Samardzija/Cooper

Dick Allen

According to David Kaplan, who has sauces, Coop and the Shark do not get along at all. Apparently their relationship is bad enough Shark was hoping to be traded at the deadline.

What this suggests is the offers for Samardzija were about as good as he is pitching lately, as Coop is a KW guy and confirmed spy.

Kap said due to this relationship, there is no way the Sox would try to sign him and no way Shark would stay. This is about the 3rd group I have heard who still think Shark can get $80 million, but even if that is incorrect supposedly Shark is so uncomfortable in a White Sox uniform, there is no chance he would take the QO.

He also was th first White Sox pitcher since Jon Garland in 2004 to give up a grand slam and still get the win.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
According to David Kaplan, who has sauces, Coop and the Shark do not get along at all. Apparently their relationship is bad enough Shark was hoping to be traded at the deadline.

What this suggests is the offers for Samardzija were about as good as he is pitching lately, as Coop is a KW guy and confirmed spy.

Kap said due to this relationship, there is no way the Sox would try to sign him and no way Shark would stay. This is about the 3rd group I have heard who still think Shark can get $80 million, but even if that is incorrect supposedly Shark is so uncomfortable in a White Sox uniform, there is no chance he would take the QO.

He also was th first White Sox pitcher since Jon Garland in 2004 to give up a grand slam and still get the win.

How in the world are those two thing connected? Sounds like an agenda to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)
How in the world are those two thing connected? Sounds like an agenda to me.

if Kaplan is correct, the odds definitely increase KW wanting to send him elsewhere.

I do think this coming out, which will probably be denied by all parties, will be the "excuse" for his performance.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
If this is at all true, it is probably decent news. It means we can probably offer him a QO with a reasonable expectation that he turns it down and leaves.

Sullivan still thinks he gets at least $80 million. There is probably no way he would tske it if he loved Coop, but if true, it would seem to cement it. Kaplan did say there was no interest from either side lengthening the relationship.

That said, someone not liking their boss isn't so unusual.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
Sullivan still thinks he gets at least $80 million. There is probably no way he would tske it if he loved Coop, but if true, it would seem to cement it. Kaplan did say there was no interest from either side lengthening the relationship.

That said, someone not liking their boss isn't so unusual.

I would put the over under at 3 years 50 million at absolute most for Shark. He's not going to take a 6 year 80 million dollar deal, not with his ego and nobody is gonna give him 6 years 110 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
If this is at all true, it is probably decent news. It means we can probably offer him a QO with a reasonable expectation that he turns it down and leaves.

That could also mean another reason why the White Sox choose to not offer him a QO, to make sure that they don't have any risk of him accepting it next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
That could also mean another reason why the White Sox choose to not offer him a QO, to make sure that they don't have any risk of him accepting it next year.

By all accounts, he won't though. They should offer one in that sense then since it'll be beneficial for this organization if/when he declines. If he surprisingly accepts, deal him later on.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)
I would put the over under at 3 years 50 million at absolute most for Shark. He's not going to take a 6 year 80 million dollar deal, not with his ego and nobody is gonna give him 6 years 110 million.

The scary thing is the Sox would probably make an offer close to that. He is OVAH RATED!

It's understandable he'd be upset for not getting traded. QO hurts his value even more. Cueto and Price will not have draft pick compensation attached to them, along with lesser tier guys like Kazmiz and Latos. All those guys will sign before Shark. He will be a late February signing having to take the best offer (which will be less than he is aiming for right now).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (South Sider @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
IMO Cooper is wearing out his welcome here too. He couldn't find a middle ground to work with Samardzija on? Their relationship should never have been this bad, and as his boss, that falls on Cooper as much as it does Samardzija. Give Cooper a QO too, if you ask me... hehe

Does Cooper really have any success with veteran pitchers who had some success? He has more value working with younger pitchers. I wonder why Rodon has little minor league experience. Do they trust Cooper that much more than their farm system?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 09:11 PM)
Does Cooper really have any success with veteran pitchers who had some success? He has more value working with younger pitchers. I wonder why Rodon has little minor league experience. Do they trust Cooper that much more than their farm system?

Matt Thornton.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 10:11 PM)

Even I hate to admit this...Edwin Jackson was at his best with the White Sox.

How many other veteran pitchers have they "Brought in"? Javy obviously, he had a good 2007, but he was always that "guy who is good on terrible teams".

Freddy Garcia obviously worked pretty well with the White Sox in more than 1 stint. Jose Contreras obviously had his by FAR best year alongside Cooper.

The obvious counter example is of course, Jake "too busy talking to pitch" Peavy.