It would be silly for the White Sox to rebuild

whitesoxjr27

It was about 11 months ago that the Chicago White Sox were the American League darlings of the offseason. The San Diego Padres had the Most Improved Award locked up for the National League, but the White Sox nabbed Melky Cabrera, David Robertson, Adam LaRoche and Jeff Samardzija. What an offseason! If you want to spend the next 15 minutes going through a Twitter search of "Padres White Sox World Series," be my guest. I just did, and I recommend it.

The Padres and White Sox did not face each other in the 2015 World Series.

We haven't heard from the Padres yet this offseason, but we know at the trade deadline they were holding onto assets rather than dealing them. In his first offseason, Padres general manager A.J. Preller was unfathomably aggressive. He could do it again. He could be six times more aggressive, which I think would involve some sort of military coup. He could be half as aggressive and still be more aggressive than anyone in the National League.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/12/9724032...ding-chris-sale

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)

They aren't rebuilding but they aren't going nuts in free agency. It just means they will make some trades and make some smaller signings. They were never going to dip into the market for free agents with draft compensation attached because it doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
They have to win though. They loaded up last year and sucked and nobody went.

The moves they made did translate somewhat to the gate numbers though. They drew 100,000 more than they did in 2014. While that might not seem like a lot, it was the first year since 2006 that they actually had an increase in attendance. They had dropped an average of 167,000 per year since the peak in 2006. The fans want to come and making moves help, but bottom line like you said, they have to win.

If there was ever a time to rebuild, it is now... The casual (fair weather) fans are all focused on the north side, and the Royals are going to control the division for the next couple years anyways. The team is going to have poor attendance no matter what. Plus, the assets we have at the MLB level could immediately give the Sox one of the top farm systems in baseball.

As a fan, I would rather watch a rebuild than last years group with a little lipstick slapped on it.

QUOTE (Whitey @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 02:31 AM)
If there was ever a time to rebuild, it is now... The casual (fair weather) fans are all focused on the north side, and the Royals are going to control the division for the next couple years anyways. The team is going to have poor attendance no matter what. Plus, the assets we have at the MLB level could immediately give the Sox one of the top farm systems in baseball.

As a fan, I would rather watch a rebuild than last years group with a little lipstick slapped on it.

There is zero reason for them to do a complete rebuild. They have Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Abreu and Eaton all locked up through 2019. That is one hell of a strong core and they should be able to fill in enough pieces to make a contender out of it.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 07:48 AM)
There is zero reason for them to do a complete rebuild. They have Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Abreu and Eaton all locked up through 2019. That is one hell of a strong core and they should be able to fill in enough pieces to make a contender out of it.

You had that same core last season and it was a terrible season. So the question remains how to "fill in enough pieces" without trading at least 1 member of the core.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 07:46 AM)
If people don't want to go watch Sale, Q, and Rodon pitch then that's their prerogative. I'll be out there 15+ times to see those guys though.

I'd rather see a winning team.

The Sox don't need to tear it down from here - haven't they been rebuilding for the last 3 years anyway? Trading Sale or Q or Eaton is not tearing it down. The Cubs fans didn't freak when they dumped Shark (even when they were light on pitching) instead of paying him what he wanted - they got better. Sometimes you have to take sidesteps.

I think they are fully capable of having this ready by 2017. But not by trading our good young players for a Todd Frazier or the like. That will sentence the Sox to 78 win prison.

And get solid on defense.

If you want a star, sign Upton or someone. An OF of Upton-Trayce-Eaton or Upton-Trayce-Avi/Melky is decidedly better in all aspects than what we saw in 2015.

Get the pen to be good instead of average. Internal options should be able to help here. Montas could be a force, even if the end game is for him to start. The value of top relievers, closer or not, has gone up in the last few years.

Edited by GreenSox

I see no reason we can't be competitive again by 2017 with the right moves made, it's not like we were as bad as the Phillies this year. A full rebuild means punting on the next 4-5 seasons with no guarantee we'll be any better off, no thanks. The threat of the Royals is way overstated, they're losing a lot this offseason, their starting pitching still sucks, and Holland is hurt all of next year.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
I see no reason we can't be competitive again by 2017 with the right moves made, it's not like we were as bad as the Phillies this year. A full rebuild means punting on the next 4-5 seasons with no guarantee we'll be any better off, no thanks. The threat of the Royals is way overstated, they're losing a lot this offseason, their starting pitching still sucks, and Holland is hurt all of next year.

The Royals are overstated, yet the Twins and Indians are understated. Those three positions may switch. We're exactly in the same spot above the Tigers.

And yes, i'll give the standard disclaimer of the offseason has just begun and there's going to be roster changes. I'm of the position that until Hahn proves otherwise, my expectations aren't changing from the end of 2015.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)

For some reason all teams in the Central have flaws, but ours seem to cost us from even flnishing .500. I don't get it much. Right now our weaknesses are defense, team speed, middle relief and setup relief, power hitting, on base percentage. Strenghts: Starting pitching, maybe the closer. Chances are a year of familiarity for Melky and LaRoche and Duke won't change these weaknesses.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)

Except a White Sox rebuild would not have to involve 4-5 years of tanking... We are already 3 years into stinking and getting top 10 picks, and the value of the players at MLB level could get huge returns.