Ventura "absolutely" wants to manage White Sox next season

southsider2k5

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 09:35 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 5m5 minutes ago

Robin Ventura, who is under contract for 2016, said he "absolutely" wants to manage White Sox next season.

And he will. Hopefully with better results in 2016

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
After 4 lousy years, he's done nothing to justify more time

He's terrible at making LaRoche be able to be a major league hitter and Melky and Avi be able to play defense or be league average hitters. He's bad at making Shark not suck in the second half. With Flowers he seems to make him be a good pitch framer/defender and a bad hitter. I have mixed opinions of that tactic. Same with Sanchez.

I like that Micah has decided to come back to the major league team and give Ventura another chance at making him able to show any semblance of ability to play second base.

I will say with certain players he's very good at making them be good at baseball. Chris Sale for example. I love all the strikeouts he makes him do. He has Abreu hit for average and for power, smart choice by Ventura right there. But why he doesn't just make all of the players be All-Stars...I have no idea.

How they replace managers doesn't make me giddy. Maybe they would give Ron Karkovice as call. I'd be more upset if Robin was managing in the minors and had big league coaching experience but he doesn't. Who would want to manage this team where there is no philosophy practiced in the organization other than laid back and no accountability.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
How they replace managers doesn't make me giddy. Maybe they would give Ron Karkovice as call. I'd be more upset if Robin was managing in the minors and had big league coaching experience but he doesn't. Who would want to manage this team where there is no philosophy practiced in the organization other than laid back and no accountability.

Thome's next in line.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:24 PM)
Still expecting a contract extension announced at some point.

He's already under contract for next season. They agreed to an extension in January IIRC

edit- jan of 2014, but he is still under contract for next season

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 09:27 PM)
He's already under contract for next season. They agreed to an extension in January IIRC

Their extension was after the 2013 season, it runs through 2016. Robin signed that extension when he had 1 year left on the deal and per the press reports I've seen he's got 1 year left on the deal again. Hence, it's contract extension time again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
Their extension was after the 2013 season, it runs through 2016. Robin signed that extension when he had 1 year left on the deal and per the press reports I've seen he's got 1 year left on the deal again. Hence, it's contract extension time again.

There is no way he gets another extension. Hahn would be ruined by that.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
This is why I don't like former players as managers. You forget they were great playing the game.

For sure. I understand wanting to sign a former player as manager, but you can't follow that up with blind loyalty at the expense of your team.

There is nothing wrong with a former player being a manager if he played for someone else so if his performance as a manager is lacking, the memories of him as your player, don't keep you from doing what needs to be done for the betterment of the team. I am not endorsing or canning Ventura. You don't make a move unless you have someone else better lined up. At this point just changing the manager may not make much difference. If there is a house cleaning and people come in with a coherent organizational wide philosophy and a new manager fits that better, by all means go ahead.

And so if the wake of another disappointing season with the team looking lifeless and baseball stupid coming out of spring training, Robin and his cadre of clown coaches looks like they are going to return.

I told you, JR will not fire him.

Basically a big screw you to the fans. "We know better than you people! You'll get nothing and like it!" LOL.

By the way Kenny's not going anywhere either.

Mark

Well, fine. He's a likeable guy. He's a smart guy. He's not stupid. He must realize a lot of things have to change. Cmon Robin, encourage the front office to get guys who can catch the ball and are team players who hit to all fields. And get some true power hitters to go with this awesome pitching.

The White Sox cannot win without a ton of home runs. Cmon Robin. Wake up and save your managing career next year and get this team to play with fricking intensity.

I still say the biggest mistake they made with Ventura is providing him with a staff that didn't have a guy(bench coach) that had previously been a ML manager. Having a mentor-type bench coach, like a Gene Lamont, I think, would have helped Robin immensely.