Judge deciding whether to reveal police shooting video

southsider2k5

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
K, we're going to agree to disagree that a murder in Chicago is going to go all the way up to the President to cover it up just to save some poll numbers for Rahm Emmanuel.

I'm not saying they won't find ANYTHING. I bet their finding concludes some racial disparity in policing/arrests. But it's not going to be some damning report that implicates the mayor's office in any way, shape or form.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
I'm not saying they won't find ANYTHING. I bet their finding concludes some racial disparity in policing/arrests. But it's not going to be some damning report that implicates the mayor's office in any way, shape or form.

You would know as well as anyone, people in those positions vary in terms of how much they are willing to - in some cases even love to - break the machine down when they face it. Fitzgerald had no friends in his work, that's the way he approached it. I don't know if the people involved this time are the same.

There will be enough released to appease the community leaders and pin everything on the police way of doing things that Rahm will change going forward.

You are very naive if you think this will shine negatively on the mayor or alderman.

The mayor and alderman just threw out the self imposed watchdog who was trying to make changes and the media barely covered that story, to me that story shines a greater light on how poorly the city is run than the CPD.

Frankly, it doesn't matter. Police abuse existed before Rahm, it will happen after Rahm. This should be aimed at the CPD and creating reforms so that police officers that abuse their powers be removed. This issue of police accountability is not unique to Chicago. This is the help it needs to shine sunlight on it and move forward with real reform that will not be dependent on the mayor.

Not sure that's as egregious as some of the others, but still an unnecessary death. I'm not sure why that cop pulled his gun to begin with being in such close proximity to his partner. He created the fear that Aguilar will grab it during the tussle, which then "justifies" in his mind the need to shoot.

The other side of this, of course, is why the hell is this guy resisting so much. At some point people need to learn that cops are going to get the benefit of the doubt in that situation, so why go there? You're not going to win, and the worst case scenario is you creating a situation where the cop feels justified in shooting you out of fear.

Stupid all the way around IMO.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2015 -> 12:59 PM)
Not sure that's as egregious as some of the others, but still an unnecessary death. I'm not sure why that cop pulled his gun to begin with being in such close proximity to his partner. He created the fear that Aguilar will grab it during the tussle, which then "justifies" in his mind the need to shoot.

The other side of this, of course, is why the hell is this guy resisting so much. At some point people need to learn that cops are going to get the benefit of the doubt in that situation, so why go there? You're not going to win, and the worst case scenario is you creating a situation where the cop feels justified in shooting you out of fear.

Stupid all the way around IMO.

While I agree with your second paragraph, that's clear cut murder right there.

• 4 weeks later...

Video of a shooting of another fleeing unarmed black teen by the CPD from 3 years ago released recently.

They show Chatman jumping out of a car that was reported stolen, running across the street and squeezing between two parked cars as Fry's partner, Officer Lou Toth, gives chase. Chatman then hits an all-out sprint along the sidewalk toward an intersection. Toth sprints behind him.

Fry draws his Sig Sauer .45-caliber handgun in the middle of the street, plants his feet near the intersection and opens fire as Chatman appears to still be running away. A wounded, unarmed Chatman lies in the street as Toth handcuffs him and places his right boot on top of him. The whole event takes about 10 seconds.

Fry told investigators he feared for his partner's life and fired four shots, saying Chatman made a slight turn toward him and had an object in his hand that he believed to be a gun.

It turned out the object was a black iPhone box.

In ordering the videos' release on Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge Robert Gettleman indicated Fry might have put his partner's life in danger, saying Toth was running so close to the teen when shots rang out "you might say he was in the line of fire."

The videos also show two bystanders on the sidewalk near the intersection, just steps away when gunshots ring out and Chatman crumples to the ground. The two then sprint away from the direction of the gunfire.

The original independent police investigator wanted to rule the shooting unjustified, saying the teen fled from Fry and Toth without posing a threat. That investigator, Lorenzo Davis, said he was fired when he refused to change his findings to a justified shooting.

A new investigator was assigned and ruled the shooting justified.