Ten Year Members

Texsox

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
What causes people to leave sites like these and never come back? I don't post often, but I have been on soxtalk almost everyday for the last 10 years or so. As a sox fan not in the Chicago area this is easily the best way for me to stay in touch with how other sox fans react to moves the team makes and how the season is going. I love the minor league aspect of the board as well. It's just very weird to me that some members that used to post daily just stop being a part of the message board completely.

I'm in the same boat but post a little more than you.

I typically post a couple times a week. Back when I first signed up, I was posting in game threads throughout the whole game and much more active on other topics. Just don't have the time for that now and sometimes the desire isn't there. There's already plenty of threads discussing the crappy results we get from the team, why post more complaints or "original ideas"?

Edit: just saw that I joined in 2003... Man time flies. And I was lurking around without signing up to soxtalk for like a year before I registered.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:01 AM)
Too bad there's not a scientific way to figure out most loved poster; most hated poster; etc. I would say the 10 year posters are true Sox fans. If the Sox didn't mean a lot to us/them we would move on.

There is the option to give a star rating to posters on their profiles.

I'm sitting at 4 stars. I'll take it. And with that, I'm probably immediately getting bumped down to a 2 or 3.

But for real, the folks who are at 10+ years have been pretty dedicated to this site. Though a lot of posters have gone away, it's nice to many still around. I don't post a ton, but I'm on here every day. It has been interesting to see so many of us grow up - people getting married, having kids, etc.

I was 15 - a sophomore in high school - when I joined SoxTalk. Now I'm 27. It's astonishing to think about how much changes during those years in life. And yet I've been coming to this site almost every day for all of those years. That's a testament to the job Jason has done, as well as the admins/moderators who help run the site.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 11:27 PM)
I'm sitting at 4 stars. I'll take it. And with that, I'm probably immediately getting bumped down to a 2 or 3.

But for real, the folks who are at 10+ years have been pretty dedicated to this site. Though a lot of posters have gone away, it's nice to many still around. I don't post a ton, but I'm on here every day. It has been interesting to see so many of us grow up - people getting married, having kids, etc.

I was 15 - a sophomore in high school - when I joined SoxTalk. Now I'm 27. It's astonishing to think about how much changes during those years in life. And yet I've been coming to this site almost every day for all of those years. That's a testament to the job Jason has done, as well as the admins/moderators who help run the site.

Thinking about the rough times and good times that posters here have gone through is interesting. Looking back at really old threads makes me laugh. More times than not I keep thinking did I really write that?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
Chat crew was the best part of soxtalk.

Wow. I'd totally forgotten about that. 97% of the conversation had nothing to do with baseball.

I'm coming up on 13 years?!?!? And 25,000 posts? :o

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 8, 2015 -> 11:40 PM)
Wow. I'd totally forgotten about that. 97% of the conversation had nothing to do with baseball.

I'm coming up on 13 years?!?!? And 25,000 posts? :o

You also are the reason I had to change my name, too many people thinking I said what you said in the chat and on the boards!

I find myself often almost shut out of most of the baseball talk since by the time I see a thread, after reading all the comments, someone has already mentioned what i saw/thought/felt, and it just felt redundant. I ventured into the chats occasionally, which were good, but my baseball viewing is rarely without interruptions. So most of my convos have been in SlaP. I have been making an effort to try and post more in the other areas, even if it is just repeating something already said a dozen times. So glad I left the mlb chat boards for here, even with my frequent confrontations on the SLaP forum.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
Mr. Gamecock himself. The guy who think USC is a team back east ;)

Hey...I still call them South Carolina, never USC. I don't get into that debate! People around here take it seriously, for sure. This year, I'm not claiming anything South Carolina, sadly...

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
After 2005, I felt like the Sox had accomplished everything I'd ever wanted...and if I'm being perfectly honest, baseball lost a lot of it's sheen to me. At the time it was my favorite sport, and after it happened, I felt like it was over.

Me too. Baseball is now kind of boring. I have no tribal rooting interest that needs validation. They won one, they may never again. Whatever, baseball is too slow for me to watch regularly.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
Me too. Baseball is now kind of boring. I have no tribal rooting interest that needs validation. They won one, they may never again. Whatever, baseball is too slow for me to watch regularly.

I have some similar thoughts to this one, however, I think part of the reason we all feel this way is because of how poor a product the Sox have put on the field. It has been truly pitiful and awful to watch. Very few guys are exciting, our defense is terrible. Basically the entire brand of White Sox baseball has stunk for people who enjoy the game and thus it has became extremely pitiful to watch.

As I say more now than I did when I was younger, sports are entertainment, you need to be entertained and nothing about the recent Sox stretch has been entertaining (outside of last off-season). They have consistently came out of the gates slow and as a result, have generally been out of contention for the vast majority of the long baseball seasons.

Baseball does need to speed its pace of play up. Manfred seems to get that so I'm optimistic of where they will take it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
I have some similar thoughts to this one, however, I think part of the reason we all feel this way is because of how poor a product the Sox have put on the field. It has been truly pitiful and awful to watch. Very few guys are exciting, our defense is terrible. Basically the entire brand of White Sox baseball has stunk for people who enjoy the game and thus it has became extremely pitiful to watch.

As I say more now than I did when I was younger, sports are entertainment, you need to be entertained and nothing about the recent Sox stretch has been entertaining (outside of last off-season). They have consistently came out of the gates slow and as a result, have generally been out of contention for the vast majority of the long baseball seasons. Contrast that to say the Royals brand of baseball, where you know if you watch on any given night, you are probably going to see some stellar defensive plays and baserunning for that matter (stolen bases, imo, are exciting, especially when it happens in close games).

Baseball does need to speed its pace of play up. Manfred seems to get that so I'm optimistic of where they will take it.

Agreed. If the Sox were as exciting now as they were in 2005, all these people that say it's boring would certainly watch more of it.

Baseball will never lose its shine to me even though I never played little league or any kind of organized baseball. It was always just pick up games using a rubber ball played on schoolyard asphalt or playing fast pitch against a strike zone drawn on a wall.

Dad is a Sox fan . Him and 2 of my brothers got their picture in a Family day photo in a program a long time ago. Went to Disco Demolition . Remember the Chuck Tanner Dick Allen days fondly. Winning Ugly . Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble , Bill Veeck, all the terrible teams and players , all the uniform changes, Harry Carry/Jimmy Piersall ,Old Comiskey . 2005 the crowning achievement , yet every year no matter how awful I think they will be I still get the baseball package on DirecTV. Dad always said Johnny Mostil was a distant relative. Ken Berry and Joel Horlen were my childhood favorite players. Man it's just in my blood . If I stood next to Chris Sale you'd think I was his father , same height and weight basically even to this day I'm still a stick figure. Baseball reigns :)