My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So good defense and not striking out are, in my opinion, the current undervalued assets in MLB. If you look at the world champion Royals, 11 of their 13 hitters with 100 or more PAs strike out in less than one of every six at bats (Alex Gordon and Paulo Orlando being the exceptions), and as a team, they play very good defense. Using this line of thinking, I think if the White Sox wish to improve the most heading into next season, their top targets should be Jason Heyward, who is a great defender, had a K rate of 14.8%, and a wRC+ of 121 in 2015, and Daniel Murphy, who offers defensive versatility at two positions of desperate need for the White Sox, had the lowest K rate in the league in 2015 at 7.1%, and had a wRC+ of 110 despite having a very low BABIP.

All that said, the White Sox rarely go the route I'm suggesting, and they're highly unlikely to hand out the contract it will take to get Heyward, so they'll likely go a different direction.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 08:09 PM)
The Red Sox seem to be going "all in", so they're probably looking to acquire a frontline starter.

What about a deal like Q for Swihart and Devers? Is that too little for Q or too much?

Huh???? Why would you propose that? Q is a top 15 MLB pitcher. You need to get back more than 1 MLB ready player and a Class A prospect. Minimum 2 MLB ready players + prospects. Otherwise you fill the C hole and open up 2-3 SP hole. If Q or Rodon you have to fill at least 2 holes + get prospects.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
So good defense and not striking out are, in my opinion, the current undervalued assets in MLB. If you look at the world champion Royals, 11 of their 13 hitters with 100 or more PAs strike out in less than one of every six at bats (Alex Gordon and Paulo Orlando being the exceptions), and as a team, they play very good defense. Using this line of thinking, I think if the White Sox wish to improve the most heading into next season, their top targets should be Jason Heyward, who is a great defender, had a K rate of 14.8%, and a wRC+ of 121 in 2015, and Daniel Murphy, who offers defensive versatility at two positions of desperate need for the White Sox, had the lowest K rate in the league in 2015 at 7.1%, and had a wRC+ of 110 despite having a very low BABIP.

All that said, the White Sox rarely go the route I'm suggesting, and they're highly unlikely to hand out the contract it will take to get Heyward, so they'll likely go a different direction.

Doesn't sound like that's the new value when your examples are two of the high priced free agents.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 08:09 PM)
The Red Sox seem to be going "all in", so they're probably looking to acquire a frontline starter.

What about a deal like Q for Swihart and Devers? Is that too little for Q or too much?

If we could do that deal, then great. With how the Dodgers and Red Sox seem to be going for it, I'd honestly love to deal Q for Swihart and Devers, then Sale to the Dodgers for maybe Seager, Verdugo/Pederson, and Carl Crawford?

C-Swihart

1B-Abreu

2B-Johnson

3B-Devers

SS-Seager

OF-Verdugo

OF-Eaton

OF-Thompson/Crawford??

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
If we could do that deal, then great. With how the Dodgers and Red Sox seem to be going for it, I'd honestly love to deal Q for Swihart and Devers, then Sale to the Dodgers for maybe Seager, Verdugo/Pederson, and Carl Crawford?

C-Swihart

1B-Abreu

2B-Johnson

3B-Devers

SS-Seager

OF-Verdugo

OF-Eaton

OF-Thompson/Crawford??

What about the rotation then? It'd be Rodon, EJ, Fulmer eventually, and who else?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
What about the rotation then? It'd be Rodon, EJ, Fulmer eventually, and who else?

I wouldn't worry too much about that considering the Sox have a great track record of drafting and developing pitchers in recent history. Also could sign a couple of starters if you feel like.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
Doesn't sound like that's the new value when your examples are two of the high priced free agents.

Jason Giambi fit Beane's model of acquiring players with high OBP. He was also attractive to teams who valued power and average, because he hit near .300 with 30-40 HRs. Heyward and Murphy similarly have value to teams that value other things as well. The White Sox also need to drastically improve their offense. You're going to pay more for a player who can hit 1-6 in your lineup than for a player who would ideally hit 7-9.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)

C-Swihart

1B-Abreu

2B-Johnson

3B-Devers

SS-Seager

OF-Verdugo

OF-Eaton

OF-Thompson/Crawford??

That is pretty close to what I was thinking for Sale (my version was Seager, Pederson, Urias, and a few lesser prospects). But, I would keep Quintana as the ace.

To round off my mock offseason, I would also....

- Trade Robertson for prospects. Move Montas to setup, and Jones to closer.

- Trade Micah (to NYY for Gary Sanchez).

- Trade Melky for prospects.

- Include considerable $ with Danks and LaRoche to entice someone to give up a prospect or two for them.

- In FA, I would sign one of the Japanese OF's (Hyun-soo Kim or Ah-seop Son), and then bring back Buehrle for his farewell tour in 2016.

LF - Eaton

CF - Pederson

RF - Kim/Son

3B - Seager

SS - Saladino (maybe Anderson by the end of 2016)

2B - Sanchez

1B - Abreu

C - Sanchez/Flowers

DH - Garcia

SP - Quintana

SP - Buehrle

SP - Rodon

SP - Johnson

SP - Urias/Beck/Fulmer

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
Jason Giambi fit Beane's model of acquiring players with high OBP. He was also attractive to teams who valued power and average, because he hit near .300 with 30-40 HRs. Heyward and Murphy similarly have value to teams that value other things as well. The White Sox also need to drastically improve their offense. You're going to pay more for a player who can hit 1-6 in your lineup than for a player who would ideally hit 7-9.

Giambi was beginning his 4th season with the A's when Beane became GM. When Giambi was drafted, Beane was an advanced scout.

QUOTE (Whitey @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)
That is pretty close to what I was thinking for Sale (my version was Seager, Pederson, Urias, and a few lesser prospects). But, I would keep Quintana as the ace.

- Include considerable $ with Danks and LaRoche to entice someone to give up a prospect or two for them.

- In FA, I would sign one of the Japanese OF's (Hyun-soo Kim or Ah-seop Son), and then bring back Buehrle for his farewell tour in 2016.

LF - Eaton

CF - Pederson

RF - Kim/Son

3B - Seager

2B - Sanchez

1B - Abreu

C - Sanchez/Flowers

DH - Garcia

SP - Quintana

SP - Buehrle

SP - Rodon

SP - Johnson

SP - Urias/Beck/Fulmer

Jones as closer? The same Jones who couldn't get anyone out last 6 weeks of season? Nate Jones?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 07:44 AM)
Jones as closer? The same Jones who couldn't get anyone out last 6 weeks of season? Nate Jones?

Yes... Nate Jones. The guy who put up a 3.32 ERA coming back from Tommy John surgery. And if he falters, give Montas a shot then.

The main point of the moves I mentioned was to rebuild. No matter what, this team is not going to contend next year, so a $12 million dollar closer does not make sense.

Just look what the Padres were able to get from the Red Sox for Kimbrel.

QUOTE (Whitey @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)

LF - Eaton

CF - Pederson

RF - Kim/Son

3B - Seager

2B - Sanchez

1B - Abreu

C - Sanchez/Flowers

DH - Garcia

SP - Quintana

SP - Buehrle

SP - Rodon

SP - Johnson

SP - Urias/Beck/Fulmer

while i am not a fan of your mock, you do bring up some points i have been debating on for a while. ref MB and coming back here for a farewell tour. it has been mention that if he does come back for any farewell tour, it would be with Stl. Stl lost Lackey and they do need a sp. it only make sense

~ Sanachez from the yanks, they need a young cost control sp. and MJ for Sanchez either Flowers or Andujar and convert him to a pitcher. 50 errors is a little too much but a 95 mph fastball is better.

~ Robertson now i been thinking this since the mlb trade deadline. Hou, needs a closer. they almost traded for Kimbrel last yr but the San wanted too much. i still don't see why they need another closer with Gregerson in the fold. but either way, hou has some nice prospects.

QUOTE (Whitey @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 07:24 AM)

I like all of these idea, with the following caveats: 1)I don't see Jones as having a long (or short) term future; hope I'm wrong. 2)There's something off with Sanchez; not sure what, although may be mental.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
~ Sanachez from the yanks, they need a young cost control sp. and MJ for Sanchez either Flowers or Andujar and convert him to a pitcher. 50 errors is a little too much but a 95 mph fastball is better.

E Johnson?

I hope the Sox do some of these kind of moves.

Just looked at some pitchers WAR. Knew Q was good, but didn't realize he was #14. Danks wasn't bad either. Better than Shields. Danks' GB rate is only 36% - some team with a big park should grab him next year. Ian Kennedy checks in at #75, just ahead of Hector. Who's paying $$ for that and giving up a draft choice?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
I like all of these idea, with the following caveats: 1)I don't see Jones as having a long (or short) term future; hope I'm wrong. 2)There's something off with Sanchez; not sure what, although may be mental.

E Johnson?

I hope the Sox do some of these kind of moves.

Just looked at some pitchers WAR. Knew Q was good, but didn't realize he was #14. Danks wasn't bad either. Better than Shields. Danks' GB rate is only 36% - some team with a big park should grab him next year. Ian Kennedy checks in at #75, just ahead of Hector. Who's paying $$ for that and giving up a draft choice?

ref the bold, the one i didn't mention is the yanks wants to trade him. for as many teams that can use a starting catcher, why hasn't sanchez been move??

the reason is according to last yr rpt, he is a A type lousy teammate. [ i really like the way you wrote it.... funny. ]

I don't see Danks or LaRoche going anywhere but I would be surprised if the Sox didn't move Robertson and Melky. The returns would not be all that spectacular but it would infuse some youth into the farm and open up room for youth on the Sox. With Melky gone, Eaton slides over to LF with Thompson going to CF. Avi can platoon with Shuck in RF and LaRoche at DH, unless the Sox pick up a better option for RF which would be nice.