Has the country (or the world) really gone this far off the rails?

Big Hurtin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To reply more to the thread title and not the article:

The country isn't "off the rails". With our shockingly increasing population, there are more and more people (obviously), and not all of those people are sane.

Higher population = higher volume of mentally unstable people

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 01:29 AM)
I don't know, the ages and the silly reason, just seems like such a waste of life.

It's like I've been saying, in 20 years it will be a whole different America. People are going to be scared to go anywhere. I mean now it's dipping down to kids shooting kids. I always think of the parents (assuming they are good ones). So mom gives birth to a boy one day at the hospital. Can you imagine if you could look into the future and told her, "Your boy will commit murder at the age of 11. He will blow away a neightbor girl with a gun." She'd have told you you were insane.

Can you imaging a mom giving birth to a little girl at the hospital one day. If you told her, "Your daughter will be shot and killed at the age of 8 by an 11-year old boy." She'd have said, "How the hell is that going to happen? That's just not possible."

Our country is in the toilet and it is only going to get worse. Folks who read my posts know that I'm predicting the end of sports as we know them once one of our big stadiums/arenas has its first massacre. I'd still rather live here than anywhere, but America is a warzone, no doubt about it. Be safe, people, be safe. And like the guy said in another article somewhere, if you are ever in a situation some madman brandishes a gun, by all means fight back with your car keys and charge the gunman. Not a fair battle, though, car keys vs. semiautomatic weapon.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
It's like I've been saying, in 20 years it will be a whole different America. People are going to be scared to go anywhere. I mean now it's dipping down to kids shooting kids. I always think of the parents (assuming they are good ones). So mom gives birth to a boy one day at the hospital. Can you imagine if you could look into the future and told her, "Your boy will commit murder at the age of 11. He will blow away a neightbor girl with a gun." She'd have told you you were insane.

Can you imaging a mom giving birth to a little girl at the hospital one day. If you told her, "Your daughter will be shot and killed at the age of 8 by an 11-year old boy." She'd have said, "How the hell is that going to happen? That's just not possible."

Our country is in the toilet and it is only going to get worse. Folks who read my posts know that I'm predicting the end of sports as we know them once one of our big stadiums/arenas has its first massacre. I'd still rather live here than anywhere, but America is a warzone, no doubt about it. Be safe, people, be safe. And like the guy said in another article somewhere, if you are ever in a situation some madman brandishes a gun, by all means fight back with your car keys and charge the gunman. Not a fair battle, though, car keys vs. semiautomatic weapon.

With all of the new security precautions, how could there be a "massacre" at a major sports arena?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 03:06 AM)
With all of the new security precautions, how could there be a "massacre" at a major sports arena?

Glad u asked, Jose. I've thought about this a bit. Here's what happens. Let's say you are in a college basketball crazed city like this town I live in or Lexington, Kentucky or Bloomington, Indiana. Or even Wichita, Kansas or Omaha that sell out all their basketball games. Three morons who want to cause a stir and die over their sick causes, arm themselves with tons of weapons, maybe even a hand grenade. Each have a hand grenade which I would think they could acquire nowadays.

So they wait until the second half. Everything's going smoothly and the rent-a-cops (so to speak) on hand are even catching a peek at the game. The 3 crazies who have cased the building out beforehand take their weapons and go charging out on the court, flip the hand grenades into the crowd and start shooting. Or they throw a ton of smokebombs first to get the place all clouded up then start firing.

Or a college football game. Even at a lousy program like Kansas you get 35,000 at a game with rent a cop type security.

Now there is a chance a real cop (there might be some real cops on hand) might shoot and kill the lunatic gunmen before they do their damage. I think probably not. It probably would be even easier at a sport like women's basketball where the school maybe draws 5,000 fans in a 20,000 seat arena. It still would be a huge tragedy obviously and would be easier to gain admittance before hand with weapons and hand grenades. Or volleyball with 90 year old rent a cops at the entrances and crowds of 3000 or more at some schools like Kansas. I think nutjobs could definitely storm the entrances or have spots they've been in hiding waiting for the right moment to pounce.

I want to say I pray (yes I'm religious) this never happens at a sporting arena, but I've often wondered what would happen if the lunatics wait until the second half or latter stages of a game ... then ATTACK!

It did happen at the boston marathon which was very sad and very destructive to human life. But I think ISIS or somebody could hit a sporting event and it would change sports forever.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
The sky is not falling, greg. Look up crime rates today compared to those of previous decades. They're basically comparable, if not lower. We just have a crazier media cycle now. RElax.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

The bolded is the key here. Greg, you are hearing about certain things more often - they aren't (for the most part) actually happening more often.

God said to Abraham "Kill me a son"

Abe says "man, you must be puttin' me on"

God say "no," Abe say "what"

God say "you can do what you want Abe, but

the next time you see me comin' you better run"

Well Abe said "where you want this killin' done?"

God says "out on Highway 61"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
God said to Abraham "Kill me a son"

Abe says "man, you must be puttin' me on"

God say "no," Abe say "what"

God say "you can do what you want Abe, but

the next time you see me comin' you better run"

Well Abe said "where you want this killin' done?"

God says "out on Highway 61"

I'll raise you a...

My brother's rifle

Went off in my hand

A shot rang out

Across the land

The horse, he kept running

The rider was dead

I hung my head

I hung my head

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
I'll enter here to chime in with the fact that the world is a safer place today than it's ever been before, DESPITE the massive increase in population.

The world maybe. America? Safer than before? Cmon. You can make any stats fit any argument. America is a dangerous land.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
The world maybe. America? Safer than before? Cmon. You can make any stats fit any argument. America is a dangerous land.

Why dont you make stats fit your argument that it is less safe?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)

The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
greg laughs at all of your "facts" and "numbers". He knows the score.

Guys, most rational people agree with me. America is not safe. America is less safe than 20 years ago. Cmon. Do you guys live in a bubble?

The perception is that it's more dangerous because that is what sells best on the media, and drives ratings/advertising dollars...if it bleeds, it leads.

When's the last time you saw a heartwarming, stranger helps/saves stranger charity "feel good" story leading the news?

Trump would have everyone believe America's on the brink of collapse vis a vis China. The same exact things were being argued in the late 80's and early 90's about the US vs. Japan. I can recall specifically studying TQM and the Japanese mngmnt model in grad school back then. Twenty years of stagflation and zombie economy later....here we are, still.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)
Guys, most rational people agree with me. America is not safe. America is less safe than 20 years ago. Cmon. Do you guys live in a bubble?

Oh the irony

You talk of rational people, and try to tell us that Rush Limbaugh is one of these rational people