Best / Worst 2015

bmags

Leaving aside the anxiety over the future of the franchise, let's chat about the actual year. The baseball that we will not watch for 6 more months.

Best

Trayce Thompson -

Last year it felt like you just got used to Trayce underperforming but being mentioned as a prospect due to name recognition. He had a great start though and was the single best thing about this season to me. The one player I could see having fun.

Jose Abreu home run via Bradley flipping over fence

Carlos Sanchez D

Saladino walk up music

Quintana Quintana Quintana Quintana Quintana best pitcher in baseballllllll hype mannnnn

Worst

Opening Day

After 3 terrible games to start the season you couldn't have played a more demoralizing way in front of a packed crowd. One game doesn't mean anything in baseball, but that game seemed to have meant something. The rest of the first half followed suit.

Adam LaRoche

It was hard to watch him play. I don't have a single nice memory of him this year. He was abysmal.

This

One of the few times our offense showed up.

Yankees series

We had just won a bunch to get back in it. We were coming home. Let's do this. We are down 12-2 in the third. I leave and go watch from a nearby bar and sulk. Truly miserable.

Jeff Samardjiza

All of it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By anybody's account, even in the era of participation trophies, this was a horrible season. It could be characterized by losing.

They were one game over .500 on May 18. That's it for being over .500. Low water mark was 11 under. It was a pathetic season. I'd give the Sox a D as a grade for the season. Only good thing was their performance in extra inning games.

My grades ...

Abreu: A

Sanchez C- (bad hitter) Micah - D.

Lexi - C (.250 hitter, bad defense early).

Olt - D. Gillaspie F. Saladino B-

Melky C-

Eaton B

Avi C to C-

Trayce - A

Shuck - C to C-

Beckham - D to D-

Flowers - D

Soto - C-

Sale - A

Quintana - A

Rodon - B to A-minus

Danks - B-minus

Duke - D

Petricka - D

Nate - C

Robertson - B-minus

Shark - C-minus to D

LaRoche - D to D-minus.

Robin - F

Hitting coach: F

Pitching coach: C

Worst player on team: LaRoche. Best player on the team: Abreu. Best pitcher on team: Sale. Worst pitcher on team: Duke.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 08:09 PM)
By anybody's account, even in the era of participation trophies, this was a horrible season. It could be characterized by losing.

They were one game over .500 on May 18. That's it for being over .500. Low water mark was 11 under. It was a pathetic season. I'd give the Sox a D as a grade for the season. Only good thing was their performance in extra inning games.

My grades ...

Abreu: A

Sanchez C- (bad hitter) Micah - D.

Lexi - C (.250 hitter, bad defense early).

Olt - D. Gillaspie F. Saladino B-

Melky C-

Eaton B

Avi C to C-

Trayce - A

Shuck - C to C-

Beckham - D to D-

Flowers - D

Soto - C-

Sale - A

Quintana - A

Rodon - B to A-minus

Danks - B-minus

Duke - D

Petricka - D

Nate - C

Robertson - B-minus

Shark - C-minus to D

LaRoche - D to D-minus.

Robin - F

Hitting coach: F

Pitching coach: C

Worst player on team: LaRoche. Best player on the team: Abreu. Best pitcher on team: Sale. Worst pitcher on team: Duke.

Agree with most of your rankings aside from Danks, but-

Soto over Flowers? Geo was absolute trash during the 2nd half of the year.

Saladino over Sanchez because Sanchez is a bad hitter? Saladino was even worse than Carlos at the plate, and FWIW, Sanchez had a much better 2nd half of hitting.

Also, I'd give Shuck a B and Melky a B-.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
Leaving aside the anxiety over the future of the franchise, let's chat about the actual year. The baseball that we will not watch for 6 more months.

Best

Trayce Thompson -

Last year it felt like you just got used to Trayce underperforming but being mentioned as a prospect due to name recognition. He had a great start though and was the single best thing about this season to me. The one player I could see having fun.

Jose Abreu home run via Bradley flipping over fence

Carlos Sanchez D

Saladino walk up music

Quintana Quintana Quintana Quintana Quintana best pitcher in baseballllllll hype mannnnn

Worst

Opening Day

After 3 terrible games to start the season you couldn't have played a more demoralizing way in front of a packed crowd. One game doesn't mean anything in baseball, but that game seemed to have meant something. The rest of the first half followed suit.

Adam LaRoche

It was hard to watch him play. I don't have a single nice memory of him this year. He was abysmal.

This

One of the few times our offense showed up.

Yankees series

We had just won a bunch to get back in it. We were coming home. Let's do this. We are down 12-2 in the third. I leave and go watch from a nearby bar and sulk. Truly miserable.

Jeff Samardjiza

All of it.

what was saladinos walk up music

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
...or throwing guys out since I assume you mean he is on the worst list.

More than a couple of his assists came on balls he misplayed so bad that people tried to turn them into doubles. That isn't exactly a good thing. And he definitely is on the worst list. Awful player.

i am going to keep mine simple.... you all have great post.

i truly like the feeling and of Jose A getting into the swing of the empty stadium game in the beginning of the season. esp when he tossed the ball in the stands.

btw, what is Jose A walk up song???

My grades:

Abreu: A-

Sanchez: C

Micah: D

Lexi: C+

Olt: D

Gillaspie: D.

Saladino: C+

Melky: C

Eaton: B+

Avi: C-

LaRoche: F

Trayce: B+

Shuck: B

Beckham: C

Flowers: C

Soto: C

Sale: A-

Quintana: A

Rodon: B+

Danks: C+

Shark: D

Duke: C

Petricka: C+

Nate: B-

Robertson: B

Jennings: C+

Albers: A

Putnam: B-

Robin: D-

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
More than a couple of his assists came on balls he misplayed so bad that people tried to turn them into doubles. That isn't exactly a good thing. And he definitely is on the worst list. Awful player.

Well that's a unique spin on things . What did he have 16/17 assists? How many do you actually think were balls that were misplayed ? Way to turn a positive into a negative, truly a new high in taking a great thing a player can do and turning it into s***. There's a lot to criticize about Avi but his arm isn't one of them. Next thing you know you'll be telling me all that hustle when he runs to 1st is a waste of energy.

Thompson A+

Eaton A

Abreu A-

Soto B-

Shuck C+

Ramriez C

Melky C-

Flowers C-

Garcia D+

Sanchez D+

Saladino D+

Beckham D-

LaRoche D-

Sale A

Quintana A

Albers A

Rodon B+

Robertson B

Duke B-

Carroll B-

Samardzija C

Danks C

Petricka C

Jennings C-

Putnam D+

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
Do you guys not realize how bad Soto got?

His last month was terrible. In 35 plate appearances he batted .094 and had an OBP of .147. That was a pretty big departure from where he had been. Overall, he had a decent season. September was definitely an outlier.

Neither Flowers nor Soto were very good, but throughout the season Hawk kept pointing out the production from the catcher position. He only spoke about, however, HRs and RBIs. He didn't talk about the fact that neither one was batting north of .230.

Long story short, the catcher position needs an upgrade this off season.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 06:29 AM)
Despite my campaigning, people still don't realize how bad Avisail Garcia was.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...0&sort=21,a

Yes he was terrible, awful, a huge disappointment but I often wonder if the elite OF's this year Kevin Pillar, Kevin Keiermaier, Jason Heyward, Lorenzo Cain put up the same defensive WAR in US Cellular ? Seems like Sox OF's somehow get punished for playing there. Who was the last Sox OF who even had a decent defensive rating like say a 5 on the positive side ? The OF's I mentioned are all 15+ so I'm not asking for much with a 5.

Everyone harps on Avi's D (well his offense too) but his defensive WAR was a -13.8 while Adam Eaton's was a -8.8 . Someone show me a good defensive OF who played for the Sox in the last ,say, 15 years.Oh hell make it 25 years , still might not find one with a decent defensive WAR.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Yes he was terrible, awful, a huge disappointment but I often wonder if the elite OF's this year Kevin Pillar, Kevin Keiermaier, Jason Heyward, Lorenzo Cain put up the same defensive WAR in US Cellular ? Seems like Sox OF's somehow get punished for playing there. Who was the last Sox OF who even had a decent defensive rating like say a 5 on the positive side ? The OF's I mentioned are all 15+ so I'm not asking for much with a 5.

Everyone harps on Avi's D (well his offense too) but his defensive WAR was a -13.8 while Adam Eaton's was a -21.2 . Someone show me a good defensive OF who played for the Sox in the last ,say, 15 years.

Brian Anderson had some amazing defensive metrics IIRC.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)

Everyone harps on Avi's D (well his offense too) but his defensive WAR was a -13.8 while Adam Eaton's was a -21.2 . Someone show me a good defensive OF who played for the Sox in the last ,say, 15 years.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...0&sort=24,d

Not that many, but I don't think it's because of the ballpark. That's a fairly bold claim and the Cell's outfield is about as standard as they come. I know somebody before (I think it was you) has pointed out that the shape of the fences makes it difficult to rob homers, and while that may be true, it wouldn't swing the numbers that much.

And the difference between Avi and Eaton is that Eaton has put up a successful defensive season in the past. Avi has only ever massacred the outfield.

Edited by shysocks