The 40-man, Rule 5, and roster decisions

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
Any guesses on non-tenders this coming Wednesday?

I could see Webb, Carroll, and Brantly non-tendered, but not sure if they really have to given their current 40-man.

Carroll hands down. Don't see him sticking on the 40. But I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is removed either. Brantly is younger and at least has MLB experience. Smith did not exactly light the world on fire last year and is known to suffer in the defense department. He did not even earn a September call-up last year which I think has to say something in regards to how the Sox view him.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
Webb, hands down. He had a bad year, and it kept getting worse and worse. Kahnle acquisition prob sealed his fate.

He's still cheap, most likely had options (not positive), and there are plenty of spots on the 40 man at the moment.

Why would you DFA Webb?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
He's still cheap, most likely had options (not positive), and there are plenty of spots on the 40 man at the moment.

Why would you DFA Webb?

100% agree. Send him down to AAA to start the season. He still has a nice arm and offers some depth in the event of injury.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 06:17 PM)

Why would you DFA Webb?

Because he can't get big league hitters out.

"Can't get big league hitters out" is an expression, Wite, not a literal statement. I thought with your Adminhood you would know the difference. I wasn't talking about his performance in 2013-14.

Last season, he had a lot of trouble getting anyone out, especially after his first 30 days after being called up. He pitched 30 innings last season, so with your powers of deduction, he recorded 90 outs.

He gave up 46 hits and 23 walks/HBP. And he was getting worse as the season progressed.

Figure it out. He couldn't get MANY/ENOUGH hitters out, okay?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)
"Can't get big league hitters out" is an expression, Wite, not a literal statement. I thought with your Adminhood you would know the difference. I wasn't talking about his performance in 2013-14.

Last season, he had a lot of trouble getting anyone out, especially after his first 30 days after being called up. He pitched 30 innings last season, so with your powers of deduction, he recorded 90 outs.

He gave up 46 hits and 23 walks/HBP. And he was getting worse as the season progressed.

He wouldn't be the first guy to struggle getting many/enough/however you want to put it , big league hitters out, who eventually figure out how to get them out. He has a ton of ability. He has horrible command and control. If he can get that harnessed, he would be a well above average bullpen option. That is obviously a huge if, but it doesn't cost too much to find out if he can, and you won't exactly get a future all star for his services.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)

i am not trying to take sides and find this exchange to be informative.

but using last yr season, is not a good way to judge anyone. b/c last yr sucked hitters and pitchers alike.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 07:14 AM)

We got it.

But you're still wrong.

You don't DFA young, cheap relievers with a good arm and MLB experience when they have options and you have plenty of space on the 40 man. If they're looking for guys to clear from the 40 man, there are a few that would go before Webb, who is probably pretty safe right now.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
We got it.

But you're still wrong.

You don't DFA young, cheap relievers with a good arm and MLB experience when they have options and you have plenty of space on the 40 man. If they're looking for guys to clear from the 40 man, there are a few that would go before Webb, who is probably pretty safe right now.

the 40 man now stands at 38....

me i can dfa smith, olt, davidson and i would even go with a laroche, (depending on his contract structure.) and carroll as he was last yr.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 06:27 PM)
MLBtraderumors has a non-tender tracker for tomorrow night's deadline. They have six Sox players that qualify for their tracker-- Avi, Flowers, Jennings, Jones, Putnam, and Turner. I would doubt any of these guys gets non-tendered.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/non-tender-tracker-2015-16

Could be some minor trades over the next 36 hours.

a great find.

ref dfa list... wow, they have some surprise there.

i really don't understand this move, are they really going to dive in the market and expect to get a lot of players???

any ideas of this would be helpful.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 06:34 PM)
So who do we have unprotected that we arguably should protect.

Is Robinson Leyer really available? Sox value Carroll over him?????

We will have a Rule 5 preview up on Monday, covering this. Yes RLeyer is available, no they don't value Carroll over him, but protection is not just about prospect status. The risk of Leyer being picked is incredibly low, because he has one very good pitch (a fastball that moves and runs 94-97), and NOTHING else. His breaking pitches don't break much, and he can't locate them. Carroll is a higher claim risk than Leyer.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 07:47 AM)
We will have a Rule 5 preview up on Monday, covering this. Yes RLeyer is available, no they don't value Carroll over him, but protection is not just about prospect status. The risk of Leyer being picked is incredibly low, because he has one very good pitch (a fastball that moves and runs 94-97), and NOTHING else. His breaking pitches don't break much, and he can't locate them. Carroll is a higher claim risk than Leyer.

Can you explain what puts you at risk for the minor league phase of the Rule 5? Thanks in advance.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
Can you explain what puts you at risk for the minor league phase of the Rule 5? Thanks in advance.

So, for the MAJOR league phase, it's guys not on the 40-man who are at either the 4th or 5th Rule 5 since signing, depending on age at signing (5 if 18 and younger, 4 if 19 and older). Then for the MINOR league phase, the team can further protect guys on their "reserve" list, which is beyond the 40-man rosters. The reserve lists are not published so I'm not so clear on who is really, typically on them, but it isn't everyone in the minors. Eligible guys get picked all the time in the minor league phases.