Terrorist attack in Paris

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
The TSA is definitely a problem. There are many lines of work out there that won't let gross incompetence and general ineptitude stop you from having a long and successful career; the TSA should not be one of them in this day and age. But we're in for a hell of a time if any dumb b**** can turn a plane around because all the tarrists are playing Angry Birds on their iPhones.

Again, you say this like it happens all the time but it doesn't. You're also basing this "crazy racist women pissing her pants in fear of non-white person breathing" stance on one news report that got one quote from the woman. She told the flight attendant who also made the decision to talk to the captain, who also made the decision to go back to the gate. I suspect something more than just watching something on a phone was happening since the flight attendant took action and they took multiple people off the plane, including a guy that wasn't with or related to the others.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you see something, say something" shouldn't need to come with an asterisk of "a middle eastern guy watching the news on his phone isn't 'something'." Terrorism is effective when it inspires hysteria and panic, especially when said panic drives policy changes. That's really its whole point. Reporting someone for watching the news on their phone isn't being aware of your surroundings and it's not being safe rather than sorry-it's being irrationally afraid.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
Again, you say this like it happens all the time but it doesn't. You're also basing this "crazy racist women pissing her pants in fear of non-white person breathing" stance on one news report that got one quote from the woman. She told the flight attendant who also made the decision to talk to the captain, who also made the decision to go back to the gate. I suspect something more than just watching something on a phone was happening since the flight attendant took action and they took multiple people off the plane, including a guy that wasn't with or related to the others.

I don't have it handy, and I'll come back and edit this post with the links in a bit when I do- it takes very little to get removed from a flight. In many instances, it's a choice the captain will make to pacify the complainant.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
So basically the "if you see something, say something" mantra is a bunch of nonsense and we shouldn't do anything.

This mantra is terrible. All it does is make it easier to bend to the will of a security state, which is far more damaging than any perceived terrorist threat.

And the incompetence and hypocrisy displayed in this thread, and by the governors of the numerous states claiming they'll ban Syrian refugees. The harm caused by treating all Syrians, or all Muslims, as a suspect class is greater than that caused by admitting the refugees. These views are absurd and would be laughable, save for the very real policy changes they effect.

bmags said it well somewhere earlier in this thread, no one seems to understand the total hypocrisy that we're just being dicks to the rest of the world and when the trouble comes to call we just padlock our doors and yell "Sorry, not home! You take care of this one!"

It's not like this is new, today it's Muslims and 30 years ago it was Communists. Time and time again these isolationist scare tactic policies prove their failures, but we never learn.

Alleged Paris Attack Mastermind Abdelhamid Abbaoud Confirmed Dead by French Officials

The alleged mastermind of last week's deadly Paris attacks was killed Wednesday during a raid carried out by French police, the Paris prosecutor confirmed today.

Abdelhamid Abaaoud was identified by his fingerprints collected at the scene in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis. His body was found "riddled with impacts,” according to the prosecutor's statement.

French President Francois Hollande Welcomes Refugees Despite Paris Attack

“France should remain as it is. Our duty is to carry on our lives.”

In the same spirit, he added, “30,000 refugees will be welcomed over the next two years. Our country has the duty to respect this commitment,” explaining that they will undergo vigorous security checks.

Hollande noted that “some people say the tragic events of the last few days have sown doubts in their minds,” but called it a “humanitarian duty” to help those people … but one that will go hand in hand with “our duty to protect our people.”

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
I wonder how long you'd appreciate that "extra citizen-response" if you were the one being dragged off of your flight for questioning because you were watching the news on your phone.

The best course of action is to stop the collective pants-wetting. Having a plane brought back to the gate because someone was watching TV while being brown is not "being overly cautious," it's being hysterically paranoid.

They werent dragged off, they were asked to step off and they did. I would be more angry if I was on the plane and it was late for any reason.

So, when I said best possible scenario I had seen a tv that said 3 dead, now it's at 21. A lot worse than I thought previously.

"The assault began about 7 a.m., when two or three attackers with AK-47 rifles exited at least one vehicle with diplomatic plates and entered the hotel with guns firing, Salgado said."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/africa/mali-shooting/

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Not really sure it matters, but I wonder if this was a long term planned attack or Al Qaeda worried that ISIS is getting too much of attention of late.

Pretty small scale if they had this planned for a while. Although i wouldnt doubt it is a "look at me look at me!" attack

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
What exactly is the purpose of Al Qaeda carrying out a terrorist attack in a country that is 90% Muslim?

Well I'd imagine most of the hotel guests were not Muslims. And there was a report stating they released a few hostages if they were able to recite verses from the Koran.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 20, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
What exactly is the purpose of Al Qaeda carrying out a terrorist attack in a country that is 90% Muslim?

Mali has a secular government. So they fight with the government.

I think the north part of the country is not under government control.