Ventura "absolutely" wants to manage White Sox next season

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
I still say the biggest mistake they made with Ventura is providing him with a staff that didn't have a guy(bench coach) that had previously been a ML manager. Having a mentor-type bench coach, like a Gene Lamont, I think, would have helped Robin immensely.

i thought that was suppose to be coop job, to advise and mentor him.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)
I don't think there's any way he coaches on a 1 year deal. Even if it's just a 1 year extension, they'll add a year.

This is a good point. They'll either extend him or move on. I fully expect him to be back but Hahn has stated that all options are on the table. I think they'd probably just say he's coming back if he were for sure.

Found this comment to be interesting in the Tribune today from Rick Hahn:

Hahn said the Sox will be careful not to overreact and create more problems when they make their changes, given that they still believe they have some of the pieces in place needed to win. He said Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who was “heavily involved” in their offseason restructuring last winter, has asked for their plan to get back on track.

Mark

...and if Levine didn't like Ventura, he would be writing that he should go.

Nothing is going to happen. Just have to accept that Jerry/Kenny/Rick/Buddy/Robin/Coop are going to be running this team to another non-playoff season.

They can look at more empty seats next year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
...and if Levine didn't like Ventura, he would be writing that he should go.

Nothing is going to happen. Just have to accept that Jerry/Kenny/Rick/Buddy/Robin/Coop are going to be running this team to another non-playoff season.

They can look at more empty seats next year.

There was talk about writers doing favors for ownership in their articles. This is one I think is 100% a favor to the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 12:13 PM)
There was talk about writers doing favors for ownership in their articles. This is one I think is 100% a favor to the White Sox.

For sure. Levine was spoon fed the Melky Cabrera deal in the offseason and also had the KW/Toronto stuff. Sox use Levine for stuff all the time

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
For sure. Levine was spoon fed the Melky Cabrera deal in the offseason and also had the KW/Toronto stuff. Sox use Levine for stuff all the time

I have also caught him a couple of times after news has already been out making it clear that he knew the news before it became public knowledge, but he didn't report on it at the time, which is telling me that he was asked not do so.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
This is a good point. They'll either extend him or move on. I fully expect him to be back but Hahn has stated that all options are on the table. I think they'd probably just say he's coming back if he were for sure.

Yeah they are going to have to extend him. He's not going to manage on a one-year deal.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
Found this comment to be interesting in the Tribune today from Rick Hahn:

Hahn said the Sox will be careful not to overreact and create more problems when they make their changes, given that they still believe they have some of the pieces in place needed to win. He said Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, who was “heavily involved” in their offseason restructuring last winter, has asked for their plan to get back on track.

Mark

Nice. I don't know what they are gonna tell the chairman. It's going to be hard to win with no power Melky as your leftfielder, absolutely worthless LaRoche as your DH and what on paper remains average to below average defensive team (depending on who gets third and second next year).

QUOTE (harkness @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
If there was anyone in the history of coaches that did not deserve another year... I can't think of a many more.

No experience

No track record of success

But I still think a lot is to be determined by their final trend and record.

That's the way the organization will replace Ventura. In that case I have no problem with him finishing his contract. I don't want another liked player, even Jim Thome.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 04:20 AM)
That's the way the organization will replace Ventura. In that case I have no problem with him finishing his contract. I don't want another liked player, even Jim Thome.

here is most posters criticizing the owners on not hiring a manager with no experience yet, some are willing to give the managers job to Thome on a silver platter.... isn't that the same inconsistency that may have gotten the team in trouble???

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
some are willing to give the managers job to Thome on a silver platter

Who?

Anytime I've seen his name come up, it's because that's the type of guy the FO will hire. Not because that's who the person actually wants them to hire.

The typical post is "I'd like to see them hire ____ or ____ but they'll probably just hire someone like Jim Thome instead".

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 09:26 PM)
Back in the day, the two best third basemen arguably were Robin and Matt Williams. Now Matt is the worst manager in majors, Robin certainly in lowest quartile.

Plus the added presence of Buddy Bell.

They tried KW at third too, I think.

That would wipe out Konerko...not sure about Thome.

Juan Uribe, player-manager!!!

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
Plus the added presence of Buddy Bell.

They tried KW at third too, I think.

That would wipe out Konerko...not sure about Thome.

Juan Uribe, player-manager!!!

no way!!

btw wasn't Don Kessinger the last player manager the sox had???

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
Who?

Anytime I've seen his name come up, it's because that's the type of guy the FO will hire. Not because that's who the person actually wants them to hire.

The typical post is "I'd like to see them hire ____ or ____ but they'll probably just hire someone like Jim Thome instead".

I don't know if Thome would be interested, I've never heard or read him say anything on the subject one way or another.

I do know that Thome is very well respected and liked by JR, that he is an advisor to the team and that they are close.

Tony LaRussa told me that he and JR and Thome have had dinner together and that Jim's passion for the franchise was clearly evident.

Make of that what you will.

He does fit the profile though. Remember before Kenny talked Ventura into taking the job he offered it to Konerko as a "player-manager." Paul turned him down saying it would be to much for one guy.

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't be surprised to see Thome be offered the job at some point in the future. It would be so White Sox (i.e. we're smarter than everyone else with our hirings...)

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (harkness @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
If there was anyone in the history of coaches that did not deserve another year... I can't think of a many more.

No experience

No track record of success

But I still think a lot is to be determined by their final trend and record.

How many seasons does he have to manage before he has experience?