White Privilege?

greg775

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
Show me where people are saying this or demanding this.

I'm talking about talk radio and stuff I've been hearing. That Mizzou should hire an African American coach and speculation the masses may freak if that does not happen. Because of the the incident with the football team boycotting that week.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
Greg, how do you not know what a citation is?

I thought he meant there should be a citation issued against me for stating my opinion. I'm paranoid since the year I got suspended from the board six months.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry Odom is the leading candidate for the job and there hasn't been a peep about whatever you are talking about greg.

All of the hypotheticals about how a "group" will respond, it may ease your concern if you actually just bothered to listen instead of constantly forming an opinion on how they react and how they may react to situations.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
I'm talking about talk radio and stuff I've been hearing. That Mizzou should hire an African American coach and speculation the masses may freak if that does not happen. Because of the the incident with the football team boycotting that week.

I thought he meant there should be a citation issued against me for stating my opinion. I'm paranoid since the year I got suspended from the board six months.

It was three months and it was 3 years ago.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)

Arrests have been made, and Mayor and Rep. Ellison call for end to encampment in front of police precinct

Protesters say they won't leave until the video is released. Government is saying that the video does not show the entire incident, and doesn't want to release it yet for fear of impacting witness statements.

As for comments earlier in this thread, nothing is really confirmed yet besides the officer's names or the reason the cops were called to the scene in the first place. Witnesses/protesters say he was handcuffed, cops say he wasn't. Cops say he tried to grab the cops gun, witnesses/protesters say he didn't. Anyone making any determinations at this point is blindly advancing their own agenda. Sadly, it's happening far too much.

• 3 months later...

According to the KC Star, freshmen enrollment at Mizzou is down 1,500 students. Upperclassmen are transferring in droves. Teachers won't see any raises this year. They cant fill teacher openings and it sounds like they expect teachers to leave. Discussing shutting down programs thanks to this mess. A 32 million dollar budget deficit, up to 25 of which is directly attributed to the protests. It's greatly helped UMKC though.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-go...le65306097.html

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 01:41 AM)
According to the KC Star, freshmen enrollment at Mizzou is down 1,500 students. Upperclassmen are transferring in droves. Teachers won't see any raises this year. They cant fill teacher openings and it sounds like they expect teachers to leave. Discussing shutting down programs thanks to this mess. A 32 million dollar budget deficit, up to 25 of which is directly attributed to the protests. It's greatly helped UMKC though.

Serious stuff, but understandable. Missouri did such a poor job handling that mess. First the football coach backs the team, when the team actually got duped. The guy who was on the hunger strike, whom Pinkel thought was a real student who was starving himself to death in protest, turned out to be a professional activist. So the football team gets brought into it, which had to anger a lot of rich (white) alums. You know it did anger them. That's obvious.

Then the student issue. Remember the incident in which kids were in the library studying and the radical activists were going in there yelling at them and telling them to march. Then a few went out to march and got their heads bit off at the march as well.

Who needs it? College is tough enough. It takes amazing leadership to combat these protestors, that is for sure.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 08:41 PM)

Not surprising. If I was a prospective college student out that way, any interest I may have had in that university would be greatly diminished

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 11, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
Not surprising. If I was a prospective college student out that way, any interest I may have had in that university would be greatly diminished

Yup, I lost my job next semester due to budget cuts.

• 1 month later...

After watching a video of some entitled college students listing all the sentences that are offensive to them (asking an Asian person where they are from was included as offensive; good luck making small talk in the future) and it got me to thinking about the Black Lives Matter movement.

I was thinking ... we have an African American president who won twice; the next President is female and is a hero to the African American voter, many if not a majority of the mayors of big cities are African American, many if not a majority of police chiefs in big cities are African American. Haven't we made a lot of progress in this area?

Why don't the Black Lives Matter people go to the top and speak with Obama about the issue or go to the mayors and police chiefs and protest whenever they are in public? Walking in a library and screaming at white people seems a silly strategy when there are a lot of leaders who are African American who might be in a position to be able to help them?

Oh and the students said saying All Lives Matter is definitely offensive and one should be expelled for doing so on the video I watched.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 01:49 AM)
I challenge you to find Whitlock's columns on the Missouri situation. He is an incredible writer about race.

I challenge you to find the columns that interest you, highlight the link, paste the link to this page, pull out quotes, and discuss them and tell us why you find this race baiter to be such an incredible writer about race.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 02:49 AM)
I challenge you to find Whitlock's columns on the Missouri situation. He is an incredible writer about race.

Whitlock is horrible. He's a horrible journalist. He's a horrible sports personality. All he does is complain and race bait in everything he covers.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Whitlock is horrible. He's a horrible journalist. He's a horrible sports personality. All he does is complain and race bait in everything he covers.

I'll find the link. But his column ripping the MU student president was awesome. Also he points out how MU as a university has been totally crippled by the inappropriate actions of Black Lives Matter on that campus a few months ago.

For starters, read this one. Excellent.

http://j.school/post/133025099640/crying-w...es-real-problem

This second link is perfection.

http://j.school/post/140818405005/concerne...-tacticsresults

Here are some of the greatest paragraphs in written history

Our best and brightest young people are being used and abused. Addicted to social media and popular culture, assimilated and enslaved mentally, they’ve bought the myth that anti-white is the new pro-black, that improving white people is the key to black progress. They want black lives to matter more to white people than they do to us.

Any slight by a white person is a reason to whine, cry and demand government intervention. The Missouri football players and a group of their student peers created a $32-million budget shortfall over “hardships” and rude behavior so frivolous that they’re embarrassing to repeat because they point to a fragility that has never defined black folk. Mizzou’s freshman enrollment is down nearly 20 percent. The interim chancellor, Hank Foley, announced the school will slash its budget 5 percent across the board.

There’s no money to pay for the programs and policies demanded by Concerned Students 1950, the Missouri group inspired by Black Lives Matter. The school’s brand has been significantly damaged.

What was gained? A Spike Lee documentary? The resignation of a figurehead who will be replaced by another figurehead?

Whatever was gained won’t be offset by the hardened hearts and feelings powering The Winter of Trump.

The mainstream media, bloggers and Twitter activists who rode Black Lives Matter to relevancy won’t explain the ramifications of childish, emotional and in-your-face civil rights strategy. They’ll say eight years of Obama made America more comfortable with bigotry. They’ll never admit that black rioters, inspired by BLM, burning down a city controlled by a black mayor, black police chief, black attorney general and black city council ripened American voters for Trump.

The propagandized code phrase “respectability politics” makes it easy for young people to dismiss the advice of elders and belittle the tactics that helped deliver us from slavery and Jim Crow and would serve us best in the fight against mass incarceration. What’s difficult to refute is the superiority of the victories won by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and our greatest generation.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2016 -> 10:06 PM)
I'll find the link. But his column ripping the MU student president was awesome. Also he points out how MU as a university has been totally crippled by the inappropriate actions of Black Lives Matter on that campus a few months ago.

For starters, read this one. Excellent.

http://j.school/post/133025099640/crying-w...es-real-problem

This second link is perfection.

http://j.school/post/140818405005/concerne...-tacticsresults

Here are some of the greatest paragraphs in written history

Our best and brightest young people are being used and abused. Addicted to social media and popular culture, assimilated and enslaved mentally, they’ve bought the myth that anti-white is the new pro-black, that improving white people is the key to black progress. They want black lives to matter more to white people than they do to us.

Any slight by a white person is a reason to whine, cry and demand government intervention. The Missouri football players and a group of their student peers created a $32-million budget shortfall over “hardships” and rude behavior so frivolous that they’re embarrassing to repeat because they point to a fragility that has never defined black folk. Mizzou’s freshman enrollment is down nearly 20 percent. The interim chancellor, Hank Foley, announced the school will slash its budget 5 percent across the board.

There’s no money to pay for the programs and policies demanded by Concerned Students 1950, the Missouri group inspired by Black Lives Matter. The school’s brand has been significantly damaged.

What was gained? A Spike Lee documentary? The resignation of a figurehead who will be replaced by another figurehead?

Whatever was gained won’t be offset by the hardened hearts and feelings powering The Winter of Drumpf.

The mainstream media, bloggers and Twitter activists who rode Black Lives Matter to relevancy won’t explain the ramifications of childish, emotional and in-your-face civil rights strategy. They’ll say eight years of Obama made America more comfortable with bigotry. They’ll never admit that black rioters, inspired by BLM, burning down a city controlled by a black mayor, black police chief, black attorney general and black city council ripened American voters for Drumpf.

The propagandized code phrase “respectability politics” makes it easy for young people to dismiss the advice of elders and belittle the tactics that helped deliver us from slavery and Jim Crow and would serve us best in the fight against mass incarceration. What’s difficult to refute is the superiority of the victories won by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and our greatest generation.

Whitlock does raise good points, except Baltimore wasn't burnt down.

And I can't find what he wrote about Payton other than the fact that Payton being called a slur was trivial.

You know what? f*** that.

In the end, it was in the top 10% of Whitlock columns.

Whether Baltimore was burned down or just rioted into submission, the point still stands. It wasn't the Rodney King riots, or the late 1960's, but it was still some pretty scary stuff.

While the majority of column inches he writes are just meant to provoke or elicit page views, every once in a while he does have something insightful to say...and it is good to have African-American voices out there who don't always march lockstep in line with "mainstream" African-American ideology, whether it's about sports, or cultural/political issues.

Shots fired on Mizzou's campus last night. Nobody knows if it's kids celebrating the end of school firing shots in the air, or an incident.

This got me to wondering a poll question. If you were a white student on campus and somebody demanded you acknowledge your "white privilege" in a confrontational setting would you do it?

Because of the rudeness involved and my own self pride I would not. They'd have to beat me up. And I am not prejudiced in any way, trust me. I have a zillion African American friends. I'm not going to provide specific examples of that; trust me I'm colorblind and always have been. But if confronted in a library or mall or whatever by a gang would u acknowledge your white privilege if you are white? And this is not hyperbole. This is going on at Missouri campus and should be discussed by all families before they send their kids there to go to school.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Shots fired on Mizzou's campus last night. Nobody knows if it's kids celebrating the end of school firing shots in the air, or an incident.

This got me to wondering a poll question. If you were a white student on campus and somebody demanded you acknowledge your "white privilege" in a confrontational setting would you do it?

Because of the rudeness involved and my own self pride I would not. They'd have to beat me up. And I am not prejudiced in any way, trust me. I have a zillion African American friends. I'm not going to provide specific examples of that; trust me I'm colorblind and always have been. But if confronted in a library or mall or whatever by a gang would u acknowledge your white privilege if you are white? And this is not hyperbole. This is going on at Missouri campus and should be discussed by all families before they send their kids there to go to school.

Just tell them that you acknowledge that you have the privilege to be called a racist based on nothing but your skin color and move on.

By the way, anyone who says they don't see color is missing the big picture. You SHOULD see color, see what makes people different, see different cultures, understand that people have different backgrounds. Just don't be an ass bag and judge someone negatively based solely on the color of their skin.

Sometimes it's hard to defend yourself on a message board. You can mock me all you want and say I'm racist because I think the Black Lives Matter protestors are way out of line when they approach people in libraries and scream in their face, but I am not racist. Believe what you want. Say what you want. I am not racist.

I was the only white at dinner with three black friends a couple weeks ago and not once did we even talk about race. I think it's worth discussion what to do if these aggressive Black LIves Matter protestors approach you in a library and scream at you or your kids.

It's like WTF man, get out of my face. I'm not acknowledging white privilege just because you want me to.