Sox Fire Mark Parent

shysocks

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Which tells me that Ventura isn't as secure as the torch bearers want to believe.

It's interesting. Alomar's resume doesn't really leap out to me as "ready to be a manager." Which is okay - he could learn on the job managing for Ventura while Ventura keeps the clubhouse wholesome. It would be good experience for Alomar's career, with the Sox or elsewhere.

I've heard names like Acta mentioned - but he's a vetted, experienced manager, which could really cause Ventura to look over his shoulder. While I don't think Ventura knows what he's doing, having someone looking over your shoulder and wanting your job isn't healthy either.

I like the Alomar approach.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)
It's interesting. Alomar's resume doesn't really leap out to me as "ready to be a manager." Which is okay - he could learn on the job managing for Ventura while Ventura keeps the clubhouse wholesome. It would be good experience for Alomar's career, with the Sox or elsewhere.

I've heard names like Acta mentioned - but he's a vetted, experienced manager, which could really cause Ventura to look over his shoulder. While I don't think Ventura knows what he's doing, having someone looking over your shoulder and wanting your job isn't healthy either.

What does he need to be ready to be a manager? He has coaching experience. Bench coach experience. I would imagine all that he is missing is message board experience.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)

Alomar has been mentioned as manager ready for years now. Heck he was one of the names that people kicked around when Ventura was hired.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
Alomar has been mentioned as manager ready for years now. Heck he was one of the names that people kicked around when Ventura was hired.

I thought he was the odds on favorite. They were talking him up as a future manager when he was still playing.

If he does get hired, he had a house in Bucktown that he just sold a couple of weeks ago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
I thought he was the odds on favorite. They were talking him up as a future manager when he was still playing.

If he does get hired, he had a house in Bucktown that he just sold a couple of weeks ago.

Would be a big fan of him as manager. I love former catchers as managers. Essentially the captain on the field as they are involved in everything.

Plus he played for the Sox so he meets Jerry's criteria haha

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Would be a big fan of him as manager. I love former catchers as managers. Essentially the captain on the field as they are involved in everything.

Plus he played for the Sox so he meets Jerry's criteria haha

This could be the reason why other teams are not interested in him. Everything is comfy in Sox land. No accountability in the organization. That's why players like it here.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
Baines quit. I don't feel like starting another thread.

I feel your malaise, Flav. The Ventura return has me committed to disinvesting my interest - if they're firing Parent, it means he hasn't given RV the proper help on the bench - which means they know he still needs help...heading into his 5th season. And yet, somehow, they're convinced he's still the right man for the gig? IT JUST DOESN'T WASH.

We're in that long wait period that I've been dreading. The kind and wealthy owner wants the sports ownership part of his life to be less cutthroat than the business dealings that made him rich in the first place, so he cultivates a family atmosphere, which is great, but now, as he ages and naturally becomes more sentimental, it overrides everything, and necessary tough decisions can't be made. There's pressure, but it's not the same, because none of the inner circle can possibly get canned. This will be a LONG wait, that parallels the Blackhawks in the mid '90's, except for the owner being kind part. We can only hope to come out of it half as well.

I've always been an optimist, but it's waning. The Cubs are irrelevant in my mind, but their popularity will be a convenient excuse if we lose our beloved to another city due to horrific management. That would kill my sports fandom entirely, and it's possible given that JR has no timetable for retirement - but make no mistake, THAT's what we're all waiting for.

You won't see my surly a$$ around here again until RV's firing or resignation day. At least then, I'll know that SOMEone in the org has finally admitted the most obvious of mistakes. Until then, enjoy the respite.

On that happy note, I bid you adieu. Peace, bros.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

For everyone supporting Ventura despite everything, those fans can't help but acknowledge it's starting to drive even the best White Sox fans away from something they used to feel so passionate about.

While Maddon isn't a genius, he's at least competent...it doesn't take much to see what a positive and enthusiastic manager can do to revitalize a franchise and get renewed buy-in from veteran players rather than falling off a cliff.

The Cubs with Maddon, the Rangers with Banister, the Royals with Yost..they recognized changes were necessary, the Astros with Hinch, etc. If you listen to their post-game press conferences and read their quotes, you'll see a world of difference. Or Matheny's confidence in the Cardinals' methodology continuing to succeed with all the players essentially being interchangeable parts of a greater synergy.

If nothing else, they need to find an experienced manager like Terry Collins who has the patience to deal with younger players and rebuilding...like Torborg and Manuel back in the day. Robin always seems exasperated, like he has no idea of what he can do or try to get a different result.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 09:11 PM)
For everyone supporting Ventura despite everything, those fans can't help but acknowledge it's starting to drive even the best White Sox fans away from something they used to feel so passionate about.

While Maddon isn't a genius, he's at least competent...it doesn't take much to see what a positive and enthusiastic manager can do to revitalize a franchise and get renewed buy-in from veteran players rather than falling off a cliff.

The Cubs with Maddon, the Rangers with Banister, the Royals with Yost..they recognized changes were necessary, the Astros with Hinch, etc. If you listen to their post-game press conferences and read their quotes, you'll see a world of difference. Or Matheny's confidence in the Cardinals' methodology continuing to succeed with all the players essentially being interchangeable parts of a greater synergy.

If nothing else, they need to find an experienced manager like Terry Collins who has the patience to deal with younger players and rebuilding...like Torborg and Manuel back in the day. Robin always seems exasperated, like he has no idea of what he can do or try to get a different result.

I agree. If we had a competent manager then I could at least give this team some interest, but if they don't care about winning on a consistent basis then why should I?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 10:11 PM)

That is a load of crap. Sox fans aren't showing up to watch a bad team with a good manager. The manager is just another in the list of things to complain about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 10:58 PM)
That is a load of crap. Sox fans aren't showing up to watch a bad team with a good manager. The manager is just another in the list of things to complain about.

Casuals wouldn't. But hardcore fans, such as the ones who post on this very messageboard would. Look, we all understand that in sports, all teams go through downward spirals at some point. It's inevitable as players get old, managers get burnt out and GMs lose touch. What's driving the hardcore fanbase crazy, is that everyone can see Robin is not an average manager. It's hard to argue if he's even mediocre. The fact that they even choose to keep him around and the reasoning why (loyalty) drives one bats*** crazy. Heck, you had a few people here last year, when Maddon became available that we need to fire Robin right away and hire him. You had some that thought that was crazy, but the Cubs did it themselves and look like geniuses.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 09:58 PM)

It's one thing to watch a bad team.

It's quite another to watch a team that consistently makes defensive mistakes, suffers from constant mental lapses, has terrible fundamentals, can't make adjustments from at-bat to at-bat, poor baserunning, hitting with RISP, inability to throw to right base, inability to be selective or patient at the plate. Every season now, they're seemingly unprepared coming out of spring training ad get off to tepid starts.

About the only things we do well are pitch and pitch frame.

Now if you want to deny that Balta and Lip Man and Fathom and Stan Bahsen and Flash Tizzle and Flavum and kite are full of crap...put it 100% on the players/Hahn or absolve the position players since most came from other systems and had fundamental flaws already, you're welcome to that conclusion as well.

Not even Joe McCarthy would win with Dunn/LaRoche, Keppinger, Bonifacio, Leury Garcia, Saladino, Sanchez, Flowers, Thompson, Olt, Gordon Beckham, Avi Garcia, Dayan Viciedo and Micah Johnson.

However, they would at least play the game the right way.

How about this...let's have a poll of only the moderators, "do you believe the next White Sox playoff team will be led by Robin Ventura?...why/why not/discuss...I would love to see Ventura win this poll and, more importantly, passionate defenses for what he does well or really well that make him the perfect or at least right man for this job despite evidence to the contrary piled up over the course of essentially four seasons of on-the-job training.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 12:42 AM)
Casuals wouldn't. But hardcore fans, such as the ones who post on this very messageboard would. Look, we all understand that in sports, all teams go through downward spirals at some point. It's inevitable as players get old, managers get burnt out and GMs lose touch. What's driving the hardcore fanbase crazy, is that everyone can see Robin is not an average manager. It's hard to argue if he's even mediocre. The fact that they even choose to keep him around and the reasoning why (loyalty) drives one bats*** crazy. Heck, you had a few people here last year, when Maddon became available that we need to fire Robin right away and hire him. You had some that thought that was crazy, but the Cubs did it themselves and look like geniuses.

The fact is, if the team is losing, you aren't going to think anyone is a good manager. It is funny to read on various message boards how big of a mistake it was to fire Tony LaRussa so many years ago. I don't know if you were around then, but he was universally considered by the fan base just as big of a baseball idiot as Ventura is now.