White Sox official website has a possible Quintana trade chip post

Knackattack

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How in the hell could Quintana be undervalued? In the last years these are the pitching leaders in fWAR:

1. Kershaw 22.7

2. Price 16.9

3. Scherzer 16.7

4. Sale 16.2

5. Kluber 15.4

6. Hernandez 14.4

7. Lester 13.7

8. Quintana 13.3

9. Greinke 13.3

10. Bumgarner 13.2

And then when his contract is this for the next possible 5 years he is not undervalued.

2016: $3.8M

2017: $6M

2018: $8.8M

2019 Team Option: $10.5M ($1M buyout)

2020 Team Option: $10.5M ($1M buyout)

If Quintana is traded he better bring a hefty return.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
How in the hell could Quintana be undervalued? In the last years these are the pitching leaders in fWAR:

1. Kershaw 22.7

2. Price 16.9

3. Scherzer 16.7

4. Sale 16.2

5. Kluber 15.4

6. Hernandez 14.4

7. Lester 13.7

8. Quintana 13.3

9. Greinke 13.3

10. Bumgarner 13.2

And then when his contract is this for the next possible 5 years he is not undervalued.

You're just proving why he could very well be undervalued. You think of the elite pitchers in baseball, those other 9 immediately would come to mind. Q would not.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
You're just proving why he could very well be undervalued. You think of the elite pitchers in baseball, those other 9 immediately would come to mind. Q would not.

What the general public thinks doesn't matter. If the Sox don't get an absolute haul, they won't trade him. That much I am convinced of. You're wasting your time worrying about it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 01:03 AM)
It should be both, to be honest.

Like, the Hamel package + Gallo is what it should have been.

i like the potential of a nice rtn for Q, if Q is indeed on the trade list.

dang, i wish the WS is over and we the fans can enjoy the arz league and the cap league and the black hawks and of course the off season with the managers mtg and all.

how is that with the and..... ;)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 01:39 AM)
And I'd bet you are wrong. Name value still means something even at the highest levels. Just ask the Padres for an extreme example.

it is really simple. the sox will ask for a pkg and if the other teams kind of balks.... then the sox will walk away.

i wish i remember 1 or the posters came up with a call example that was extremely funny on something like this. damn from now on, i am going to do a cut and paste.

does anyone remember who was the poster???

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 02:56 AM)

1. Kershaw 22.7

2. Price 16.9

3. Scherzer 16.7

4. Sale 16.2

5. Kluber 15.4

6. Hernandez 14.4

7. Lester 13.7

8. Quintana 13.3

9. Greinke 13.3

10. Bumgarner 13.2

excellent research. and look at the salary of those in the list and compare it to Q....... that in itself is the selling point.

Trading him would be so stupid. To be a contender for wildcard anytime soon we need good pitching.

Rotation should be Sale, Johnson, Quintana, Righty free agent veteran we acquire somewhere, and Rodon. Danks bullpen!

Put our promising youngsters in the damn bullpen which has sucked during our recent years of suckage. Actually put some guys in the pen who can actually get guys out on a consistent basis. Not rag arm stiffs.

So how do we improve the crap lineup? Trade the guy we took No. 1 this year plus another prospect for an MLB catcher, sign a couple free agents while really truly trying to trade Duke, Melky and LaRoche. It makes no sense to trade Q if we are trying to win anything.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
I really, really hope we don't trade him.

Trading Quintana would turn a major strength into a league-average position for us.

I really, truly agree with this. They truly blew it not dealing Shark, who was NOT needed to finish last in the Central. Losing Q would really weaken this starting staff. Look: Sale, EJ, Q, Righty free agent veteran, Rodon is a good rotation. Bullpen of Robertson closer, Danks, the guy we took No. 1 in the draft, is a good start in the pen with Nate. Get rid of Duke, Petricka, any of the other hacks who simply are NOT CONSISTENT in getting anybody out. Do what the Royals do and let Danks, the guy we took No. 1 in the draft, Nate and Robertson develop some chemistry and become a lock down bullpen!! You can't win with a "sometimes good, most times s***ty" bullpen nowadays!!

Edited by greg775

They have to replace Shark. In a year they have to replace Danks. Why would they also choose to trade Quintana. They would need 3 new starting pitchers in 2 seasons and are any of them going to be as good as Quintana? Nope.

"We're going to need 2 new starting pitchers. Let's trade away Quintana too and replace with 3 pitchers who are all worse than Quintana." Does that make any sense or seem like a reasonably likely thing to happen?

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:47 AM)
They have to replace Shark. In a year they have to replace Danks. Why would they also choose to trade Quintana. They would need 3 new starting pitchers in 2 seasons and are any of them going to be as good as Quintana? Nope.

"We're going to need 2 new starting pitchers. Let's trade away Quintana too and replace with 3 pitchers who are all worse than Quintana." Does that make any sense or seem like a reasonably likely thing to happen?

Great post! True we're a last place team now and one of the worst in the AL, but if the goal is to actually make the playoffs we have to keep the strong pitching staff and ask our GM to figure ways to make the everyday lineup better. Look, Melky and LaRoche are not going to discover the fountain of youth. God to get rid of them somehow. Addition by subtraction. Pray Thompson can play LF and hit .280 with some power and pray Avi can learn how to hit to go with our good CF.

Sign the best free agent 3B available and trade prospects for a catcher to go with Flowers or Soto. Cut the loser of that battle. Sox got to figure a way to hit some home runs. But don't turn a decent pitching staff into an average one or we're really f***ed.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 12:47 AM)

That makes no sense. Of course you are not going to trade him for 3 pitchers who are all worse. But would you trade him for a starting 3B and C or a SS and CF. If you can fill 2 offensive holes w players who can hit and defend in positions like 3B, SS C or Of in a trade w 1 or 2 good prospects then you really consider it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 11:35 PM)
So how do we improve the crap lineup? Trade the guy we took No. 1 this year plus another prospect for an MLB catcher, sign a couple free agents while really truly trying to trade Duke, Melky and LaRoche. It makes no sense to trade Q if we are trying to win anything.

Absolutely not. We need the pitching depth. there are a few ML catchers who can hit anyway.

Once again , trade Eaton. And if he's as good as everyone thinks he is, fantastic. That means we'll get more for him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
it is really simple. the sox will ask for a pkg and if the other teams kind of balks.... then the sox will walk away.

i wish i remember 1 or the posters came up with a call example that was extremely funny on something like this. damn from now on, i am going to do a cut and paste.

does anyone remember who was the poster???

If this is what you're referring to, then it was me

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
Losing 2-1 is not a lot of fun.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
Losing 9-4 wouldn't be fun either.

Over the years, I've somehow come to develop this deep rooted sense that free agent bats come here to die. It's probably somewhere in between, but I think I'm done with the days of getting excited that a bat has been acquired.

Ideally, any bat they do acquire would be one that some other organization- preferably one that doesn't teach their hitters how to play soccer (or more specifically, not hitting baseballs) in the minors like the Sox do- has let develop and were ready to pluck for themselves. I don't know that I trust these guys to find someone like that, and I'd hate to see them miss like that at the expense of Quintana.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)

Except guys that get paid a lot more then us have access to these sorts of metrics, and a lot more. Even if fans don't know this stuff, a lot of baseball execs do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
Except guys that get paid a lot more then us have access to these sorts of metrics, and a lot more. Even if fans don't know this stuff, a lot of baseball execs do.

Honestly I have zero belief that if the execs were to rate the top 20 pitchers in baseball that Quintana would make the list.

Look at how he doesn't make the top 50 value pieces in baseball over and over.

There is a global conspiracy to believe this great pitcher is great.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
Honestly I have zero belief that if the execs were to rate the top 20 pitchers in baseball that Quintana would make the list.

Look at how he doesn't make the top 50 value pieces in baseball over and over.

There is a global conspiracy to believe this great pitcher is great.

Fangraphs had Quintana at #41 in their top 50 trade value column, and pretty much said 30-50 could be interchangeable without much argument.