White Sox peripherally make news for Cub Hating

caulfield12

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
lol. Cubs fans are now saying they all cheered for the Sox in '05.

f*** off. We all know that's fake.

No Cub fans cheered the Sox in 2005, I agree

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
There were some. That's where the term "Bisoxual" came from. Roeper talks about it in his book.

There were some. The difference is there wasn't the obnoxious media campaign about it. No one really cared. Today it is a news story.

While out doing errands today...my kid and I stopped at Portillo's in bolingbrook for lunch. It was busy as hell and we ended up getting a table next to (well....two tables down) from a couple of Cub fans. How did I know they were Cub fans??? I knew cause they were loud enough for everyone to hear and obnoxious about it too. talking loudly about how the cubs were going to destroy the Cards...and how they were going to OWN the city of chicago even more once they win it all this year.

Both of the guys were dressed in brand new Cubs jerseys (again..they were bragging about them) and talking about heading up north to hang out in front of Wrigley Field with the other Cub fans. I could barely stifle my laughter when one of the guys picked up his sandwich, took a bite, and dripped red sauce all down the front of his new cubs jersey.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
100% with you. I'm not a Sox fan because I need an outlet for my Cubs hate. It's not even the team I don't like--I don't like their bro fans.

But this is soooooo stupid.

Back in '05 I got a letter published in the Sun-Times talking about how it's lonely to be a northsider when the Sox are in the playoffs. On that same page was some loser Cub talking about how he would never, ever support the Sox' run no matter what and he didn't care if they were a Chicago team.

Whatever.

We don't have any reason to talk--they made the moves, spent the money, and now look at them. Sure they had to go through a couple of losing years to rebuild but do you think anybody cares about that now? We've been putting the same so-so thing out for almost a decade. We should be EMULATING them, not hoping for them to lose.

So yeah I support them. I'm not watching the games and I'm never ever switching teams but cmon.

Agree 100%. I hate bad fans. I have plenty of friends that are Cubs fans, in fact, it was mostly Cubs fans that called me after the Sox won it in '05 to say congrats.

I've been in a discussion with a guy on FB who is terrified that if we blew this team up, no fans would show up. Kill our fan base. I think the damage is already done. It's a weird state, and we need to make a serious change. Right now, we are just hoping to get lucky and not make any changes. Just think the Sox can do better.

I am not cheering for them, but not cheering against them. I am however cheering for the Astros.

I'm going to come out and say it, but if you claim to be a true Sox fan and are cheering for the Cubs this postseason then you are a f***ing idiot. Our beloved franchise has always been the ugly step-child of the Chicago sports scene and a Cubs World Series victory would make us even more irreverent. Go ahead and come up with some lame excuse on why it's ok to cheer for them, but you are literally rooting against the well-being of your own franchise. There is no good that comes to the Sox from the Cubs winning the World Series, none whatsoever.

It's absolutely disgusting how many "Sox fans" I know are jumping on this bandwagon and it's even worse how many members on this site, a forum that is home to some of the most die-hard Sox fans in the world, are pro-Cubs right now.

My whole thing about this is

1) I would never in a million years root for the Cubs to win it,

2) if they were to win it, I would attempt to be gracious and congratulate any Cubs' fans ("how does it feel to FINALLY join the club?" derisive comment attached) and then I would TRY to consider it philosophically in terms of all the lifelong REAL Cubs' fans, the grandparents and great-grandparents and aunts and uncles who suffered for decades and decades waiting for a winner to come along, made it through 1969 and 1984 and 1989 and 2003 and all those other heartbreaking years but never wavered in their fandom or abandoned their team.

For me, it's Uncle Herman, who died about 20 years ago the tried to get me to follow the Cubs when I was growing up. It just so happens that my favorite uncle loved the White Sox (and drinking beer), and gave me some White Sox baseball cards in 1979 (Claudell Washington, Lamar Johnson, Mike Squires) and that's what got me started. He worked for the Dubuque Packing Company and never got to enjoy the 2005 season, unfortunately.

The yuppies from the 1980's on...the investment bankers and trust fund kids and Northwestern grads (just a slight dig at Hahn, haha), and especially all the bandwagoners now, F--- them.

"Trashy bar. The prices are pretty good but the food sucks, the music sucks, and the staff and owners are trash. I had never planned on bothering with a review for this place until i saw their newest trashy decision to give out a free beer for any time the cardinals HR off the Cubs. I'm a die hard Cubs fan but when the sox were going to the series, i rooted for them and the respect the Cubs showed was big.

I will definitely not be back here ever and will make sure everyone knows this place is garbage."

From yelp review

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Hopefully they lose in the most painful possible way.

That was already achieved with the Bartman incident. That shows you how uncivil we are when it comes to professional sports. If I was Bartman, I'm a Cardinals fan.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
I'm going to come out and say it, but if you claim to be a true Sox fan and are cheering for the Cubs this postseason then you are a f***ing idiot. Our beloved franchise has always been the ugly step-child of the Chicago sports scene and a Cubs World Series victory would make us even more irreverent. Go ahead and come up with some lame excuse on why it's ok to cheer for them, but you are literally rooting against the well-being of your own franchise. There is no good that comes to the Sox from the Cubs winning the World Series, none whatsoever.

It's absolutely disgusting how many "Sox fans" I know are jumping on this bandwagon and it's even worse how many members on this site, a forum that is home to some of the most die-hard Sox fans in the world, are pro-Cubs right now.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top. I can see Sox fans more envious of the Cubs this season. Who predicted them at 97 games? Watching a Cubs game vs. a Sox game is night an day. I see quit and choke watching the Sox. No matter how their post season turns out the fans have something to look forward to next year. The news we have is Ventura will be returning. It makes you feel like the bastard step child who gets hand me down shoes.

I doubt we would see this if they were still owned by the Tribune Co. I for one think this Cub team has peaked and will not have the same success next year. That's the reality of baseball.

It's just as much jealousy as it is hate for the Cubs. They are young and winning. We have one of their former products that made us get worse.

The Sox will be the bastard step child in this city unless they move or get new ownership.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 04:56 AM)

I just don't care. I don't want them to win but if they do, big deal. I will say a lot of Sox fans have to be disgusted about what's happened since 05 to our team. But if the Cubs have to win it all, fine, although it's always funny when they blow it. Like if they get shut out three games in a row here would be funny.

p.s. I'm one of those guys who deserves credit lol for picking the Sox over the Cubs as a kid. We lived on the southside and my grandfather loved the Cubs; my dad loved the Sox. My grandfather would take me to a lot of Cubs games in the shrine I never thought was even that great, Wrigley. My dad took me to a batch of Sox games. I enjoyed watching baseball and actually rooted for both and was amused watching my relatives argue about the teams.

I became a teen and embraced my Sox side roots and was a Sox only fan and have been a Sox only fan. 05 was great.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top. I can see Sox fans more envious of the Cubs this season. Who predicted them at 97 games? Watching a Cubs game vs. a Sox game is night an day. I see quit and choke watching the Sox. No matter how their post season turns out the fans have something to look forward to next year. The news we have is Ventura will be returning. It makes you feel like the bastard step child who gets hand me down shoes.

I doubt we would see this if they were still owned by the Tribune Co. I for one think this Cub team has peaked and will not have the same success next year. That's the reality of baseball.

It's just as much jealousy as it is hate for the Cubs. They are young and winning. We have one of their former products that made us get worse.

The Sox will be the bastard step child in this city unless they move or get new ownership.

Even when the sox were winning, they were the step child in Chicago.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 04:56 AM)

One of the best posts I've seen this entire season, mirroring the classic ranting style of Kenny Powers. The sox need to fulfill their destiny of selling the most demanded sports ticket in all of Chicago. After that, we'll continue with even more success, driving the cubs franchise to follow in the footsteps of the late Montreal Expos.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 09:56 PM)

Very well said in my opinion.

Mark

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)
One of the best posts I've seen this entire season, mirroring the classic ranting style of Kenny Powers. The sox need to fulfill their destiny of selling the most demanded sports ticket in all of Chicago. After that, we'll continue with even more success, driving the cubs franchise to follow in the footsteps of the late Montreal Expos.

Not going to happen. The only way is to move where there are no professional sports or to the suburbs. It's not the end of the world.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 9, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)

I respect your opinion, but this post assumes there isn't room for two winning franchises in Chicago. If the Cubs had won in 2003, the White Sox would still have sold out in 2006. There are enough Chicagoans to fill both stadiums.

As far as the Sox being "irreverent", I really could care less what ESPN thinks of the White Sox.

And hey, maybe the Cubs winning will bring all the White Sox fans out of hiding next summer. That's my hope.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 10, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
Making money off Cubs hating? Sox would make plenty of money. Just look at the attention Sox fan pay to the Cubs. The Cubs thread in Diamond Club is the perfect example. Hell, the Cardinals vs. Cubs thread has more pages than the rest combined.

Cub fans tax money have now and in the past been used to support the White Sox organization. Every Chicagoan's taxes support the local sports team, regardless of loyalty. This is why the White Sox can't advertise "anti-Cub"