9/23 at Detroit Tigers

flavum

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
Montas looks like he could be a set up guy next year but he really needs to develop a good change if he wants to start. Fastball command is pretty good but his off-speed pitch doesn't look like an out pitch to me.

I'm the opposite, as I think his slider gets a lot more bad swings than his fastball.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
I'm the opposite, as I think his slider gets a lot more bad swings than his fastball.

It doesn't have a whole lot of depth IMO. I'm kind of skimming between things so maybe I'm catching the bad ones. I just thing he needs another option or he is going to run into a long career of 7-8 pitch at bats and 5 inning starts.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)

In the short time that I've seen him, I completely agree with this. I've seen some pretty rough swings at his slider this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
Montas, Micah Johnson and Avi are the 3 non-veterans that should absolutely be trade bait this offseason if they have value.

What could they possibly get for Avi and Micah besides a fringe prospect? I really think Quintana is the guy to go, as much as I hate to say it.

Montas, Micah Johnson and Avi are the 3 non-veterans that should absolutely be trade bait this offseason if they have value.

Young guys struggle. If Soxtalk was around after Robin Ventura's rookie year, they probably would have demanded his head as a player even louder than as a manager. I don't understand the concept of this guy isn't going to be any good so the Sox should be able to get something decent for him. Other teams know the players probably better than most of us, with the possible exception of posters who watch a lot of minor league baseball, yet they aren't professional scouts. Selling low on prospects makes little sense to me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
Young guys struggle. If Soxtalk was around after Robin Ventura's rookie year, they probably would have demanded his head as a player even louder than as a manager. I don't understand the concept of this guy isn't going to be any good so the Sox should be able to get something decent for him. Other teams know the players probably better than most of us, with the possible exception of posters who watch a lot of minor league baseball, yet they aren't professional scouts. Selling low on prospects makes little sense to me.

Wouldn't be selling low at all on Montas and Johnson. For Johnson, there are teams out there that love their speedy guys who have good OBP. I don't think he's a good fit with the Sox going forward due to the need for improved defense. All it takes is one GM out there to think Montas can be a starter, and you can get very good value for him.

I still wouldn't deal Montas. Judging from today he still has development left as a starter. His value isn't exactly low given his talent, but he definitely has potential and if I'm another GM im asking for him, hoping the White Sox think of Montas as a bullpen guy so they'd get him cheaper.

Bring him up to Charlotte next season and have him develop a consister offspeed pitch. Perhaps he could lose a little bit if his pudge too

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
I still wouldn't deal Montas. Judging from today he still has development left as a starter. His value isn't exactly low given his talent, but he definitely has potential and if I'm another GM im asking for him, hoping the White Sox think of Montas as a bullpen guy so they'd get him cheaper.

Bring him up to Charlotte next season and have him develop a consister offspeed pitch. Perhaps he could lose a little bit if his pudge too

Is a consister offspeed pitch like in Major League 2 when Vaughn lets someone name his pitch if they can hit it?

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)

This. Sox have a lot of value in Montas, he isn't getting traded unless it's a package for a solid piece moving forward. He will likely work on a third pitch in AAA next season and be up later next season.

So Montas has one bad inning and now you want to give up on him as a starter? It's been clear that he's a big project and an unfinished product for a while now. Still too early to make that call. This board can be so reactionary at times.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
So Montas has one bad inning and now you want to give up on him as a starter? It's been clear that he's a big project and an unfinished product for a while now. Still too early to make that call. This board can be so reactionary at times.

I've been saying this since I first saw him pitch on milb.com last year (maybe AFL?). Hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 01:30 PM)

And many of the same people who want to do a full rebuild...