GT: White Sox (72-80) @ Yankees (83-68) 7:05ET/6:05CT

Eminor3rd

I am coming out of the bushes to make this gamethread because I will be enjoying this fantastic pitching match-up from a luxury box at Yankee Stadium and I could not resist the opportunity to gloat about it.

I would love nothing more than to bask in the anger of those around me as our Sox play spoiler behind our dominating, enviable ace.

I shall endeavor to post lineups when said lineups become available to post.

As usual, I forgot to put the date in the thread title. If a moderator would be so kind to rectify this, I would be grateful for minutes on end. If not, none of us will lose any sleep.

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
I am coming out of the bushes to make this gamethread because I will be enjoying this fantastic pitching match-up from a luxury box at Yankee Stadium and I could not resist the opportunity to gloat about it.

I would love nothing more than to bask in the anger of those around me as our Sox play spoiler behind our dominating, enviable ace.

I shall endeavor to post lineups when said lineups become available to post.

As usual, I forgot to put the date in the thread title. If a moderator would be so kind to rectify this, I would be grateful for minutes on end. If not, none of us will lose any sleep.

Not so much lately

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
Anyone else not have a good feeling about Sale tonight? I hope he puts on his big boy pants and doesn't fall apart against a good offensive team

I recall a big start in 2012 where he straight-up dominated the Yankees. IIRC he's pretty good against better teams.

That being said, he hasn't been nearly as sharp lately as he was earlier this year, so I don think it's fair to not have a good feeling about him tonight.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
I really dont see the reason why we still have Chris out there this time of year.

I continue to think it's also very smart to get him throwing extra innings at this time of year to stretch his arm out on the off chance that he is needed in a playoff run during these next couple years. This is endurance training.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
I continue to think it's also very smart to get him throwing extra innings at this time of year to stretch his arm out on the off chance that he is needed in a playoff run during these next couple years. This is endurance training.

Agreed. Shutting down pitchers should only be a thing when they're sore and the team is out of the race, they're recovering from a major injury and the team is out of the race, they're rookies not used to throwing so many innings.

As far as I know, Sale isn't sore or pitching through an injury, so we should let him pitch. Endurance training, like you said.

Agreed, I don't see any reason to treat him with kid gloves right now, if he's still getting tired at the end of the year then giving him an early rest isn't going to help him in the future if we need him for an extended run.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
Agreed. Shutting down pitchers should only be a thing when they're sore and the team is out of the race, they're recovering from a major injury and the team is out of the race, they're rookies not used to throwing so many innings.

As far as I know, Sale isn't sore or pitching through an injury, so we should let him pitch. Endurance training, like you said.

They never said it but the "giving him extra rest and begging the AL All stars not to pitch him" sure made it sound like he was tired and dead-armed at that point, and a couple weeks later he had the worst stretch of his career. If we want him to win a cy young or compete with the rest of the league, that dead arm can't happen, and he's going to have to pitch >200 innings of high quality ball for either of those to happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
They never said it but the "giving him extra rest and begging the AL All stars not to pitch him" sure made it sound like he was tired and dead-armed at that point, and a couple weeks later he had the worst stretch of his career. If we want him to win a cy young or compete with the rest of the league, that dead arm can't happen, and he's going to have to pitch >200 innings of high quality ball for either of those to happen.

But I also worry that a pitcher w a dead arm is more susceptible to over-throwing and getting hurt. But I am not a medical person and there may be no danger.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
But I also worry that a pitcher w a dead arm is more susceptible to over-throwing and getting hurt. But I am not a medical person and there may be no danger.

While that's true, if Chris Sale is going to get hurt during his last 14 innings this season because he's overworked, then he'll never be able to be a full time starter.

What are we going to do to avoid that next year if he can't get to 200 innings this year? Go back to the "one start off per month" rule? Shut him down every July so that he has enough left in the tank to pitch down the stretch? Limit him to 180 innings just in case this org ever reaches the playoffs again? I can't find any way to make that make sense to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
While that's true, if Chris Sale is going to get hurt during his last 14 innings this season because he's overworked, then he'll never be able to be a full time starter.

What are we going to do to avoid that next year if he can't get to 200 innings this year? Go back to the "one start off per month" rule? Shut him down every July so that he has enough left in the tank to pitch down the stretch? Limit him to 180 innings just in case this org ever reaches the playoffs again? I can't find any way to make that make sense to me.

I agree -- at some point, he's going to have to do it so that we know he CAN do it again. Conditioning is everything.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
I agree -- at some point, he's going to have to do it so that we know he CAN do it again. Conditioning is everything.

One caveat: If the White Sox thought there was a >50% chance Sale was traded during the offseason then shutting him down would be the correct move.

And just to add another angle besides conditioning, the Yankees are playing for something. There does need to be a certain level of integrity of the teams that are out of it. I'm not a fan of the September 40-man rules and shutting guys down, especially now that 5 of 15 teams make the postseason. There are so many more meaningful late season games than there used to be. Unless there's an injury going on, teams should be trying.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
And just to add another angle besides conditioning, the Yankees are playing for something. There does need to be a certain level of integrity of the teams that are out of it. I'm not a fan of the September 40-man rules and shutting guys down, especially now that 5 of 15 teams make the postseason. There are so many more meaningful late season games than there used to be. Unless there's an injury going on, teams should be trying.

Blue Jays might complain about the lineup that's trotted out for the Sox. "I thought they were supposed to field a competitive team?" they might say.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
One caveat: If the White Sox thought there was a >50% chance Sale was traded during the offseason then shutting him down would be the correct move.

Unless some teams are balking because they thought another shutdown was evidence of an injury or that he could simply never handle 200 innings.

But yeah, risks on both sides of the coin there.

Bingo. If you want him ready to go 230-250 innings in a year or two, you have to have him in the 200 to 220 range this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)

#2 would be if he is already hurting that we don't know about, shut him down.

Other than that, run him out there like you normally would.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 12:41 PM)
Blue Jays might complain about the lineup that's trotted out for the Sox. "I thought they were supposed to field a competitive team?" they might say.

They may complain....until they realize what our competitive lineup looks like.