9/3 at Minnesota Twins

flavum

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
Serious Q: what does it take for the White Sox to not offer him a QO? Is he there already?

No gotta roll the dice that some NL team will pay him.

Even if he takes the QO the hope is he adds some value to be traded. If not ship him to the pen and tell him to throw really hard for an inning.

Also makes it easier to move Quintana.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
No gotta roll the dice that some NL team will pay him.

Even if he takes the QO the hope is he adds some value to be traded. If not ship him to the pen and tell him to throw really hard for an inning.

Also makes it easier to move Quintana.

If he gets shipped to the pen...that's $16 million for a reliever. That's not something any team will trade anything of value for.

Nice range by Buxton there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
His FIP is 4.08, his ERA 4.85. I have watched most of the games. I don't think defense costs him 3/4 of a run per 9 innings, over the number errors do, which is already built into his ERA, unless they want to set up in the seats. Although that is still a HR.

FIP not matching ERA is not 100% defense related, some general luck is factored in there as well. Like it or not it's a way better predictor of future performance than ERA is. But if you want batted ball data taken into account, use SIERA instead, which is an even better predictor than FIP. Samardzija's FIP since the trade deadline is 5.34 anyway, it's not like the advanced stats have liked him much either.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
My hope is they give him the QO and he doesn't want anything to do with signing with the Sox. Sign a one-year deal with somebody else, and gamble on a better contract for 2017-2020.

Still think he could sign a few months into the season, possibly with the Cubs. Seems like a Theo move.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
FIP not matching ERA is not 100% defense related, some general luck is factored in there as well. Like it or not it's a way better predictor of future performance than ERA is. But if you want batted ball data taken into account, use SIERA instead, which is an even better predictor than FIP. Samardzija's FIP since the trade deadline is 5.34 anyway, it's not like the advanced stats have liked him much either.

The only luck is the luck they get to face him. He's Javy Vazquez with a lower K rate.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
Still think he could sign a few months into the season, possibly with the Cubs. Seems like a Theo move.

Seems possible, but for his own interests, it's possible the whole year with the Sox has been a giant headache for him. I don't know that, but maybe he wants to get out of Dodge.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
If he gets shipped to the pen...that's $16 million for a reliever. That's not something any team will trade anything of value for.

Nice range by Buxton there.

If he comes back, say the rotation does not change and Johnson is in limbo and May15th he has an ERA of 5, he could be moved to the pen for a cheap starter. Not ideal but they really cannot afford to take the risk on a QO.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Seems possible, but for his own interests, it's possible the whole year with the Sox has been a giant headache for him. I don't know that, but maybe he wants to get out of Dodge.

I think you take away the things that don't matter, his ND football career, his long hair, his weak facial hair, you realize what is there is a guy who can throw pretty hard, but so many pitchers throw 95 these days, and on days his secondary pitches are working, is tough to face. If anything goes wrong, he's meat. He's usually around the plate.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
DJ questioning the mindset that Steverson puts the hitters in. He's been very critical of everything

I enjoy DJ being truthful..............Rongey after the game is the total opposite ass kisser. I hope he is gone with move to WLS.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
I enjoy DJ being truthful..............Rongey after the game is the total opposite ass kisser. I hope he is gone with move to WLS.

I enjoy DJ too--mostly on the postgames. If he gets a new partner, I'll listen to the games more. Rongey obviously sucks, and needs to be replaced.