Sox Fire Mark Parent

shysocks

QUOTE (MindGame2004 @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
Great question. The Jerry loyalty clause? McEwing came up from Charlotte, no? I don't have an answer. Why was Parent expendable other than not being able to speak Spanish? They couldn't find another role for him in the organization? Did he want one? All great questions.

I liked the Steverson hire when they made it. Based on the results, either he's bad at his job or they don't listen to him. They're not blaming him for the lack of getting on base, so it if isn't his fault, whose is it? If the players are professional and not accountable for their production why do you pay a hitting coach?

Again, great question. No idea why he's still here.

Whoever becomes manager, you get Don Cooper. I don't have an answer for that either. I know that Jeff Samardzija wasn't great but also wasn't as bad until he started throwing under Cooper. It doesn't really matter who they hire as manager. If he can't bring in his own guys and has to keep Cooper, it matters little.

The point is Jerry loves his kids. We know this. The organization needs a serious cleansing from top to bottom. If we're going to live off of one championship that was ten years ago, cool. Bring in people who know what they're doing so we can win more. There are people all over the game that know the information, how to use it and can at least attempt to put the team in position to be good and stay good. We're seeing nothing but business as usual to this point. Look outside of your own circle and actually interview people for these jobs.

Parent was fired because of reasons that are only own to people in the org (at least thats what it souned like from reading the highlights from White Sox Weekly). We know that he was not as sabermetric friendly as Hahn (and Ventura?) would like and that he has had run ins with players on the team.

What makes you think Severson is bad at his job, its not his fault that players like Alexi completely reverted. Another thing to consider when judging Severson is the success of position players have been having at the plate in the minors when it comes to their development.

Cooper is one of the best pithcing coaches in all of baseball, if not the best. You're going to be hard pressed to find one just as good, so I have no problem with him staying.

And a lot of this Jerry loyalty thing is overblown. We all knew that Robin was not going to get fired, its not the Sox thing to just fire people with time left on their contracts and when yu think about it, this past year is the firt real hiccup to happen under Robin's tenure.

Laumann is no longer the scouting director is also worth pointing out.

Edited by Joshua Strong

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MindGame2004 @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
That's what it boils down to.

Parent and Baines gone, but look, we're changing things up!

What's sad is there is a portion of the fanbase they're fooling in doing so, but I think the majority of us know it is nothing more than scapegoating, as you said.

Firing anyone is except the players is pretty much scapegoating.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
Parent was fired because of reasons that are only own to people in the org (at least thats what it souned like from reading the highlights from White Sox Weekly). We know that he was not as sabermetric friendly as Hahn (and Ventura?) would like and that he has had run ins with players on the team.

What makes you think Severson is bad at his job, its not his fault that players like Alexi completely reverted. Another thing to consider when judging Severson is the success of position players have been having at the plate in the minors when it comes to their development.

Cooper is one of the best pithcing coaches in all of baseball, if not the best. You're going to be hard pressed to find one just as good, so I have no problem with him staying.

And a lot of this Jerry loyalty thing is overblown. We all knew that Robin was not going to get fired, its not the Sox thing to just fire people with time left on their contracts and when yu think about it, this past year is the firt real hiccup to happen under Robin's tenure.

Laumann is no longer the scouting director is also worth pointing out.

I personally never understood why Coop is regarded as one of the best pitching coaches in the game.

Did he have his fair share of reclamation successes? (Thornton, Putnam, etc) Yes. Have pitchers struggled under his guidance? (Samardzija, Danks, Downs, Belisario) Yes.

I don't see the love for him personally.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
I personally never understood why Coop is regarded as one of the best pitching coaches in the game.

Did he have his fair share of reclamation successes? (Thornton, Putnam, etc) Yes. Have pitchers struggled under his guidance? (Samardzija, Danks, Downs, Belisario) Yes.

Downs was an old bum. Belisario wasn't some ace. Danks was very good under Coop and then had a shoulder surgery. Shark is about the only high profile failure under Coop I can think of. He's had guys he hasn't been able to correct but he is really good at what he does.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)

Since Cooper became the White Sox pitching coach in 2002 the Sox are 3rd in the MLB in pitching WAR (1st in SP WAR), only behind the Dodgers and Yankees (who both have a slim margin over us).

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
We have been about as good as possible when it comes to health and our starters. When our best player is Chris Sale, that matters a lot. Keep Cooper around as long as possible, even if that's the only reason (it isn't).

Also, there's a good chance Sale never becomes an ace under another team's guidance.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)

Danks arm has pretty much fallen off after his shoulder surgery. That isn't Coopers fault, it is bad luck. Its either that or you have to give Cooper credit for getting Danks back to being a serviceable pitcher this past season.

Some blamed Coop for MacDougal, Linebrink, Aardsma, Sisco and Masset.

Danks and Floyd regressed...Danks hurt. Crain and Jenks got hurt as well.

Javy V. was never going to be straightened out.

Blaming him for Paulino or Erik Johnson would be really pushing it.

Maybe Liriano and Myers didn't click with him in 2012.

A lot more success stories: Marte, Contreras, Loaiza, Thornton, Quintana, Humber, Jon Garland, Danks and Floyd early in their Sox careers, Crain and all the rookies in 2012, Hector Santiago, Putnam, Albers, Petricka, Nate Jones, Jenks, Sale, etc. Politte, Hermanson and Cotts in 2005.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
Some blamed Coop for MacDougal, Linebrink, Aardsma, Sisco and Masset.

Danks and Floyd regressed...Danks hurt. Crain and Jenks got hurt as well.

Javy V. was never going to be straightened out.

Blaming him for Paulino or Erik Johnson would be really pushing it.

Maybe Liriano and Myers didn't click with him in 2012.

A lot more success stories: Marte, Contreras, Loaiza, Thornton, Quintana, Humber, Jon Garland, Danks and Floyd early in their Sox careers, Crain and all the rookies in 2012, Hector Santiago, Putnam, Albers, Petricka, Nate Jones, Jenks, Sale, etc. Politte, Hermanson and Cotts in 2005.

Liriano is a good example of a guy Coop couldn't turn around, but it's hard to blame him too. He basically did with us exactly what he did with Minnesota that year.

Also hard to give Coop credit for all of those guys, especially some of the relievers. But Contreras, Loaiza, Thornton, Quintana - those are the standout examples.