42 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cubs
    • Better club

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
Very much yes. And not "all" of them either. I have some very close friends that I've known my whole life that are high on sports right now. More power to them. 2005 was super fun as a Sox fan. And those friends of mine were very complimentary of the Sox in 2005. As much as I hate the stereotypical Cubs fan, and the way the media trips over themselves to embellish the franchise... I am silently rooting for the Cubs just so those aforementioned close friends can experience what we got to experience in 2005.

And on a side note, if the Cubs do go on to win the ALCS or even World Series, does that put any pressure on the Sox to maybe rethink things a little? Am I thinking too much?

Sums up my feelings. For years I have questioned why any self-respecting fan continued to give money to a Cubs franchise whose ownership group was inept, didn't care about the fans, and marketed the ballpark rather than the product on the field. Now, although the Ricketts family is not perfect and will make mistakes, I can not argue with their intentions and the execution seems pretty solid at this point. So, the contempt I have for the franchise itself has pretty much evaporated. I also do not begrudge friends who are true fans of both the Cubs and the game of baseball the opportunity to experience what we did in 2005. My remaining apprehension is all the dumb commentary of magic, encased baseballs on the scoreboard, media slobbering, etc. I think I can deal with it much better now though than if it happened in 2003. Good luck to them.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
I just can't win. I went to the bank this morning to make a deposit. I'm walking out to the parking lot and here comes the guy with a Cubs jacket. I obviously have my sox jacket on and he says, wrong jacket dude. Just leave me alone.

This is the stuff that prevents me from pulling for them in this situation. Just pull for your F'n team and leave everyone alone.

I'd feel pretty comfortable if the Mets can win tonight. Sure, Arrieta goes tomorrow, but they have a tremendous edge in the pitching matchups in Games 3 and 4.

I live in McHenry County, figure it's probably a good idea to stay in tonight and not deal with the nonsense out at bars.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
I just can't win. I went to the bank this morning to make a deposit. I'm walking out to the parking lot and here comes the guy with a Cubs jacket. I obviously have my sox jacket on and he says, wrong jacket dude. Just leave me alone.

I used to get the same thing when I hung out in bars. I would be minding my own business with friends and of course some dips*** cubs fan would have to say something about my Sox cap/jacket. Don't know why cubs fans are so concerned over what other people like. I can honestly care less what team someone else likes or supports since they are free to like whatever.

f*** the cubs and their self righteous fans. Go Mets!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 06:01 PM)
I used to get the same thing when I hung out in bars. I would be minding my own business with friends and of course some dips*** cubs fan would have to say something about my Sox cap/jacket. Don't know why cubs fans are so concerned over what other people like. I can honestly care less what team someone else likes or supports since they are free to like whatever.

f*** the cubs and their self righteous fans. Go Mets!

In 2005 I said nothing to cubs fans after we won. It will be a nightmare if they go to the ws.

I know we aren't even half way thru the first game but I feel much better about this Mets team matching up with the Cubs than I did about the cardinals (or dodgers if they had advanced). The mets have an equal "it" factor as the Cubs and their starting pitching is downright filthy. Many parallels to this team and the 69 Amazin Mets. I think the Cubs may have met their match. Mets in 6.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 17, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
In 2005 I said nothing to cubs fans after we won. It will be a nightmare if they go to the ws.

To an extent neither did I, except for those that were talking trash before hand. I left the silent cub fans alone.

I was pretty brazen in January of 2006. I was a truck driver and had a delivery in Wrigleyville, my helper was hungry and wanted McDonald's. Well,at the time we were traveling North on Clark so I stopped at the McDonald's across from Wrigley Field. The helper refused to go in to get the food with me because I was wearing a Sox hat/jacket and was afraid of getting his ass kicked so I had to go in and get the food. Man, I walked in with a smug look on my face and got the most f***ed up looks from people. They HATED me which made me actually laugh out loud. Oh how I hope for those days to return soon. :D

Harvey is looking great tonight!