Cubs-Mets (Better Team) NLCS

Panerista

Who wins  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

Cubs fans won't shut up about the goat, Bartman, Brant Brown, Leon Durham, the black cat...

Red Sox fans wouldn't shut up about The Bambino, Bucky f'n Dent, Bill Buckner...

Sure Sox fans would bring up the Black Sox, but we never blamed our recent woes on them.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
Right. Before and since 2005, Sox fans don't chalk up bad luck to curses. We're hyper-critical of our teams, front office, etc.

Curse Black Sox >>> Curse of the Bambino >>> Curse of Rocky Colavito >>> Curse of the Billy Goat

The first three had direct impacts on the team rosters. The Black Sox extended baseball's segregation, removed Hall of Famers and turned a would-be dynasty to mediocrity.

I am not familiar with this. Do you have more info?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
I am not familiar with this. Do you have more info?

Kenesaw Mountain Landis is historically seen as a large factor in the continuation of baseball's segregation. He's a direct by-product of the Black Sox scandal.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Four game winning streaks (or four out of five) have happened before in the history of the universe. Cubs themselves just ripped three in a row off in the DS and four out of five going back to the WC game. I'll feel better about things if the Mets keep their foot on the Cubs throat and pull it off tonight.

Normally I'd agree, but I don't see the Cubs winning 4 out of 5 against deGrom, Matz, Harvey, Syndergaard, and then deGrom again.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if the Cubs forced a game 6. I think the Mets will either sweep or win in 5.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
Normally I'd agree, but I don't see the Cubs winning 4 out of 5 against deGrom, Matz, Harvey, Syndergaard, and then deGrom again.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if the Cubs forced a game 6. I think the Mets will either sweep or win in 5.

I too think the Mets win this in 5, but it's baseball and it rarely fails to surprise you. I won't be comfortable until the Cubs are dead, even if the Mets are up 3-0 and have a 10-run lead in game 4.

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2h2 hours ago

If the #Cubs win Game 3, Jason Hamel is starting Game 4. If they lose, could turn to Lester on short rest or use bullpen by committee

The Cubs have a better chance of winning with Hammel than either of those options.

I'm not sure tonight will be a Mets win. deGrom looked sloppy last time out and might just be running on fumes. The problem is the Mets are just going to keep coming with guys who, if they are on, are shutdown caliber and the Cubs $180m man looks over-the-hill and the emergent ace got inexplicably ran into the ground by a manager with nothing to win for. Can the Cubs just out slug the Mets in 4 of the remaining 5 games of the series (2 of which are in New York)? Maybe? Doesn't seem likely though. The Mets haven't had a big offensive explosion yet either, and they outslugged the NL after they got Cespedes.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
The Cubs have a better chance of winning with Hammel than either of those options.

I'm not sure tonight will be a Mets win. deGrom looked sloppy last time out and might just be running on fumes. The problem is the Mets are just going to keep coming with guys who, if they are on, are shutdown caliber and the Cubs $180m man looks over-the-hill and the emergent ace got inexplicably ran into the ground by a manager with nothing to win for. Can the Cubs just out slug the Mets in 4 of the remaining 5 games of the series (2 of which are in New York)? Maybe? Doesn't seem likely though. The Mets haven't had a big offensive explosion yet either, and they outslugged the NL after they got Cespedes.

It seems like a lot of the pitchers are running on fumes, haven't really been super impressed with any one pitcher this postseason (looking at it as a whole, not individual starts). Considering a lot of these guys are in brand new territory in terms of innings pitched it makes sense. A lot of the aces are getting lit up, which seems to happen a lot. Makes me even more impressed with what Bumgarner did, also considering the late postseason run didn't seem to affect him this year, which seems to happen to a lot of SP from teams that make a deep run (2006 White Sox, Shields/Duffy/Guthrie/Ventura seemed affected by it this year as well).

It seems like a lot of the pitchers are running on fumes, haven't really been super impressed with any one pitcher this postseason (looking at it as a whole, not individual starts). Considering a lot of these guys are in brand new territory in terms of innings pitched it makes sense. A lot of the aces are getting lit up, which seems to happen a lot. Makes me even more impressed with what Bumgarner did, also considering the late postseason run didn't seem to affect him this year, which seems to happen to a lot of SP from teams that make a deep run (2006 White Sox, Shields/Duffy/Guthrie/Ventura seemed affected by it this year as well).

Harvey and Syndergaard didn't appear to mind. But again, Arrieta went CGSO against the Pirates in the play-in game and now look at him. deGrom, even on his deathbed, throws harder than Hendricks anyways so maybe tonight will just be a big 8-10 slug-a-thon.

The Cubs pitching is all but confirmed dead, Arrieta's postseason ERA (not incl the play-in game because that's not really postseason anymore) is almost 9 and Lester just looks lost. The Mets we dont know, and wont know until the series is over at this point. Harvey and Syndergaard might not have anything left after their last starts, deGrom might already be toast, Matz is going to start Game 4 on 7 days rest w/ only 140 IP this year, but maybe that doesn't mean anything either. Luckily for the Mets is unless deGrom/Matz are completely gassed I cant imagine either being much worse than Hendricks and Hammel. That and the Mets are full of maybe's while the Cubs pitching problems seem a lot more definitive and are coming from an 0-2 hole in the series.

Mets still have a good offense to fall back on.

I know, my point is down 0-2 the way to come back is through good pitching matchups, and the Cubs wont have any until Syndergaard/Arrieta swings back around. That doesn't even seem like a good matchup for the Cubs anymore. And that will be in New York.

If Cespedes, Duda and Wright break out of their slumps, which on an unseasonably warm night in Chicago with wind blowing out against a guy who cant throw 90 mph seems plausible, it gets even worse. Same can be said for a lot of the Cubs hitters, though. Difference is the Cubs need their hitters to all be firing to win this thing and the Mets could very well do it with Wright, Duda and Cespedes being complete non-factors offensively.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
I know, my point is down 0-2 the way to come back is through good pitching matchups, and the Cubs wont have any until Syndergaard/Arrieta swings back around. That doesn't even seem like a good matchup for the Cubs anymore. And that will be in New York.

If Cespedes, Duda and Wright break out of their slumps, which on an unseasonably warm night in Chicago with wind blowing out against a guy who cant throw 90 mph seems plausible, it gets even worse. Same can be said for a lot of the Cubs hitters, though. Difference is the Cubs need their hitters to all be firing to win this thing and the Mets could very well do it with Wright, Duda and Cespedes being complete non-factors offensively.

I said this a million times. These 3 games at wrigley make me nervous. Just a feeling i have. I won't rest until they are gone.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
I said this a million times. These 3 games at wrigley make me nervous. Just a feeling i have. I won't rest until they are gone.

Yep, Mets need to find a way to win one of the next two. Wind is going to be blowing in for game 5, it appears.

I actually think the Cubs win tonight because deGrom was very shaky in his last start. The ERA is very misleading.

But the road only gets tougher for them after tonight.

Cubs

1. Dexter Fowler - CF

2. Kyle Schwarber - LF

3. Kris Bryant - 3B

4. Anthony Rizzo - 1B

5. Starlin Castro - SS

6. Jorge Soler - RF

7. Miguel Montero - C

8. Kyle Hendricks - P

9. Javier Baez - SS

Mets

1. Curtis Granderson - RF

2. David Wright - 3B

3. Daniel Murphy - 2B

4. Yoenis Cespedes - CF

5. Lucas Duda - 1B

6. Travis d'Arnaud - C

7. Michael Conforto - LF

8. Wilmer Flores - SS

9. Jacob deGrom - P

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
At Wrigley: 1.037 OPS

Away from Wrigley: .693 OPS

Slump or not, you keep him 3rd at home. On the road he probably should have been dropped down

Bryant had their best swings on Sunday. At home with wind blowing out, he's due for a cheap homer.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
Saw this posted a couple days ago, things might have changed since then, too lazy to look.

Current Cheapest Ticket Prices for WS Home Game 1:

BlueJays: $442

Royals: $796

Mets: $902

Cubs: $2575

Good lord, Cubs fans are literally the dumbest people on Earth.

Yes, I realize that World Series appearances for their team are rare, but $2500 for one ticket? That's a fortune. Unless someone is insanely rich and don't know what to do with their money, that's crazy.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)

Yes, I realize that World Series appearances for their team are rare, but $2500 for one ticket? That's a fortune. Unless someone is insanely rich and don't know what to do with their money, that's crazy.

Let's be completely and totally honest here.

If that C were an indian head, and the sport were Hockey, we would all look like idiots.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)

Especially considering they are virtually guaranteed to be in the WS the next 10 years.