Jeff Samardjiza signs with SF Giants, 5/90.

southsider2k5

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Any idea on what can be available at that time? Sox really need to hit on those picks and hopefully they are hitters. Last hitter they've developed internally has been who? Carlos Lee??

Crede. Isn't next season's draft supposed to be pitcher-heavy? Seems likely that the BPA will be a pitcher again.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
Any idea on what can be available at that time? Sox really need to hit on those picks and hopefully they are hitters. Last hitter they've developed internally has been who? Carlos Lee??

i like some hitters that will be projected to be in the draft. they, the sox can go any route.

after the top 3 fav pitcher, there is 2 really good pitcher who got hurt, unknown factor for the fans, 1 college pitcher is lights out but he will not face any comp, and another interesting pitcher ...

it is or will be fun to watch all of them next ncaa season.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
Crazy to think that in a year with crazy salaries being tossed around, one of the best pitchers in the game signs a 5 year deal for only $90 million

Bit of a stretch, no? Sharks a pretty solid pitcher, but not one of the best.

I used to be in the camp of the sox needing to draft hitters, but after seeing what free agent pitchers are getting, I say draft pitchers every time.

If shark is worth $16 AAV in this market, what's sale, Quintana and Rodon worth? When these guys hit free agency there's no way the sox will pay up. Gotta have the backup of arms to replace them.

Shoot the 3 of them may not make $16 mil total next year

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
It wouldn't shock me if Shark bounced back but I'd still like to see him have one season where he's good in the 2nd half of the season. That's alot of dough for a guy who's traditionally only decent pre all star break.

The way I look at it is maybe he has one good year or two good years. How anyone can conclude looking at his career he will be really good for most of this contract is really reaching IMO.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)

Just remember though, on a normal schedule it'll be 2-4 years before any of those picks other than the top 10 will be pushing the big leagues and maybe 5 years before they're really turning into anything useful...unless your goal is to trade them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
The way I look at it is maybe he has one good year or two good years. How anyone can conclude looking at his career he will be really good for most of this contract is really reaching IMO.

An organization named the White Sox didn't agree with you in the last off season. The Sox like to throw money at veteran NL talent that can't play in the AL.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
An organization named the White Sox didn't agree with you in the last off season. The Sox like to throw money at veteran NL talent that can't play in the AL.

The way they've got to look at it is...in the first 1-2 years can he put them over the top? If you're playing the FA market that's the only plausible way you can look at a contract, you have to be willing to be stuck with 2-3 bad years in exchange for 1-2 contributing years. If you don't have a roster that is 1 player away, then stop playing the FA market because you're going to lose.

Are they 1 player away? They won it in 2014, so it at least makes sense that they could think that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
Playing in SF will help a whole lot if he can't get his K-rate back up because he'll give up hits but they won't leave the park.

It'll be interesting to see where his location is next season.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 05:26 PM)
It'll be interesting to see where his location is next season.

Something interesting about him - 3 of the past 4 seasons he's been worth exactly 2.7 fWAR. Only season he was worth any other number was 2014. If you just look at that, you think that's about what he might produce.

But, in each of those same 4 seasons, Baseball-Reference's WAR has shown him underproducing fWAR by somewhere between 1 and 2.5 WAR. In other words, it's like UZR always blames the defense behind him and says he's doing fine, while DRS says he's doing much worse and blames him for the runs he gives up.

But, outside of his time in Oakland, that's always been spent in parks you might call "Hitters parks", at least under the right wind conditions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
Something interesting about him - 3 of the past 4 seasons he's been worth exactly 2.7 fWAR. Only season he was worth any other number was 2014. If you just look at that, you think that's about what he might produce.

But, in each of those same 4 seasons, Baseball-Reference's WAR has shown him underproducing fWAR by somewhere between 1 and 2.5 WAR. In other words, it's like UZR always blames the defense behind him and says he's doing fine, while DRS says he's doing much worse and blames him for the runs he gives up.

But, outside of his time in Oakland, that's always been spent in parks you might call "Hitters parks", at least under the right wind conditions.

That's actually very interesting. A conflict of stats on a players overall value. Fangraphs in their latest article mentions this just a tiny bit

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/giants-inve...-dave-righetti/

I think it's easy to point to the defense and go that's the main culprit. But there was so much going wrong at once that it couldnt possibly be the only answer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
When Samardzija really sucked, right after the All Star break, that had zero to do with bad defense.

I'm going to steal this Allen because it's a really good point that's often missed. It's way easier to blame the Sox defense for his troubles than delving deeper into the overall issue.

This proves by the way Hahn blew it last year a month before the trade deadline. Shark obviously has value and we could have gotten some talent for him, despite the fact I think he blows. Obviously there are teams out there that think Shark is worth five years and TOP dollar.