If you traded Sale to Dodgers……...

BamaDoc

42 members have voted

1. 1. Sale to LAD for Seager 3b, Urias LHP, Barnes C, Anderson

• I would never trade Sale
    • It's not enough
    • It's too much, Dodgers would never do it
    • It is the kind of return I would need to reluctantly trade him.

I agree with Fathom on the Sale issue. They would surely get 3-5 good players who can hit. This would be more valuable than the 12-15 wins Sale could get. Maybe get rid of LaRoach, too.

Gotta check it out. It'll give Hahn something to do.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
I agree with Fathom on the Sale issue. They would surely get 3-5 good players who can hit. This would be more valuable than the 12-15 wins Sale could get. Maybe get rid of LaRoach, too.

Gotta check it out. It'll give Hahn something to do.

Highly doubt any team is giving up 3-5 players "who can hit" for one player, especially in the era of the pitcher right now. I think some people are way over-estimating the package we could get.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:56 PM)
Highly doubt any team is giving up 3-5 players "who can hit" for one player, especially in the era of the pitcher right now. I think some people are way over-estimating the package we could get.

Which is the best argument for why we shouldn't trade him any time soon.

Thanks for all the responses. I was working on answers to other posts on what to do for next year but trading Sale to me was a nuclear option and at 18 pages I thought it deserved its own thread. Sorry to those it bothered, but I think this trade proposal is one of best match ups out there. I wanted responses to see if others agreed it was semi realistic. If Dodgers lose Greinke and someone else gets Price stranger things have happened. Seager and Urias represent two of top five prospects in all of baseball, obviously no other team has that. All four players make sense to me. Plug third base and get a potential catcher with OBP skills. A starting pitcher with huge potential and another arm that is way more than a throw in. For those thinking 2017, all four project to be there or semi established by then. By being young, we also would have cost control for some time. I have always considered the negative impact on Sale, Q, Abreu if you bring in a 20 + million player. Even wondered that if Smard signed if that would get any of them to want more. Bringing in young talent would negate that and our team does have a budget. Just thought it was a interesting package and worthy of discussion.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
I will be upset if Sale is moved, but I'd understand why they'd trade him if it helped better the franchise as a whole.

It's all spectulation at this point though. I personally don't think he'll be traded until at least 2017 at the earliest. Maybe later than that.

I would be just as upset if Q is traded.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 07:41 AM)
How many times has a guy signed long term like Sale been traded for a bunch of prospects and it turned out to be a good deal for the team trading the star?

How did it work out for the Mariners by not trading Felix to the Red Sox for the prospects that didn't pan out? Sometimes you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 07:46 AM)
How did it work out for the Mariners by not trading Felix to the Red Sox for the prospects that didn't pan out? Sometimes you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If Felix was pitching well in Boston and they won a WS like they did a couple of years ago, the trade would look lopsided. Frankly, if the Sox are going to suck, I'd rather have them suck with Sale going out there every fifth day than a bunch of junk shuttling between Charlotte and Chicago. Besides, the Mariners can still trade Felix. You're pretty much stuck with the junk when you have a collection of busted prospects.

Edited by Dick Allen

Shoot, I love Sale, but I'd do that first proposed trade in a second. Listen, Seager could fill the 3B hole, you'd have Tim Anderson filling the SS hole soon enough. Sanchez, Abreu. That's an awesome infield going forward 2017 on. By 2017 Urias would be up. You'd have him Rodon, Q, Fulmer and a ton of money to spend from the expiring contracts of Danks and LaRoche. You'd be able to slot Melky to DH for that final year, and then spend big on an OF. I'd do that trade 20 times over. However, I think even getting JUST those two, they'd laugh.

I'm actually for an overhaul right now. If that means Sale, so be it. Not saying it'll happen, but people always talk about his mechanics. What if his arm goes out tomorrow? Then again what if it never does. Truth be told, we have more depth at pitching than anywhere else. Sale would net us more than anybody else. I'm for it. If we can improve 3B and C and OF all by just trading one player? See ya. Otherwise I don't see how this team improves to the point where we are competing year in and year out.

The armchair GM in me can see the benefit to considering this line of thought. The other armchair GM in me would NEVER make this trade from the Dodgers perspective, because it's a MASSIVE risk to take in order to acquire something I already have more of than most teams -- elite front end pitching.

The fan in me would absolutely hate not having Sale anymore. The fan in me would hate even more the idea of someone ELSE having Sale.

I don't want to do it.

The answer is no. Now go to your room and finish your homework.

When discussing possible Sale trades everyone seems to leave out something. Namely what does Sale want?

I've never heard or seen anything indicating he wants out...yet.

But keep in mind when the season ends in two weeks he'll have five and a half years of service in the big leagues...and still won't have ever pitched in a post season game.

That has got to be bothering a guy as competitive as he is.

Sooner or later (probably sooner) if the Sox continue to look like buffoons on a baseball diamond Sale (or his agent) are going to cross a line and say "I'm leaving when my deal is up so trade me for what you can and get me out of here."

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)
When discussing possible Sale trades everyone seems to leave out something. Namely what does Sale want?

But keep in mind when the season ends in two weeks he'll have five and a half years of service in the big leagues...and still won't have ever pitched in a post season game.

Sooner or later (probably sooner) if the Sox continue to look like buffoons on a baseball diamond Sale (or his agent) are going to cross a line and say "I'm leaving when my deal is up so trade me for what you can and get me out of here."

Mark

If Sale didn't want to be a White Sox, he wouldn't have signed the ridiculously team friendly contract he signed. I know doom and gloom is in.

The funny thing is, players as a rule, seem to really enjoy playing for the White Sox. Why do you ignore that?

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 10:48 AM)

Mark

According to Chris Sale:

"There's something to be said for being with a team your whole career and going through the ups and downs," Sale said. "I've been up, I've been down, and I think for me, I would love to win.

"I would love to be on a winning team, but I just want it to be here. I don't want to go anywhere else. I don't want to be in a different uniform just because they are good now."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/138478112/ch...-sox-resurgence

speculation runs rampant. But, my personal opinion is and always has been is you build on your srengths and not tear your team down. Free agency has changed the need to do a lot of trading. Sale and Quintana are strengths we should keep

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
According to Chris Sale:

"There's something to be said for being with a team your whole career and going through the ups and downs," Sale said. "I've been up, I've been down, and I think for me, I would love to win.

"I would love to be on a winning team, but I just want it to be here. I don't want to go anywhere else. I don't want to be in a different uniform just because they are good now."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/138478112/ch...-sox-resurgence

What is a player supposed to say? Quotes to the media mean absolutely nothing to me? Is he supposed to say he wants to be on a winning team only? Then the media and fans would turn to him during times like this and say he doesn't want to be a good teammate. There's no winning saying anything other than what he has said. I could really care less what Sale wants. Not be armchair GM here, but I just think you trade from your excess to make up for your areas you are weak in. If it's Sale? Okay. If its Rodon, Okay. If its Quintana, okay. But you better fix more than one position with this trade. Trading and fixing just catcher when giving up your most prized possession doesnt work for me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
If Sale didn't want to be a White Sox, he wouldn't have signed the ridiculously team friendly contract he signed. I know doom and gloom is in.

The funny thing is, players as a rule, seem to really enjoy playing for the White Sox. Why do you ignore that?

When Sale signed that deal as I recall he said he did it because he wanted some security for himself and eventually his family. Also when Sale signed that deal a few years ago the Sox weren't in as bad a shape as they are right now in most areas save for financially.

Things change don't they?

I find it hard to imagine that Sale has to be happy about the overall state of the team the past few years and again I go back to his competitiveness and how that flares up from time to time.

No athlete with that kind of fire wants to spend a career and not get the chance to showcase his talent on the biggest stage and I've been around pro athletes for almost 40 years so I do know a little something about it.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
When Sale signed that deal as I recall he said he did it because he wanted some security for himself and eventually his family. Also when Sale signed that deal a few years ago the Sox weren't in as bad a shape as they are right now in most areas save for financially.

Things change don't they?

I find it hard to imagine that Sale has to be happy about the overall state of the team the past few years and again I go back to his competitiveness and how that flares up from time to time.

No athlete with that kind of fire wants to spend a career and not get the chance to showcase his talent on the biggest stage and I've been around pro athletes for almost 40 years so I do know a little something about it.

Mark

He signed it in March of 2013. They lost 99, then 89, and this year it should be fewer than that. Trending up. It really amazes me how many people have their favorite thing to do is to complain about something you have no control over. If it depresses you that much, I am sure professionals would tell you that you should probably spend your time doing something else. In the end, it's just a game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
He signed it in March of 2013. They lost 99, then 89, and this year it should be fewer than that. Trending up. It really amazes me how many people have their favorite thing to do is to complain about something you have no control over. If it depresses you that much, I am sure professionals would tell you that you should probably spend your time doing something else. In the end, it's just a game.

Dick:

That's why we are called fans. Logic need not apply.

All I'll say to your post which I consider rather naïve and a touch snarky is that the Sox have been a big part of my life for 55 seasons.

I'll never turn my back on them. By the same token that doesn't mean I condone mediocrity or worse. I have every right to point out my feelings about them as do you. Last I looked that's what a message board is for.

I appreciate the fact that you are trying to look out for my mental and psychological well being though. I'll be sure to let my doctor know how much you care. Now I understand some of the things I was told by some when I started writing for this site regarding some of the posters.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1