In Defense of Jay Cutler

So, the criticism of Cutler usually centers around interceptions. I'm not a Cutler apologist (in fact, I'm never comfortable with him in the game), but I believe most of the angst related to Cutler is anecdotal. We're Bears fans, so we live and die with every game. Ever mistake is magnified. Successes are mere interludes between mistakes. And if we're not Bears fans, then we take joy in the misery that happens with Jay under center.

However, I feel like, with few exceptions, there really aren't many significantly better options at QB available. People like to point out Cutler's salary, but I think that just comes with the the position. If we don't pay him, we will have to allot a similar portion of our cap to his replacement. And, unless we stumble into Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady in the draft, how much better off would we really be without Jay.

I did a little research to compare Cutler with his contemporaries, some HOFs, and a few QBs who made it to Super Bowls and others who are just household names. Specifically, I'm comparing TD/INT ratios. Since I'm aware that the game has evolved, and the claim for the poor TD/INT ratios put up in earlier eras would be that they threw the ball downfield more in the past, I included some YPA data for Jay and some of the old timers.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying Jay is as good as some of the HOF QBs on the list, but I think it's interesting to looks at them statistically. I also find the numbers of some of his critics in the media (Dilfer, Jaws, Bradshaw, Aikman, et al) to be a little surprising considering how much they like to talk about ball security and decision making.

Anyway, take a look.

Cutler TD/INT 1.40 - YPA 7.2

Super Bowl QBs

Favre 1.51 - 7.1

Jaworski 1.09 - 6.8

Brad Johnson 1.36

Kelly 1.35 - 7.4

Marino 1.67 - 7.3

McNair 1.46

Montana 1.96 - 7.5

McMahon 1.11

Plunkett 0.83. - 7.0

PSimms 1.27 - 7.2

Stabler 0.87 - 7.4

Staubach 1.40 - 7.7

Tarkenton 1.29 - 7.3

Theisman 1.16 - 7.0

Namath 0.79 - 7.4

Warner 1.63 - 7.9

Young 2.17 - 8.0

Hasselbeck 1.37

Bradshaw 1.01 - 7.2

Aikman 1.17 - 7.0

Bledsoe 1.22

Dilfer 0.88

Esiason 1.34 - 7.3

Elway 1.33 - 7.1

Culpepper 1.41

Brunell 1.69

Moon 1.25 - 7.2

JGeorge 1.36

McNabb 2.0

Contemporaries

Luck 1.96

Palmer 1.48

Eli Manning 1.41

Rivers 2.05

Roethlisberger 1.93

CNewton 1.51

Dalton 1.58

Flacco 1.61

Kaepernick 2.48

JMcCown 1.03

Romo 2.19

Ryan 1.98

ASmith 1.66

Vick 1.50

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also fumbles a ton, and has a knack for throwing INTs at the worst time. I went to the game Sunday. I had just said to my brother Cutler is having a really nice game when he threw the pick 6. He is obviously better than Claussen, and doesn't have a nice defense that can get him field position and take some pressure off having to score a ton of points to win. But he is what he is. The second you think he is doing well, something bad happens. It is a never ending occurrence.

You really can't compare Cutler's numbers to any of the guys in the first bunch you listed. The game is completely different today than it was even 15 years ago. Had Cutler played in the '90s and put up the same numbers he would be considered one of the better QB's in the league. As a Packer fan, I like to rip on Cutler for his repeated failures against the Packers but honestly you guys could have worse. Cutler is what he is, a guy with a good skill set who makes a lot of boneheaded plays. He can lose you a game just as easily as he can win you a game.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 06:19 AM)
We all wish he was better. He is what he is. Not great but better than what we've had since Jim Miller was healthy for the few games he was or the first half of 06 for Rex. Think it was 06. God, time flies.

Cutler is the best QB in the history of the franchise. That really doesn't mean what it should mean though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
Cutler is the best QB in the history of the franchise. That really doesn't mean what it should mean though.

It's really sad to think about at first. Then you realize we've had guys like Sayers, Payton, and Forte to carry the offense. We've never been a team with a top-tier QB.

I would have no problem with the Bears taking two Quarterbacks in next years draft. With their first pick and even within the next few rounds (pick a round). They have to get the QB issue right before anything else even matters and it doesnt involve Jay.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
I would have no problem with the Bears taking two Quarterbacks in next years draft. With their first pick and even within the next few rounds (pick a round). They have to get the QB issue right before anything else even matters and it doesnt involve Jay.

yeah I agree. It's scary to think about selecting a bust QB again, but on the other hand, when people point to how you can build a great franchise around the true top players instead of QB...I look at the texans and the rams and the chiefs...no thanks. They aren't going to win the super bowl.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)

The need too much help elsewhere to justify taking two QB's early. Like...almost everywhere.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)
The need too much help elsewhere to justify taking two QB's early. Like...almost everywhere.

True but it also doesn't make sense to read for one. If a stud LT or defensive player that's on the board is way better than the QB that might be, I'd want the sure thing. You have to get studs in the top 10. For example, at this point I'd take Bosa, Jaylen Smith, the DT at Ole Miss, or either of the LT's before any of the QBs. Cook, Goff, Jones, etc could be the right picks at the time but not at this point looking ahead. They could always trade back into round 1 to take a 1st round QB.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2015 -> 05:42 AM)
He also fumbles a ton, and has a knack for throwing INTs at the worst time. I went to the game Sunday. I had just said to my brother Cutler is having a really nice game when he threw the pick 6. He is obviously better than Claussen, and doesn't have a nice defense that can get him field position and take some pressure off having to score a ton of points to win. But he is what he is. The second you think he is doing well, something bad happens. It is a never ending occurrence.

The problem with the whole "knack for throwing INTs at the worst time" thing is with the way the defense has played the last few years, every INT is the worst time. To overcome the defense he pretty much has to play perfect.

Unless the defense gets fixed, chances are no matter who the QB is the Bears aren't gonna be any good.

Jay has gaurenteed money coming his way next year then can be cut without any cap ramifications the following year. I would stick with him for 2016. Assuming they stay bad I would grab Bosa, Nkemdiche, or the CB out of Florida. If they go DL 1R, hope a CB makes sense in the 2R. If they go CB in the first, hope a pass rusher makes sense in the 2R. Whether that be a DLman who can get after the QB or an OLB.

Long had a good week, ranking 2nd among OTs by PFF. Hopefully this continues and he can make the move to LT while playing Bushrod on the right side for a year, eliminating the need to go OT in the first round.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
True but it also doesn't make sense to read for one. If a stud LT or defensive player that's on the board is way better than the QB that might be, I'd want the sure thing. You have to get studs in the top 10. For example, at this point I'd take Bosa, Jaylen Smith, the DT at Ole Miss, or either of the LT's before any of the QBs. Cook, Goff, Jones, etc could be the right picks at the time but not at this point looking ahead. They could always trade back into round 1 to take a 1st round QB.

I don't really care much for hypothetical positions being safer bets. LT has been no sure thing recently.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)

Doesnt matter. No other position comes close to the importance of finding a Quarterback. Look around the league. If you don't have that position settled you aren't a real contender. Even if you have to throw away the next two damn years of football you have to find the quarterback in that process.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
Doesnt matter. No other position comes close to the importance of finding a Quarterback. Look around the league. If you don't have that position settled you aren't a real contender. Even if you have to throw away the next two damn years of football you have to find the quarterback in that process.

It absolutely does matter. Eli Manning has as many rings as Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers combined.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
It absolutely does matter. Eli Manning has as many rings as Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers combined.

Did he not play like a beast in the playoffs for those SB runs? He played like a top of the line QB during those runs from what I remember.

Having the team to surround the quarterback eventually does matter obviously. The point I am trying to make is finding their franchise QB should be their primary focus and nothing should slow that process down, not even trying to waste another third round pick on a safety that never amounts to anything.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)

I can use the Bears to prove this statement wrong. They went to the Super Bowl with Grossman/Orton. While they did lose to a franchise QB, you can't say they weren't contenders. And that was Peyton Manning's only Super Bowl victory, the greatest quarterback of all time from a statistical perspective.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
I can use the Bears to prove this statement wrong. They went to the Super Bowl with Grossman/Orton. While they did lose to a franchise QB, you can't say they weren't contenders. And that was Peyton Manning's only Super Bowl victory, the greatest quarterback of all time from a statistical perspective.

A couple of mediocre QBs have won Super Bowls, including McMahon, but the defense has no margin for error.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)

This was a decade ago when the league was different. You arent allowed to play defense now as you were then. That team flew around hitting everyone violently. Sure we can cherry pick and find a couple years in the past twenty where a team with a average QB made it to the SB but I personally have seen enough around the league to know that has to be the primary focus of Pace going forward if the Bears are going to be a legitimate threat for the next decade.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)
This was a decade ago when the league was different. You arent allowed to play defense now as you were then. That team flew around hitting everyone violently. Sure we can cherry pick and find a couple years in the past twenty where a team with a average QB made it to the SB but I personally have seen enough around the league to know that has to be the primary focus of Pace going forward if the Bears are going to be a legitimate threat for the next decade.

Joe Flacco and Eli Manning have 3 rings between them. I don't consider either to be elite QB's. In fact, I would argue Jay isn't much different then either of them. I have a very short list of QB's who win no matter what. That list is Peyton / Brady / Rodgers. Brees is on the outside looking in (as he's been a part of some stinkers). The other win no matter what.

No one else belongs, imo. Cutler absolutely can win if you have a good team around you. He isn't going to carry you on his back the whole way though...only the other 3 guys can do that. Luck has technically done it every year of his career as well.