Good Place For Dinner in Chicago?

hogan873

In early December, my wife and I along with some other couples are doing one of those touristy holiday trolley rides in Chicago. We're looking for a good place to have dinner beforehand. The tour starts and ends at the John Hancock Building.

There will be 8 of us, and we'd probably be looking to eat around 4:00 - 4:30. Not looking to spend a lot of money, and we definitely wouldn't be comfortable in a fancy place anyway. Just looking for a place with good food, good drinks, and a comfortable atmosphere.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
In early December, my wife and I along with some other couples are doing one of those touristy holiday trolley rides in Chicago. We're looking for a good place to have dinner beforehand. The tour starts and ends at the John Hancock Building.

There will be 8 of us, and we'd probably be looking to eat around 4:00 - 4:30. Not looking to spend a lot of money, and we definitely wouldn't be comfortable in a fancy place anyway. Just looking for a place with good food, good drinks, and a comfortable atmosphere.

Thanks

There's a Lou Malnati's about a mile from the Hancock Center. If you're okay with deep dish, that will always be my suggestions no matter where in the city you're hanging out.

Thanks

Cheesecake factory is excellent and right in the Hancock Tower, but it might fall into the fancy/pricey range depending on your definition.

For pizza there is Giordano's (Rush/Sperior) or Geno's East (St. Clair/Superior)

Ditka's is at Chestnut/Rush but again may be pricey depending on your definition.

My other favorite in that area was Heaven on Seven but I think they closed the Rush St. location and you'd have to go down to the loop now.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)

Thanks

Frontera Grill

Please no, dont ever list cheesecake factory in a restaurnat recommendation list.

Melnicks is a good reco, bar food, good beer, open all day.

If you want a bite before your tour or in the morning, I fully recommend going to Do-Rite donuts. They are the best in the world and their chicken sandwiches are also on point. Its just outstanding.

Edited by RockRaines

Please no, dont ever list cheesecake factory in a restaurnat recommendation list.

Melnicks is a good reco, bar food, good beer, open all day.

If you want a bite before your tour or in the morning, I fully recommend going to Do-Rite donuts. They are the best in the world and their chicken sandwiches are also on point. Its just outstanding.

I've had dinner at Cheesecake Factory twice and really enjoyed it both times. Not talking about just the cheesecake. Had entrees that I really liked.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
Yeah or Xoco may make more sense for lower cost. Their milanesa is so good. I think I like it better than Cemitas Puebla.

Xoco is legit and definitely a better choice in terms of price/crowds. Not sure I can agree with the second part though...

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
Xoco is legit and definitely a better choice in terms of price/crowds. Not sure I can agree with the second part though...

Cemitas Puebla used to be the sleeper of all sleepers, now there is one in Fulton Market that is 3 dollars more per sandwich.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
Cheesecake factory is excellent and right in the Hancock Tower, but it might fall into the fancy/pricey range depending on your definition.

For pizza there is Giordano's (Rush/Sperior) or Geno's East (St. Clair/Superior)

Ditka's is at Chestnut/Rush but again may be pricey depending on your definition.

My other favorite in that area was Heaven on Seven but I think they closed the Rush St. location and you'd have to go down to the loop now.

Don't go to the cheesecake factory downtown, there's so many better options.

yeah, whatever, I know cemitas puebla is the cool answer but xoco's was better the time I had it. Have not been to the fulton market cemitas puebla, I refuse to entertain when logan square/HP restaurants go to west loop. They stole Urban Belly and Wasabi's one did not look better.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
yeah, whatever, I know cemitas puebla is the cool answer but xoco's was better the time I had it. Have not been to the fulton market cemitas puebla, I refuse to entertain when logan square/HP restaurants go to west loop. They stole Urban Belly and Wasabi's one did not look better.

I like Xoco, but the Atomica is probably the best fast food item I've ever had. Admittedly I didn't try the milanesa at Xoco.

If it makes you feel any better, I always went to the HP location on North Ave. Never been to the West Loop one, though that's more out of laziness than anything (it's slightly more than a mile from work, a little farther than I want to walk for lunch considering I also have to walk back).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
I like Xoco, but the Atomica is probably the best fast food item I've ever had. Admittedly I didn't try the milanesa at Xoco.

If it makes you feel any better, I always went to the HP location on North Ave. Never been to the West Loop one, though that's more out of laziness than anything (it's slightly more than a mile from work, a little farther than I want to walk for lunch considering I also have to walk back).

Yep, I refuse to go to the west loop location. The original is still the best.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
Yep, I refuse to go to the west loop location. The original is still the best.

The original is actually closed now due to lease issues. They opened a temporary location on Armitage and they're supposedly renovating a new permanent location.

Nice tangent!

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
The original is actually closed now due to lease issues. They opened a temporary location on Armitage and they're supposedly renovating a new permanent location.

Nice tangent!

Damn that sucks. I loved going into that spot. Usually I was the only gringo in there just scarfing my face off.