Judge deciding whether to reveal police shooting video

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
I know, but the OP said that UIC was shut down when it was U of C that was shut down.

My sister goes to U of C. She came back home for the day. The guy who made the threat is just an imbecile.

I knew when he said he had an M4-Carbine and two desert eagles that the bloke has played too much counter-strike.

Edited by pettie4sox

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
I know, but the OP said that UIC was shut down when it was U of C that was shut down.

My sister goes to U of C. She came back home for the day. The guy who made the threat is just an imbecile.

Sounds like more than an imbecile...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
It's so ingrained though. You're not getting a city council position, judge appointment, garbage collector department head job, etc. unless you know someone in the system and have paid your dues.

edit: and who's our next mayor? Most likely Preckwinkle. And whose camp is she in? Rahm's. She's part of the same cog.

I thought she would be a nice change but yep the county has not changed one bit under her. The county once again raised taxes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/p...1109-story.html

The tipping point for living in this city, in this county, in this state continues to grow near.

Chicago has a lot of unique challenges but this is not one of them. This issue of it being impossible to hold police accountable for grievous actions while on the job is not a Chicago thing. It's obviously very difficult, but you can isolate changes that can fix it without throwing up the hands and saying "this city is so corrupt!". It is, but, at one point McCarthy and Rahm were "outsiders".

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
I thought she would be a nice change but yep the county has not changed one bit under her. The county once again raised taxes.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/p...1109-story.html

The tipping point for living in this city, in this county, in this state continues to grow near.

Disagree strongly here. Chicago and Cook County are corrupt, but people don't seem to see what has and hasn't changed. Preckwinkle and Emmanuel have both done pretty good work getting their financial pictures in a better place. Oh, you say it looks bad? Well yeah, it was awful before, but has gotten better in some key areas.

Emmanuel's handling of policing leaves a lot to be desired, and his work with CPS has been needlessly rocky. He's no angel for damn sure. But he was handed an absolute pile of financial poop, and he's done reasonably well with it, as opposed to Daley who drove the city to the cliff. Same with Preckwinkle, who has done a lot to fix the mess left by various Strogers.

I'll get yelled at now, because people are upset with the status quo. And I agree that the current picture is ugly. But it is less ugly. I probably wouldn't vote for Rahm again, but it depends on who else runs. Preckwinkle is fine, I voted for her before and would again. They are both hamstrung in so many ways, it will take a long, long time to get the ship back in order.

I'd love to see Claypool run for Mayor, by the way.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
Disagree strongly here. Chicago and Cook County are corrupt, but people don't seem to see what has and hasn't changed. Preckwinkle and Emmanuel have both done pretty good work getting their financial pictures in a better place. Oh, you say it looks bad? Well yeah, it was awful before, but has gotten better in some key areas.

Emmanuel's handling of policing leaves a lot to be desired, and his work with CPS has been needlessly rocky. He's no angel for damn sure. But he was handed an absolute pile of financial poop, and he's done reasonably well with it, as opposed to Daley who drove the city to the cliff. Same with Preckwinkle, who has done a lot to fix the mess left by various Strogers.

I'll get yelled at now, because people are upset with the status quo. And I agree that the current picture is ugly. But it is less ugly. I probably wouldn't vote for Rahm again, but it depends on who else runs. Preckwinkle is fine, I voted for her before and would again. They are both hamstrung in so many ways, it will take a long, long time to get the ship back in order.

I'd love to see Claypool run for Mayor, by the way.

I thought I liked Claypool and then I realized they are all a part of the same machine.

The upcoming CPS strike will make or break him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
I don't know. When you ask what one of the worst things an administration can do, it's hard not to say help cover up a murder.

I agree, it was quite terrible, though I would venture a guess that the cover-up work was almost entirely done out of sight of the Mayor. I do hold him accountable anyway though, through the lens of being a terrible manager, if that is the case.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
I thought I liked Claypool and then I realized they are all a part of the same machine.

The upcoming CPS strike will make or break him.

Not at all.

Claypool ran for County Board President, but the Stroger-Daley machine worked hard against him, at first to protect the younger Stroger. He also was ignored when it came to his brief Mayoral run. Claypool is not a machine guy, really. But he's a good leader, with strong business sense, and he was responsible for some pretty massive and effective changes with the Forest Preserve District, then CTA. CPS is his new challenge, and it is not a surprise they picked him for the crappiest job. He's better at making those work than others.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
I agree, it was quite terrible, though I would venture a guess that the cover-up work was almost entirely done out of sight of the Mayor. I do hold him accountable anyway though, through the lens of being a terrible manager, if that is the case.

Well, sure, but for obvious deniability reasons.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)

No chance. City Hall knew about the murder and the tape the night it happened or the next day. I'm 100% convinced Rahm, McCarthey, Alvarez, et al. had a call or a meeting and discussed the best way to handle the whole situation given the election ramifications and obviously the PR ramifications. If the judge had never ordered the CPD to release the video, it never would have gotten out and chances of that cop getting charged are very low. 14 months to indict! 14! Some bulls*** "blame it on the Feds" excuse is just that, bulls***.

Let's also not forget about the "secret" CPD interrogation building. What's been the status of THAT investigation?

Lastly, if you really want to know how Rahm operates, remember that the reporter that busted this whole story open was BANNED FROM A PUBLIC PRESS CONFERENCE INVOLVING THE MAYOR. Banned from the room! Lack of all credibility and accountability? I'd say so.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
No chance. City Hall knew about the murder and the tape the night it happened or the next day. I'm 100% convinced Rahm, McCarthey, Alvarez, et al. had a call or a meeting and discussed the best way to handle the whole situation given the election ramifications and obviously the PR ramifications. If the judge had never ordered the CPD to release the video, it never would have gotten out and chances of that cop getting charged are very low. 14 months to indict! 14! Some bulls*** "blame it on the Feds" excuse is just that, bulls***.

Let's also not forget about the "secret" CPD interrogation building. What's been the status of THAT investigation?

Lastly, if you really want to know how Rahm operates, remember that the reporter that busted this whole story open was BANNED FROM A PUBLIC PRESS CONFERENCE INVOLVING THE MAYOR. Banned from the room! Lack of all credibility and accountability? I'd say so.

I agree with this, and the reason I think this is real is I don't think the large group of people aware of this issue really thought they were doing anything wrong. An officer overreacted, but the guy had a knife, and its better this dies. The mayor's council urged the 5 million buyout. This was really painful for me to watch because it really just seems like we got the full whiff of what standard operating procedure is for the city. Protect the insiders, and damn whoever gets in the way.

I'm no fan of Rahm, but that's not exactly what happened. The guy who filed the FOIA request in the first place is an uncredentialled journalist (says a lot about the rest of the 'professional' Chicago journalists that didn't pursue this). When Rahm's press conference was announced, he and every other reporter in the city ran to city hall to get in. Space was limited, and reporters without the appropriate credentials weren't let in. I would be surprised if the guys working the doors would even know who this guy was from any other uncredentialled person. As far as they knew, this guy was no different from you or I trying to get into the overcrowded press conference.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
I'm no fan of Rahm, but that's not exactly what happened. The guy who filed the FOIA request in the first place is an uncredentialled journalist (says a lot about the rest of the 'professional' Chicago journalists that didn't pursue this). When Rahm's press conference was announced, he and every other reporter in the city ran to city hall to get in. Space was limited, and reporters without the appropriate credentials weren't let in. I would be surprised if the guys working the doors would even know who this guy was from any other uncredentialled person. As far as they knew, this guy was no different from you or I trying to get into the overcrowded press conference.

But everyone in that room (press side) knew he was being banned from the room. They were asking questions on his behalf. The bolded is also hard to believe. He filed a lawsuit that f***ed everyone in that room. They knew exactly who he was.

Even still, again, if you're going to be credible and accountable, why not invite the guy who started the whole thing into the room?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
There's allegedly video of the police tampering with the surveillance video from the Burger King, or at least using the system before 86 minutes mysteriously disappeared.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/cops-didnt...aquan-mcdonald/

I thought I read somewhere that some independent entity (FBI?) reviewed the situation and basically determined that BK's video system sucked and had a whole lot of missing video.

Alvarez claims there was a "forensic investigation" but she's not the most credible person right now, either. I'm not sure if any outside agency has looked at it. There's a several different ways that chunks of video could be missing, but it's hard to say without knowing the architecture that they're using and what video management system/DVR they have. Any half-way decent system should have detailed system audit logs available showing any time the system was accessed, settings were changed, video was deleted etc.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 06:17 PM)
There's allegedly video of the police tampering with the surveillance video from the Burger King, or at least using the system before 86 minutes mysteriously disappeared.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/cops-didnt...aquan-mcdonald/

And the manager of the BK testified to that fact for the Feds if I'm not mistaken.

I'm sure Rahm knew about the shooting, and was presented with a suggested settlement later. And the fact that he wanted to go for that without a real investigation, or ignoring that investigation, is also bad. Don't misunderstand me. Also I wasn't saying Rahm did well here, at all.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 08:36 PM)

You know, that's the first blog post/article I've read on this subject the last few years that's pretty level headed and reasonable. No "cops hate black people," no "cops are just evil killers," no pretending that cops don't have legit reasons to fire and fire quickly, etc. Just pointing out that cops keep inserting themselves into dangerous situations where shooting someone becomes the next seemingly reasonable step.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
You know, that's the first blog post/article I've read on this subject the last few years that's pretty level headed and reasonable. No "cops hate black people," no "cops are just evil killers," no pretending that cops don't have legit reasons to fire and fire quickly, etc. Just pointing out that cops keep inserting themselves into dangerous situations where shooting someone becomes the next seemingly reasonable step.

I think that's the key, in many of these cases, where the police officer(s) escalates a situation unnecessarily, and then in the end they are (in some cases) forced to shoot.

While it probably won't get this far (sadly), this does have the opportunity to bring everybody down -- Rahm, Alvarez, everybody. And how fantastic that would be.

Sadly, while the US Atty may not be in Rahm's pocket, he could be pressured by Rahm's former boss to hold off 13 months or so. I'd like to think that wouldn't happen, but politics.