Cubs-Mets (Better Team) NLCS

Panerista

Who wins  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
This board is going to be ten years of misery. The Cubs are going to win for a long time. They're way ahead of schedule.

Probably but players can regress and injuries happen. The Cubs wouldn't be the first young team to look like a perennial contender but not actually become one.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 07:44 AM)
Watching the news this morning and they found a cub fan in Buffalo Grove that has been waiting for this for 70 years. I wonder where they find these people?

Waiting 70 years for an appearance in the NLCS? Was he in a coma in 2003?

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 07:45 AM)
This board is going to be ten years of misery. The Cubs are going to win for a long time. They're way ahead of schedule.

The Nationals had the NL locked up for the next 5 years too. The Cubs very well may dominate, but s*** happens in baseball.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
Everything has gone right for the cubs and players have had career years and in Arrieta's case a once in a generation career year.

I think the cubs will be good but I think they only win 80 games next year.

They have have sustained very few injuries.

I don't know about that. Maddon is a genius remember? :P

Maddon is a great manager. Consistently got his Rays teams to overachieve in a tough division. And obviously he's done a fantastic job with a young Cubs team too.

A lot of being a great manager isn't measurable. For the people that think it's all interchangeable, these are probably the same people that get on juries for murder and need DNA proof or video to convict.

LOL at the Cubs winning only 80 games next season. Get your brain in gear, Harry. You must have been thinking about the organization that is the White Sox.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
I just think that they will crash down to earth especially Arrieta.

Arrieta is arbitration eligible after this season and is going to cost a ton of money. He screams TJ surgery in spring training to me. Fowler will be gone via free agency.

Everything has gone right.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them only win upper 86-90 games next season (Arrieta's ERA regresses to high 2s, Bryant can't sustain his super high BABIP, sophomore slumps, etc.), but 80 would mean absolutely everything went wrong, especially if they pick up a top SP in the offseason.

Edited by OmarComing25

You said before that Arrieta is having a once-in-a-generation year. Look at his 2014 stats on fangraphs. He was just as good, although he only had 25 starts (check WAR per start). Predicting injuries is meaningless, why even say anything? Dexter Fowler is a 110 wRC+ hitter at this point - very replaceable.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
You said before that Arrieta is having a once-in-a-generation year. Look at his 2014 stats on fangraphs. He was just as good, although he only had 25 starts (check WAR per start). Predicting injuries is meaningless, why even say anything? Dexter Fowler is a 110 wRC+ hitter at this point - very replaceable.

Fangraphs says Arrieta is outperforming his FIP by a significant margin. He's obviously very, very good but it's just highly unlikely he'll put up another season with an ERA well under 2. Same deal with Greinke.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
Fangraphs says Arrieta is outperforming his FIP by a significant margin. He's obviously very, very good but it's just highly unlikely he'll put up another season with an ERA well under 2. Same deal with Greinke.

Agreed. I'd expect a 2.50-3.00 ERA season from him next year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 08:23 AM)
The Nationals had the NL locked up for the next 5 years too. The Cubs very well may dominate, but s*** happens in baseball.

Ya nobody should be surprised if the Cubs do indeed become the Cardinals for the next decade or if they have a few injuries that derail everything. Baseball is a funny game.