9/20 at Cleveland Indians

flavum

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
Looking at the lineup card, I had completely forgotten that Beckham was with the team. Is he just around to keep Hawk happy at this point or something?

We're still going to be right there for the wild card and he's a key part of that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
Cleveland apparently up 2 in the 2nd inning on a Chisenhall HR. Who knew that baseball season was still going on?

Well, I am not surprises Danks, or any other Sox pitcher, gave up a home run. I think we have like 127 offensive homers and I wonder how many our pitchers have allowed? This is probably the biggest disappointment and maybe outright failure of this team and that's our offensive output. We live in a hitters ballpark and yet have like the second worse offensive homerun output in the AL

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
Well, I am not surprises Danks, or any other Sox pitcher, gave up a home run. I think we have like 127 offensive homers and I wonder how many our pitchers have allowed? This is probably the biggest disappointment and maybe outright failure of this team and that's our offensive output. We live in a hitters ballpark and yet have like the second worse offensive homerun output in the AL

We've given up 150 HR coming into today, the average for teams in the AL is 155, so we're a tiny bit above average in giving up HR.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)

Yea, that Sox lineup doesn't scare anyone except us Sox fans. An active offseason that also includes changes made to the coaching staff is what I am looking forward to. If that doesn't happen I give up for 2016.

I love Danks as a No. 5 starter, but I think I'd love him more in the bullpen. Sox have to develop a plan for next season. Bullpen is not exactly a strength.

How bout rotation of Sale, Johnson (need righty balance), Q, sign a cheap veteran fill in type righty; and Rodon.

Danks is our late inning lefty so trade Duke. Robertson is closer. Now just need to find better righty set up options. Start with Nate. Throw Montas in the mix as a starter or reliever.

So Sale, Johnson, Q, veteran righty or Montas, Rodon get the game to Danks in the seventh, Nate in the eighth and Robertson in the ninth. "On paper" a wildcard contending staff?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
I love Danks as a No. 5 starter, but I think I'd love him more in the bullpen. Sox have to develop a plan for next season. Bullpen is not exactly a strength.

How bout rotation of Sale, Johnson (need righty balance), Q, sign a cheap veteran fill in type righty; and Rodon.

Danks is our late inning lefty so trade Duke. Robertson is closer. Now just need to find better righty set up options. Start with Nate.

So Sale, Johnson, Q, veteran righty, Rodon get the game to Danks in the seventh, Nate in the eighth and Robertson in the ninth. "On paper" a wildcard contending staff?

You want Erik Johnson to be the #2 starter in the rotation?

Ok then.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)

Danks is our late inning lefty so trade Duke. Robertson is closer. Now just need to find better righty set up options. Start with Nate. Throw Montas in the mix as a starter or reliever.

So Sale, Johnson, Q, veteran righty or Montas, Rodon get the game to Danks in the seventh, Nate in the eighth and Robertson in the ninth. "On paper" a wildcard contending staff?

Really no, that rotation is on paper about as weak as this year's with Samardzija, at least on paper. "A cheap veteran fillin" and Erik Johnson are guys you'd expect to struggle. He might overperform that, but he's basically a rookie in his first full season - you should expect him to be a step below where Rodon is this year. Rodon is clearly improving but he's only going to be a 2nd year player so you still expect some struggles from him as well. Montas is clearly not ready to be a regular rotation contributor yet and needs at least another year before he even gets a full time shot IMO.

I guess that could contend for the wild card with a strong offense and defense. It's not terrible, it's pretty good at the top and ok at the back side, but it's not going to be any sort of real upgrade from this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 07:01 PM)
We've given up 150 HR coming into today, the average for teams in the AL is 155, so we're a tiny bit above average in giving up HR.

It just seems we are worse than that. I guess it might be the the timing of our homers allowed that is so frustrating

There's the difference between Ventura and Francona. Ventura leaves a reliever in who's getting bombed and instead of taking him out and giving up perhaps 1 run and keeping the game within reach , he leaves him in to give up 3 and the lead becomes insurmountable. Francona's guy gives up a walk, a legit double, and a bloop hit and he's out of there.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
It just seems we are worse than that. I guess it might be the the timing of our homers allowed that is so frustrating

I think it's just that we don't score very much and we don't get many people out when they put the ball in play normally so the ones we give up hurt a lot more.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
This might be the least interested I have been in a Sox game in a very long time.

I think the interest the rest of the year lies in seeing whether Abreu gets 30 homers and 100 RBI's and maybe gets that average to .300. All doable. The other is to see how many more K's Sale gets

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 07:49 PM)

I think it has something to do with all the lefties we have. Too many. Hitters get used to it and eventually square up and knock it out of the park.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
It's the White Sox just being their irrelevant self in September, yet again.

I can't turn my mlb on today. Too sick of the same cast of characters being lousy. What a challenge to change this team this offseason. Just getting rid of Lexi and filling holes with Saladino, Micah and Sanchez, etc., doesn't really excite me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
I think it has something to do with all the lefties we have. Too many. Hitters get used to it and eventually square up and knock it out of the park.

Except we've given up fewer homers than the average team, and plus I bet you can guess which hand the guy who has given up the most home runs on our roster throws with...so this statement has literally nothing to suggest its true.

I'd really like to see Montas start a few games this season. I know people are insistent on trading him or placing him in the bullpen, but I'd really hope they'd continue stretching out his arm to be a starter. Next season, around midyear, if he's dominating In tge rotation bring him up and find him a spot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)
I can't turn my mlb on today. Too sick of the same cast of characters being lousy. What a challenge to change this team this offseason. Just getting rid of Lexi and filling holes with Saladino, Micah and Sanchez, etc., doesn't really excite me.

Oh I'm sure they won't do that. They'll spend some money and bring Alexei back and say that they're ready to go and they're going to compete for the wild card. Left unsaid will be the extra clause "We're ready to go to compete for the wild card.....just like we were in 2015".

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 20, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
I'd really like to see Montas start a few games this season. I know people are insistent on trading him or placing him in the bullpen, but I'd really hope they'd continue stretching out his arm to be a starter. Next season, around midyear, if he's dominating In tge rotation bring him up and find him a spot.

I'd like him to get a full season of 150 innings or so in Charlotte next year, personally, maybe with another September callup. I think he has a lot of work to do on quality offspeed stuff and he doesn't need to be in the big leagues to do that, at least not yet.