Mark Buehrle to retire?

Jose Abreu

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
Knowing this organization, it's almost a lock they do sign Buehrle, which I'd find extremely disappointing.

If it is a one year type of deal, and it allows the team to deal Quintana and get an equitable amount of talent for a place like 3B and/or C, it makes the team SO much better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
If it is a one year type of deal, and it allows the team to deal Quintana and get an equitable amount of talent for a place like 3B and/or C, it makes the team SO much better.

I'd like to see what they get in return for Q, but it just seems like another nostalgic stopgap type of move

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
The Sox shouldn't trade Q unless they get at least 2 of a team's top 10 prospects as well as a lower ranked one with a lot of potential.

I think they need to get guys close to major league ready or young guys already in majors. Trading Q for prospects doesn't really make sense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
I think they need to get guys close to major league ready or young guys already in majors. Trading Q for prospects doesn't really make sense.

Totally this. They need a good to great starting C and/or 3B out of the deal to start with.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
It isn't nostalgia if he can still pitch.

It seems as if he can still pitch. If he were to be signed for a year or two for a moderate deal, I'd be okay with it. He's not going to be a #1 or #2 starter...he'd more likely to be a #4 or #5 guy. But he still got very close to 200 innings last year, so there's really no reason to think he couldn't pitch 175+ next year. As a 5th starter innings-eater, that would be perfect.

All that being said, though, if the Sox were to sign him and trade Q, the return for Q would have to fill one of the crucial holes.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
It seems as if he can still pitch. If he were to be signed for a year or two for a moderate deal, I'd be okay with it. He's not going to be a #1 or #2 starter...he'd more likely to be a #4 or #5 guy. But he still got very close to 200 innings last year, so there's really no reason to think he couldn't pitch 175+ next year. As a 5th starter innings-eater, that would be perfect.

All that being said, though, if the Sox were to sign him and trade Q, the return for Q would have to fill one of the crucial holes.

I think he can still pitch too. Put him in a jersey for 1 year and somewhere between $10 and $15 million, and I am ok with that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
If his name wasn't Mark Buehrle it wouldn't even be discussed.

Maybe, but because his name is Mark Buehrle, the Sox know what kind of player (and guy) they would be getting by signing him. So, you're right to say that he's being talked about because of who he is, but by no means is that the only reason.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)

His having played here for a decade + is a recruiting tool, absolutely. But it doesn't affect whether his signing would help the team to execute plans or not. But this isn't bringing back a no kneed Harold Baines. Mark Buehrle can still get major league hitters out, which is all that matters.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
Maybe, but because his name is Mark Buehrle, the Sox know what kind of player (and guy) they would be getting by signing him. So, you're right to say that he's being talked about because of who he is, but by no means is that the only reason.

His clubhouse presence is also another great point.

If his name wasn't Mark Buehrle, he wouldn't be considering coming to the Sox on a 1-year, team-friendly contract. The Sox should absolutely leverage this advantage if Mark ultimately chooses to provide it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
His having played here for a decade + is a recruiting tool, absolutely. But it doesn't affect whether his signing would help the team to execute plans or not. But this isn't bringing back a no kneed Harold Baines. Mark Buehrle can still get major league hitters out, which is all that matters.

Given his struggles to end the season and injury flare ups I'm a bit worried about depending on him. I know he's been Mr. Consistency, but that's not gonna last forever. I'd hate to find out the hard way just to make JR and the fans happy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
Given his struggles to end the season and injury flare ups I'm a bit worried about depending on him. I know he's been Mr. Consistency, but that's not gonna last forever. I'd hate to find out the hard way just to make JR and the fans happy.

I agree. Plus, I am so sick about hearing about JR and the loyalty crap, if Buehrle or AJP or Uribe came back and sucked, which father time is making more likely by the hour, it would be in full force.

I understand wanting Buerhle back based on his numbers, but 4 cortisone shots, left off the postseason roster, should speak volumes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
I agree. Plus, I am so sick about hearing about JR and the loyalty crap, if Buehrle or AJP or Uribe came back and sucked, which father time is making more likely by the hour, it would be in full force.

I understand wanting Buerhle back based on his numbers, but 4 cortisone shots, left off the postseason roster, should speak volumes.

He also pitched pretty far ahead of his peripherals for most of the year, and cooled down pretty hard down the stretch, both in terms of his results and his health. K/9 rate is down in the 4's and he's pitching more to contact than even before, and had a pretty low BABIP. I get the dream, but I think Buerhle has a lot more red flags than it seems on the surface. He's probably done.