Illinois fires AD Mike Thomas

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
Good Riddance.

The report must be bad.

Edit: Or not so bad (I see that the statement says the firing is "without cause").

Regardless of what their press report says, I think we can all assume it was the report that did him in. It's no coincidence they're releasing it today. They probably just agreed to pay his severance package rather than have another court case.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
What awful timing. This couldn't have been done a couple months ago?

I don't think it matters. It sounds like the school did some actual due diligence and handled the situation just fine.

Time to start looking at AD candidates.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
I don't think it matters. It sounds like the school did some actual due diligence and handled the situation just fine.

Time to start looking at AD candidates.

It matters because football coaches start getting hired in about a month.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
Regardless of what their press report says, I think we can all assume it was the report that did him in. It's no coincidence they're releasing it today. They probably just agreed to pay his severance package rather than have another court case.

Yeah, I wouldn't be too sure of that holding up down state.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
Ugh, this timing...such an Illinois thing to do. We better have a good idea of who can take over, as mentioned our next FB hire is coming up quickly.

I don't think I know a U of I alum that didn't think he needed to be fired months ago.

Apparently the report says he committed no misconduct, which is probably what just about everyone figured before. But when this stuff does happen underneath you, and it is occurring with people you hire who have had similar incidents at other places, it does show while he was on the up and up, he was pretty incompetent.

Now they can move on. I do think this puts a little more pressure on Groce, but if they do fine, he should be alright.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
He seems okay with it. I think there would have been harsh words from both sides if this was going to court.

I mean the payout of a severance for a guy who was fired. Rauner and company have been stopping them down state. They are the ones who write the checks.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150922/news/150929718/

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Cubit and all other assistants are cleared of any wrong doing as well. It was all Beckman. So that's good at least.

What they all were guilty of, was not reporting it. The defense that they were unaware is pretty weak.

It is a tough one because their employment status is/was probably closely tied to Beckman's.

Edited by Dick Allen