting ISOs below .042 for two straight months to start the season?

And his BABIP in August was .442 and his ISO that month was about .260. Clearly that's more relevant right?

His June numbers, overall, are a weak ISO, .700 OPS, .320 BABIP, and that's disturbingly close to his full season averages. Yet we're supposed to give more weight to his July than his full season.

His ISO for the season is .115 and in the 2nd half it's .120. His July basically balances out his first 2 months and you get that weak, poor overall season.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
What were the consequences when Adam Dunn came on and put up historically bad numbers? Nada. So of course LaRoche will be back. And guess what? So will Rick and Robin and the rest of the clown posse when they roll into Glendale next spring.

However, doesn't mean the Sox will be a bad team. Because they have some very nice pitching, both in Chicago and on its way there.

The problem is when you have an asset that underperforms THAT much, it does you virtually no good, unless you have another asset waiting to take its place, to cut bait at that point. There is more value in holding the asset than selling the asset for virtually nothing, unless you are forcing another asset to be significantly devalued by holding the underperforming one.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)

No team will take on LaRoche, elrockin. There's age to consider and it's obvious he's done. There's no reason to give him 500 at bats and get about 10 home runs.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
Going to be lots of disappointed people in here. Do you know what team you root for? They aren't doing a full rebuild. Not happening. They will add somehow in the offseason, roll with great pitching, and try to win in 2016. Just the way this org does things.

Afraid you are right.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)
I'm really surprised by the size of the Melky Cabrera apologist society. He didn't strike me as the type of player so many would make excuses for.

Excellent post. Melky is a big-time problem. Got to somehow get rid of him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
I'm really surprised by the size of the Melky Cabrera apologist society. He didn't strike me as the type of player so many would make excuses for.

I'd just as soon have Melky at the plate with the game on the line, as anyone not named Abreu on this team. And his TV persona is easy to like. He seems to have fun, while giving

maximum effort. Now, someone like Rios, with is smug, lackadaisical "I don't give a s***" attitude - there was someone to dislike. No excuses there. I wanted to make excuses for

Gillespie - his pained, 'fear of failure' look was grating, but it made me give him a grace period. Like I was hoping his confidence or his power or a sports psychologist would show up

Edited by ottawa_sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 11:49 PM)
I agree, I'm more than ready for changes, but rebuilding isn't one of them. I think it's time to officially cut ties with KW and allow Hahn to have a chance to realize his vision while also making him accountable for all personel decisions. I'd also like to let go of Robin and actually hire an experienced manager. Robin seems like a good guy, but he's a terrible in-game manager IMO and an easy spot to upgrade. And without question, Buddy Bell needs to go. I get player development is a difficult job and heavily reliant on the players brought into the organization, but he has so few success stories on the position player side that it's way beyond time to move on. Make these three changes and I feel much more confident about the leadership of the organization going forward. And with one voice and stronger leadership throughout, I feel more confident in our ability to acquire, develop, & coach up position player talent. I'd at least like to give Hahn and his team a year or two to improve this offense before I even think about ripping apart a pitching staff that has a chance to be very special in the near future.

OK, I'll go along with that but I doubt very much JR will fire KW, BB and RV. Hopefully KW will get an offer elsewhere and he'll be let go to take it. I just don't know how we are going to get rid of the other two.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
OK, I'll go along with that but I doubt very much JR will fire KW, BB and RV. Hopefully KW will get an offer elsewhere and he'll be let go to take it. I just don't know how we are going to get rid of the other two.

Yeah, I'm doubtful they'll let Robin go, but I could definitely see Buddy get the can if KW leaves.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
The Cubs only got two of their pieces on the current team through the draft, every other major piece came through free agency or a trade (Rizzo, Arrieta, Russell, Montero, Fowler, Lester, Hammel, every good pitcher in their bullpen).

In all fairness, Epstein originally drafted Rizzo. He just found a way to get him back via trade once he took over the Cubs.

QUOTE (ottawa_sox @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
I'd just as soon have Melky at the plate with the game on the line, as anyone not named Abreu on this team. And his TV persona is easy to like. He seems to have fun, while giving

maximum effort. Now, someone like Rios, with is smug, lackadaisical "I don't give a s***" attitude - there was someone to dislike. No excuses there. I wanted to make excuses for

Gillespie - his pained, 'fear of failure' look was grating, but it made me give him a grace period. Like I was hoping his confidence or his power or a sports psychologist would show up

FWIW-- Avi has 9 game winning RBI's compared to Abreu w 6. Melky has 12