Mark Buehrle to retire?

Jose Abreu

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 02:43 AM)
I'd be all for trading 2-3 of our lefties and bringing Mark back. Or like I said make Danks a lefty reliever. Teams with four lefty starters DO NOT win pennants.

Do you think about what you post before you post it, or do you just do it so you can giggle to yourself later?

You're seriously talking about trading two or three of Sale, Quintana, Rodon, or Danks so the Sox can bring back a shadow of a starter that is Mark Buehrle?

Was every single thing about 2005 THAT amazing to you that you feel that it needs to be re-lived every season afterward?

Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports that if Mark Buehrle decides to return for another season, it would be for the St. Louis Cardinals.

The veteran southpaw, who will turn 37 in March, has hinted that he'd return for a 17th major league season if he was able to find a guaranteed contract. According to Elliott, the only team he's interested in pitching for would be the Cardinals, his home town team. In the wake of Lance Lynn's season-ending injury, there could be a potential fit.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Toronto SunNov 14 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
You're seriously talking about trading two or three of Sale, Quintana, Rodon, or Danks so the Sox can bring back a shadow of a starter that is Mark Buehrle?

Buehrle actually was great the first half last year and not that bad the second half. I still think Toronto should have had him on the postseason roster. As far as your comment, the board seems to think Danks is not very good and yes I'd trade Q or Rodon for some power if there is any power left in baseball in the non steroid era. I'd prefer two lefties and 3 righties in rotation but I'd be OK with 3 lefties and two righties. Our system seems to be deep in starting pitching. Why is it always all lefthanded?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
Buehrle actually was great the first half last year and not that bad the second half. I still think Toronto should have had him on the postseason roster. As far as your comment, the board seems to think Danks is not very good and yes I'd trade Q or Rodon for some power if there is any power left in baseball in the non steroid era. I'd prefer two lefties and 3 righties in rotation but I'd be OK with 3 lefties and two righties. Our system seems to be deep in starting pitching. Why is it always all lefthanded?

Fulmer, Montas, EJ, Danish, Adams, Beck, etc are all righties. They'll be up soon enough.

I honestly don't care if the Sox have 5 lefties, 5 righties, 4 lefties and 1 righty, etc as long as they get guys out and help the team win.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun reports that if Mark Buehrle decides to return for another season, it would be for the St. Louis Cardinals.

The veteran southpaw, who will turn 37 in March, has hinted that he'd return for a 17th major league season if he was able to find a guaranteed contract. According to Elliott, the only team he's interested in pitching for would be the Cardinals, his home town team. In the wake of Lance Lynn's season-ending injury, there could be a potential fit.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Toronto SunNov 14 - 11:02 AM

Well there you go. No Buehrle/Sox reunion, I suppose.

Anyone else find it a little odd he didn't receive a QO? He's on the fence about playing and seems like he would have been a guy that would have declined (don't think its all about the money at this point for him). Kind of reminds me of A.J. Burnett a few years ago when he was on the fence of retiring and Pirates thought he would retire and they didn't offer a QO and then signed a deal with Philadelphia.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Anyone else find it a little odd he didn't receive a QO? He's on the fence about playing and seems like he would have been a guy that would have declined (don't think its all about the money at this point for him). Kind of reminds me of A.J. Burnett a few years ago when he was on the fence of retiring and Pirates thought he would retire and they didn't offer a QO and then signed a deal with Philadelphia.

If they offered Buehrle a QO he would either accept or be forced to retire. No team would be willing to give up a first rounder to sign Buehrle to a one year deal so the Jays wouldn't get a comp pick anyway. They probably respected Buehrle enough to not diminish his value to other teams by making him a QO.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)

Because he's not worth that much?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)

Pretty sure you don't get a pick unless the guy signs. Zero teams are signing Buerhle to lose a draft pick.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
Because he's not worth that much?

Not really what my point was. He probably would have rejected it as he was still undecided about even playing and only had a week to decide if he should take it or not. I remember during the season people on here even said he'd for sure get one, and that's when everyone thought the QO would even higher.

But then again it was likely out of respect for him so he had a chance to go somewhere else.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
Not really what my point was. He probably would have rejected it as he was still undecided about even playing and only had a week to decide if he should take it or not. I remember during the season people on here even said he'd for sure get one, and that's when everyone thought the QO would even higher.

But then again it was likely out of respect for him so he had a chance to go somewhere else.

That was before he was obviously breaking down and injured at the end of the year. I would think the Jays were scared he would accept the $15.8 million contract.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
What would it take to get him back to Chicago for a year? $6M? Would love to get Danks out of the rotation.

If you can move Danks entire contract allowing them to sign Buehrle and make room for a big bat then sure. Danks is a fine 5th starter though who is most likely not going anywhere.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
I'm not arguing that. I'm saying you can't just make Danks disappear and it's not worth it to eat a large chunk of his salary since he really isn't as bad as people make him sound.

Although Danks usually drives me nuts as he seemingly always gives runs right back after the Sox have scored in the previous inning, I try to keep in mind that he is basically still learning how to pitch an entirely different style post-surgery. He no longer has that mid 90's fastball and it's got to take a while to get used to not having that in your bag of tricks. With an improved (and hopefully still improving) offense he could be around a .500 pitcher with 175ish innings pitched if he continues to find a fit and progress with the new style, which would obviously be welcomed at the back end of the rotation.

Either I'm being wildly optimistic that we're going to score a bunch more runs in 2016, or I'm just hoping for the best from a player with a nearly unmovable contract in Danks.

I'm not arguing that. I'm saying you can't just make Danks disappear and it's not worth it to eat a large chunk of his salary since he really isn't as bad as people make him sound.

If he really isn't that bad, then someone would take him and pay at least half his salary.

If he really is that bad, then it's worth shoving him to the LR position if Mark will sign.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
Ya idk bucket or rabbit im starting doubt there connections with the white sox.

Rabbits info has been solid . He has never posted any of the free agents would sign but it is pretty clear they have had a lot more interest in them than the other reports would suggest. I don't see how his info could be questioned.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 28, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
Rabbits info has been solid . He has never posted any of the free agents would sign but it is pretty clear they have had a lot more interest in them than the other reports would suggest. I don't see how his info could be questioned.

There alot people trying be ken rosenthal hes the best.