MLBTradeRumors Offseason Outlook

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
You know how much I like the idea of trading Q but if the Dodgers offered Puig and Barnes, I'd have a difficult time saying no. :)

Problem is that I have no idea who replaces Q in the rotation with Montas and Fulmer needing time in the minors.

Maybe a lesser pitching free agent or an mlb ready pitcher in a Q deal.

Some ideas:

-Cahill: cheap option. Not really good. Maybe he can be fixed.

-Estrada

-Fister

-Gee

-Guthrie

-Iwakuma

-Lackey

-Latos

-Norris

Now I am by no means saying they can replicate what Q does, but they would still provide depth.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 04:37 AM)
If we had held our bullets until this offseason, we wouldnt be forced to pass on Heyward, Gordon, Cespedes, Zobrist, Wieters, Chris Davis, etc.

If the players (LaRoche, Melky) hadn't played so poorly, there wouldn't be a perceived need to replace them. They would also have value in a trade if there was a desire to upgrade.

"Buying too early" isn't a problem. Players underperforming/losing value is a problem. Players aren't players. They're assets with a value and a cost.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Maybe a lesser pitching free agent or an mlb ready pitcher in a Q deal.

Some ideas:

-Cahill: cheap option. Not really good. Maybe he can be fixed.

-Estrada

-Fister

-Gee

-Guthrie

-Iwakuma

-Lackey

-Latos

-Norris

Now I am by no means saying they can replicate what Q does, but they would still provide depth.

Thanks for the list. Interesting names in there that would be affordable. Think I'd set my sights on Iwakuma or Estrada. I think either could be had on 1-3 year deals, just my guess.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 05:04 AM)
You think this years teams making their league championship series are exciting, yet when the White Sox made their league championship series in 1983, 1993, not exciting. I guess the difference is I can watch something and immediately enjoy it. Apparently you need 6 months and final results to see if you enjoyed it or not. Not surprising.

Too bad the Rangers season could have been exciting, but 3 consecutive errors ruined everything, therefore a dull season.

Actually, and maybe you know this, Dick Allen, but was 1983 "exciting"? Most of us, the very great majority of us, in fact, certainly heard it was, but we wouldn't really know. Because that year, due to one of King Reinsdorf's many franchise-crippling moves from over the years, that particular team was practically hidden away from us on that brilliant brain child of Reinsdorf and Einhorn's known as "Sportsvision". So instead of having 150 games or so on free TV like the Cubs did the next season in '84 during their successful run that year, which made them wildly popular throughout the city and beyond, that '83 team, which was a very good team, was seen on free TV a mere 32 times, with the balance on Sportsvision, which practically no one subscribed to. I, like so many, had to rely on the broadcast stylings of one Joe McConnell on WMAQ radio to paint the mental image of what was happening on the field with that '83 team. So if it was exciting, it's only because McConnell told us so, thanks to that failed get-rich-quick Sportsvision scheme.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
Actually, and maybe you know this, Dick Allen, but was 1983 "exciting"? Most of us, the very great majority of us, in fact, certainly heard it was, but we wouldn't really know. Because that year, due to one of King Reinsdorf's many franchise-crippling moves from over the years, that particular team was practically hidden away from us on that brilliant brain child of Reinsdorf and Einhorn's known as "Sportsvision". So instead of having 150 games or so on free TV like the Cubs did the next season in '84 during their successful run that year, which made them wildly popular throughout the city and beyond, that '83 team, which was a very good team, was seen on free TV a mere 32 times, with the balance on Sportsvision, which practically no one subscribed to. I, like so many, had to rely on the broadcast stylings of one Joe McConnell on WMAQ radio to paint the mental image of what was happening on the field with that '83 team. So if it was exciting, it's only because McConnell told us so, thanks to that failed get-rich-quick Sportsvision scheme.

Very impressive move of the goalposts.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)

If in 35 years, you have enjoyed yourself 1 season, I think any of us would conclude it's time to move on, but you appear to be someone who embraces whining and complaining. You must go to a restaurant, and wait to see how successful they become to determine if you enjoyed the meal. It must be tough for you to go to a movie when it first comes out because you won't know if you liked it until it's final box office numbers are in.

It definitely appears you would rather complain about something than to enjoy it. That really is a shame. Life is good.

Only the White Sox can be criticized and whined about 32 years later for being AHEAD of their time. Why is it you were willing to pay to watch them in 2005?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)

Well Bob Logan in his book, "Miracle on 35th Street" quoted Harry extensively as saying that was the main reason he left the Sox. What wasn't known at the time but came out in the documentary on Harry by producer Noel Gimble was that the Sox actually offered Harry more money to stay for 1982 than the Cubs offered. He left anyway and a large reason for it was because Harry felt the Sox simply weren't going to be able to be seen as much as the Cubs on WGN Superstation.

To me that was a very exciting season but I understand your point. Harry himself that year said that (paraphrasing) 'if the Sox were on WGN Superstation instead of Sports Vision they'd have a national following' because of how well they were playing in the second half.

Unfortunately it didn't happen.

Another mistake by the Sox made with good intentions I'm sure that simply backfired because the timing wasn't right. Which both EE and JR later admitted.

Mark

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
If the players (LaRoche, Melky) hadn't played so poorly, there wouldn't be a perceived need to replace them. They would also have value in a trade if there was a desire to upgrade.

"Buying too early" isn't a problem. Players underperforming/losing value is a problem. Players aren't players. They're assets with a value and a cost.

And now we've also wasted two years of Robertson...and he's more likely to be declining his last two tears when we really need an 85%+ closing rate in 2017 and 18. Doesn't make much sense in terms of resource/payroll allocation when a younger position player would give you a higher return...as a well-paid closer will be a luxury next year, also preventing us from making additional adds via FA.

Still not sure why we didn't allow the Yankees to take him back. Guess it would have reinforced now inept some of our moves worked out that we'd already have to cut bait in Year 1 of the contending window.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
If in 35 years, you have enjoyed yourself 1 season, I think any of us would conclude it's time to move on, but you appear to be someone who embraces whining and complaining. You must go to a restaurant, and wait to see how successful they become to determine if you enjoyed the meal. It must be tough for you to go to a movie when it first comes out because you won't know if you liked it until it's final box office numbers are in.

It definitely appears you would rather complain about something than to enjoy it. That really is a shame. Life is good.

Only the White Sox can be criticized and whined about 32 years later for being AHEAD of their time. Why is it you were willing to pay to watch them in 2005?

Wrong song, LeRoy! I'd much rather enjoy and be chatting about good White Sox baseball than complain about bad White Sox baseball. Unfortunately, we've had more of the latter than former the past 35 years under the leadership of you-know-who. But you are correct about one thing - life is good! I just want White Sox baseball to be good as well, and enjoy more of it in the form of exciting postseason play than we have in the past 35 years. That little request there - more postseason play - is the point I keep making but which you inexplicably keep equating to complaining and whining and moaning and this and that. I don't know why you do that, but you do. It seems to be your thing. That's ok, though. I can handle it. I'll just "olay" that charging bull off to the side and continue on my merry way. Why? Because as a wise man once said: "Life is good."

:D

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 04:59 PM)
Wrong song, LeRoy! I'd much rather enjoy and be chatting about good White Sox baseball than complain about bad White Sox baseball. Unfortunately, we've had more of the latter than former the past 35 years under the leadership of you-know-who. But you are correct about one thing - life is good! I just want White Sox baseball to be good as well, and enjoy more of it in the form of exciting postseason play than we have in the past 35 years. That little request there - more postseason play - is the point I keep making but which you inexplicably keep equating to complaining and whining and moaning and this and that. I don't know why you do that, but you do. It seems to be your thing. That's ok, though. I can handle it. I'll just "olay" that charging bull off to the side and continue on my merry way. Why? Because as a wise man once said: "Life is good."

You might think that you enjoy the good more, but you sure focus on the bad, almost exclusively. Life it what you make of it, and being a fan of a team isn't much different.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 04:59 PM)

You have only found one season exciting in 35 years despite several postseason appearances. In fact, for me the 1990 season was very exciting. 94 wins, would have made the playoffs if they were like they are now, from a team that was supposed to be bad. The 1977 team finished in 3rd place yet they are still adored. Reinsdorf didn't own that team, but many people found that team to be exciting. It probably is time for you to bail,

The fact is JR isn't going to sell, and you don't find teams good enough to make the postseason exciting. It depends on how that postseason goes. We'll be thankful you are not a Pirates fan. After 20 below .500 season in a row, knocked out in 5, then knocked out in 1, and knocked out in 1. Three more dull seasons.

Every post you moan how the White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf in particular, have made your baseball viewing miserable for 34 of the past 35 years. Besides repeating that over and over and over again, why don't you do something about it?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
You might think that you enjoy the good more, but you sure focus on the bad, almost exclusively. Life it what you make of it, and being a fan of a team isn't much different.

I do enjoy the "good more", which is why I, unlike you, continue to look forward and strive for better than what we've achieved. You and Dick Allen are very clear in your acceptance of the status quo.

Long ago, fans like you and Dick Allen kind of gave up, seemingly, and resigned yourselves to season after season of little to no expectations. That's why you're not disappointed in the team's results that practically every other fan base wouldn't tolerate. How else do you explain someone like Dick Allen pointing to seasons like 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2010 as "exciting seasons"? They were certainly better than many other dreadful seasons the Reinsdorf era has coughed up on us, but that doesn't make them exciting in the classical sense.

You and Dick Allen focus more on excuse making for the horrid record of Reinsdorf over the past 35 years than I do reporting accurately on it, which is saying something, given my consistency of pointing it out. Life is what you make of it, as you rightly suggest. If that involves settling for much less than you should, then that's ok, if that's what you desire. It's also ok if you strive for something a little bit more, which overwhelmingly, the majority of fans of our White Sox on this site seem to do.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
And now we've also wasted two years of Robertson...and he's more likely to be declining his last two tears when we really need an 85%+ closing rate in 2017 and 18. Doesn't make much sense in terms of resource/payroll allocation when a younger position player would give you a higher return...as a well-paid closer will be a luxury next year, also preventing us from making additional adds via FA.

Still not sure why we didn't allow the Yankees to take him back. Guess it would have reinforced now inept some of our moves worked out that we'd already have to cut bait in Year 1 of the contending window.

Roberson I feel has pretty well maintained his value. He could be on the trade block at the deadline if the team is way out of it.

Ole.

Here I will agree with Dick Allen (amazingly enough).

That 1990 one was my all-time favorite season...with the exception of 2005. If we hadn't won it all, it would be a tossup.

2006 was mostly fun, and 2003. 2010 and 12, you always had the sense we just didn't have the horses.

Complaining doesn't help, but neither does blind optimism and loyalty earned by being better than Bill Veeck merely in terms of spending on the team, keeping the team in Chicago and getting a new ballpark (another big miss like Sportsvision, White Flag and 1994 though) and 2005. Meanwhile, that original investment is worth hundreds of millions more...so what do we actually owe and for how long?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
Ole.

That 1990 one was my all-time favorite season...with the exception of 2005. If we hadn't won it all, it would be a tossup.

2006 was mostly fun, and 2003. 2010 and 12, you always had the sense we just didn't have the horses.

Complaining doesn't help, but neither does blind optimism and loyalty earned by being better than Bill Veeck merely in terms of spending on the team, keeping the team in Chicago and getting a new ballpark (another big miss like Sportsvision, White Flag and 1994 though) and 2005. Meanwhile, that original investment is worth hundreds of millions more...so what do we actually owe and for how long?

I reserve a right, as a fan, to b**** if things are run poorly. This team sucks. However, I won't crush them for last offseason moves. They weren't bad they just didn't propel us into a contender. Who knew Shark would be a minnow? I didn't see LaRoche being LaDunn. This organization needs held accountable though. I went on my little tangent about Robin staying. I said my peace now it's their turn to make more moves.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
Ole.

In 2003 they had a two game lead over the Twins with I think 15 to go. Lost the last two games at home of the Twins series and were swept away the following week. They had the horses in 2003 and pissed it away.

Again the had a three game lead in 2012 with I think 17 to go and completely fell apart and handed the division to Detroit. They had enough to win it to in 2012 and pissed it away.

Ditto for blowing golden chances in 2006 by falling apart in the second half and 2010 when they had a lead in August, every relief pitcher seemingly went on the DL and they fell apart.

The only consistent thing about the Sox the past 15 years has been poor second halves which has cost them dearly.

How would this franchise look today, how would more importantly the perception of the franchise look if they got into the playoffs in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012?

Alas we'll never know because the Sox keep blowing good chances.

I'll repeat something I said earlier someplace, 'blind' loyalty towards anything...a religion, a baseball team, a government I don't care what it is, is dangerous in my opinion.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 10:41 PM)
In 2003 they had a two game lead over the Twins with I think 15 to go. Lost the last two games at home of the Twins series and were swept away the following week. They had the horses in 2003 and pissed it away.

Again the had a three game lead in 2012 with I think 17 to go and completely fell apart and handed the division to Detroit. They had enough to win it to in 2012 and pissed it away.

Ditto for blowing golden chances in 2006 by falling apart in the second half and 2010 when they had a lead in August, every relief pitcher seemingly went on the DL and they fell apart.

The only consistent thing about the Sox the past 15 years has been poor second halves which has cost them dearly.

How would this franchise look today, how would more importantly the perception of the franchise look if they got into the playoffs in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012?

I'll repeat something I said earlier someplace, 'blind' loyalty towards anything...a religion, a baseball team, a government I don't care what it is, is dangerous in my opinion.

Mark

The Twins from 2002-2010 (with the aberration of the coin flip 50/50 guess and Blackout Game win), the Indians from 1995-2001, the Blue Jays and A's in the 80s and early 90s....then the Tigers more recently (2006, 2011-2014) and finally the Royals.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
I do enjoy the "good more", which is why I, unlike you, continue to look forward and strive for better than what we've achieved. You and Dick Allen are very clear in your acceptance of the status quo.

Long ago, fans like you and Dick Allen kind of gave up, seemingly, and resigned yourselves to season after season of little to no expectations. That's why you're not disappointed in the team's results that practically every other fan base wouldn't tolerate. How else do you explain someone like Dick Allen pointing to seasons like 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2010 as "exciting seasons"? They were certainly better than many other dreadful seasons the Reinsdorf era has coughed up on us, but that doesn't make them exciting in the classical sense.

You and Dick Allen focus more on excuse making for the horrid record of Reinsdorf over the past 35 years than I do reporting accurately on it, which is saying something, given my consistency of pointing it out. Life is what you make of it, as you rightly suggest. If that involves settling for much less than you should, then that's ok, if that's what you desire. It's also ok if you strive for something a little bit more, which overwhelmingly, the majority of fans of our White Sox on this site seem to do.

That is the most ridiculous justification of misery I have ever read. You sound like a battered spouse who is still trying to fix him. If you actually enjoyed the team at all, you wouldn't be constantly be complaining about the last 35 years all of the time.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 12:41 AM)

Mark

Religion and government I get .... baseball team, not so much. Unless you have another problem, like gambling.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 12, 2015 -> 09:14 PM)

Perhaps they can find a way to fill some of their holes with complementary/stop-gap types, but, if they are in Year 2 of this Year 3 (imaginary) plan, they need another Abreu in the middle of this lineup. I think the glaring holes at 3B, SS, 2B, DH and C may have hidden that the middle of this lineup is missing at least one bat; obviously Abreu will bat 3rd most days, but what bats 4th? Melky Cabrera is in the mix and he's a good hitter, but they need another 30 HR threat in the middle of that lineup.

I'm assuming C and 2B will be filled internally and SS/DH are likely too be so they have to lean on existing players to improve for the most part, but they really need a difference maker and all the better at a need position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)
That is the most ridiculous justification of misery I have ever read. You sound like a battered spouse who is still trying to fix him. If you actually enjoyed the team at all, you wouldn't be constantly be complaining about the last 35 years all of the time.

Another throw away comment only meant to insult, when you can't refute facts. So sad for you.

Meanwhile, in 34 of Jerry Reinsdorf's 35 years of ownership of our White Sox, the team has failed to win even one playoff series. Not one! It's almost impossible to believe. The Kansas City Royals have a more impressive postseason record during this same time period, for crying out loud. That's why when we true diehard fans see the kinds of results we've seen as recently as the past decade, and yet the operating model still continues to be dominated by an unaccountable loyalty program, you see the angst in so many comments at a site like this. It also explains the miserably low attendance and TV ratings.

These are the facts of the past as they relate to Reinsdorf's management of the team. He's been a complete disaster as owner. Now, can he and his unaccountable henchmen find a way to turn this thing around and find that elusive "sustained success" they've been "talking about" for so long now? I guess it's possible - anything can happen. But boy oh boy, their track record doesn't create much confidence in their ability to do so. I hope they prove me wrong!

QUOTE (spiderman @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 07:11 PM)
Perhaps they can find a way to fill some of their holes with complementary/stop-gap types, but, if they are in Year 2 of this Year 3 (imaginary) plan, they need another Abreu in the middle of this lineup. I think the glaring holes at 3B, SS, 2B, DH and C may have hidden that the middle of this lineup is missing at least one bat; obviously Abreu will bat 3rd most days, but what bats 4th? Melky Cabrera is in the mix and he's a good hitter, but they need another 30 HR threat in the middle of that lineup.

I'm assuming C and 2B will be filled internally and SS/DH are likely too be so they have to lean on existing players to improve for the most part, but they really need a difference maker and all the better at a need position.

just a question to all, do the sox really need a 30 hr a season as a player to be get.

i mean dunn was that kind of player. a 30 hr guy with a batting avg of 230 .

i think a hitter, who has the ability to hit 20+ hrs, and avg hitting of 270 avg, and has a contact of rate to k's stat.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
Another throw away comment only meant to insult, when you can't refute facts. So sad for you.

Meanwhile, in 34 of Jerry Reinsdorf's 35 years of ownership of our White Sox, the team has failed to win even one playoff series. Not one! It's almost impossible to believe. The Kansas City Royals have a more impressive postseason record during this same time period, for crying out loud. That's why when we true diehard fans see the kinds of results we've seen as recently as the past decade, and yet the operating model still continues to be dominated by an unaccountable loyalty program, you see the angst in so many comments at a site like this. It also explains the miserably low attendance and TV ratings.

These are the facts of the past as they relate to Reinsdorf's management of the team. He's been a complete disaster as owner. Now, can he and his unaccountable henchmen find a way to turn this thing around and find that elusive "sustained success" they've been "talking about" for so long now? I guess it's possible - anything can happen. But boy oh boy, their track record doesn't create much confidence in their ability to do so. I hope they prove me wrong!

Yep Reimsdorf is trying to screw all of us.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2015 -> 03:19 AM)
Yep Reimsdorf is trying to screw all of us.

i am not taking sides on this. but this is a vague statement.

by default he is or trying to do. no matter what any evidence someone points out or uses and even try to use logic to defend. JR as representing the owners who said that the sox can not afford to go forward to rebuild without the fans spending their hard earned money.

now for those who wants to jump on me, how many games do you attend esp if you live in chi?? have any been a season ticket holder esp after the 2005, how many partial season tickets have you brought.

also there has been some posters, admin / mods / and regulars who just submit a 1 sentence response, who i suspect is trying to agitate the situation or some know poster using other accounts to attack posters..... double standards here.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 11:41 PM)

Mark

Since the new century "mental midgets" come to mind. They either couldn't handle pressure or the other teams were better at baseball. I often think it's the latter but we often have more choke than clutch.