Hahn Confirms: Ventura back for 2016

Dunt

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 8, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
Against RHP, LaRoche had a .697 OPS with 12 HRs and 37 RBIs. Shuck had a .694 OPS with O HRs and 14 RBIs. How exactly would replacing LaRoche's bat with Shucks help anything?

Not exactly a strong argument because of the sample size, but Shuck had an OPS of .931 with runners in scoring position while LaRoche had a measly .631 OPS. When Shuck was in the lineup I always felt he at least had a chance to get on base despite being a average 4th OF. LaRoche was an automatic out this year. The Sox would have been better off batting the pitcher.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Rick Hahn. Only working for the organization about 10 years before he was elevated into the GM role, he had no idea what he was getting in to.

He clearly has wanted to fire Ventura since he got the job. You can get that from, well I don't know where you can get that from, but you know it is true. Every move that is made that doesn't work out, you know he had nothing to do with it. It is all that idiot KW. You can tell by all the moves that do work out, Hahn is a man with a plan. KW obviously has nothing to do with those, and they were all Rick.

I am sure he didn't see the evil KW or JR coming. Poor guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
Poor Rick Hahn. Only working for the organization about 10 years before he was elevated into the GM role, he had no idea what he was getting in to.

He clearly has wanted to fire Ventura since he got the job. You can get that from, well I don't know where you can get that from, but you know it is true. Every move that is made that doesn't work out, you know he had nothing to do with it. It is all that idiot KW. You can tell by all the moves that do work out, Hahn is a man with a plan. KW obviously has nothing to do with those, and they were all Rick.

I am sure he didn't see the evil KW or JR coming. Poor guy.

Couldnt agree more with that post.

I did find this headline at the White Sox web site for their latest story interesting:

"Sox to rely on improvement of core in 2016

Club unlikely to make drastic changes, believes pieces are in place to compete."

Who knows if this means anything for sure, but I will say if they do very little and actually believe this, another bad April start and U.S. Cellular Field will be a ghost town by June 2016.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)
I did find this headline at the White Sox web site for their latest story interesting:

Club unlikely to make drastic changes, believes pieces are in place to compete."

Who knows if this means anything for sure, but I will say if they do very little and actually believe this, another bad April start and U.S. Cellular Field will be a ghost town by June 2016.

Mark

While I wouldn't take that article as anything more than a typical Merkin fluff piece, I will say that Hahn & company are clearly incompetent if they actually believe that minor changes are all that are needed to right this ship.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
While I wouldn't take that article as anything more than a typical Merkin fluff piece, I will say that Hahn & company are clearly incompetent if they actually believe that minor changes are all that are needed to right this ship.

i don' t think this is on hahn, but higher up on the purse strings. esp if they don't do anything with adam l.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)
No way they can look at this team and think..."Hmm keep this the way it is and we'll win." This lineup is dogs***. They need to add two impact bats at least. We need another starter. Oh and this team sucks fundamentally.

This team should sell no tickets barring a complete overhaul. As the team stands today, it's worse than this year's bunch which means 11 to 25 below .500. Or more if they quit. At least this year's team didn't quit. It just sucked.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Except for Rick Hahn...

True

He just extended his 99 loss manager.

Hahn could have distanced himself from this operation. Jerry Dipoto did from the Angels. Hahn has chosen not to. He's part of it.

i hope they are saying that just as cover for an off-season in which they are trying to build up the depth of young player talent.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)

Believing that minor changes are all that is needed is very much consistent with how they behaved during the season. No moves whatsoever at any of the trade deadlines, little change in coaching staff after the season, "If we keep playing like this we'll be right there in the end".

Saw an interesting quote today from Tony LaRussa and how much impact a manager has on a game / season. Just wanted to share it for discussion purposes and you can apply it or not to Ventura:

"To be really good you have to be a solid decision maker but if your team doesn't play with effort, though, you're a total failure."

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 11:32 AM)

Mark

I love how you love to start trouble with moaning. You obviously failed to mention you actually read the article which would make the title all wrong. The quotes were from players who thought the roster was good enough, not one quote from management. But if you can get this out there to moan, more power to you. Why don't you read the article and tell us why we should believe they will not make significant changes, I guess it wouldn't fall in line with your constant complaining. Moaning about everything, to borrow one on your lines, that's how Lip rolls.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Believing that minor changes are all that is needed is very much consistent with how they behaved during the season. No moves whatsoever at any of the trade deadlines, little change in coaching staff after the season, "If we keep playing like this we'll be right there in the end".

Yes, I heard both Robin and Hahn say we just got off to a bad start, just after the AS break. I think they believe they're close. Personally I think even if we had started the year 10-0 we would of never been close. I really don't expect much this off yr. because of this line of thinking.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
Yes, I heard both Robin and Hahn say we just got off to a bad start, just after the AS break. I think they believe they're close. Personally I think even if we had started the year 10-0 we would of never been close. I really don't expect much this off yr. because of this line of thinking.

We'll see what happens but given the realistic chance season ticket sales are going to drop perhaps dramatically the Sox probably won't have as much money to throw away on guys in their 30's heading downhill. Honestly I don't see how they can go about getting the talent they need other than trying to sign some guys and hope and maybe swing a deal.

They still don't have enough young major league ready talent in the minors to either replace the guys they deal or somehow get younger talent who may be ready to play.

I think they are between a rock and a hard place and don't really know yet what the plan is, despite Kenny assuring everyone he has one.

The proof is in the pudding, we'll see, but the bottom line is the same folks who got the Sox into this mess are supposedly the ones going to get them out of it.

Hate being so negative but that's what you get when the franchise is going through their worst period of baseball record wise since 1968-1980.

Win games (a lot of them) and everything is solved from attendance to fan reaction to advertising and such.

Right now the record shows the Sox seem incapable of doing this.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
We'll see what happens but given the realistic chance season ticket sales are going to drop perhaps dramatically the Sox probably won't have as much money to throw away on guys in their 30's heading downhill. Honestly I don't see how they can go about getting the talent they need other than trying to sign some guys and hope and maybe swing a deal.

They still don't have enough young major league ready talent in the minors to either replace the guys they deal or somehow get younger talent who may be ready to play.

I think they are between a rock and a hard place and don't really know yet what the plan is, despite Kenny assuring everyone he has one.

The proof is in the pudding, we'll see, but the bottom line is the same folks who got the Sox into this mess are supposedly the ones going to get them out of it.

Hate being so negative but that's what you get when the franchise is going through their worst period of baseball record wise since 1968-1980.

Win games (a lot of them) and everything is solved from attendance to fan reaction to advertising and such.

Right now the record shows the Sox seem incapable of doing this.

Mark

How was 1986-1989?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 05:58 PM)
How was 1986-1989?

They averaged 72.25 wins over those 4 years. Over the last 3, we've averaged 70.666667.

"We should continue on the path we're on now. Stay the course, we're right there! After all, if we didn't go all-in, we might wind up with a losing skid as bad as the late 1980s."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
They averaged 72.25 wins over those 4 years. Over the last 3, we've averaged 70.666667.

"We should continue on the path we're on now. Stay the course, we're right there! After all, if we didn't go all-in, we might wind up with a losing skid as bad as the late 1980s."

How many have they averaged over the last 4? A little over 74. Seems like the stretch I mentioned would be worse unless you need more cherry picking for complaining"s sake.

You are already on record as saying they will be bad the rest of the decade.

Edited by Dick Allen

For those who may not understand the context please allow me to explain.

The time period from 2007 through 2015 has netted the Sox six losing seasons in nine years.

From that historical standpoint it is the worst stretch of baseball for the franchise since 1968 through 1980. That time period resulted in two winning seasons, one .500 season and nine losing seasons.

I trust this will clear up the confusion.

The late 80's and the late 90's have nothing on right now as far as sustained poor baseball results. The late 80's had four losing seasons in a row, that's all. The late 90's had four losing seasons in five years, that's all.

Both of those stretches also had the Sox then going on some very good periods...something very hard to imagine at this point in time.

Mark

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
True

He just extended his 99 loss manager.

Hahn could have distanced himself from this operation. Jerry Dipoto did from the Angels. Hahn has chosen not to. He's part of it.

i hope they are saying that just as cover for an off-season in which they are trying to build up the depth of young player talent.

Jerry Dipoto lost a power struggle in an organization that valued loyalty to its manager over its front office.