Jae-gyun Hwang

justBLAZE

When Saladino and Dan Black were teammates in Charlotte, Black hit for a slightly better HR rate. In about a 1/3 of a Korean League season this year, Black hit 12 homers and had a .333/.413/.576 split. Dan f***ing Black. Maybe this guy is good, but I wouldn't count on it.

This is all on the scouts.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 10:05 PM)
When Saladino and Dan Black were teammates in Charlotte, Black hit for a slightly better HR rate. In about a 1/3 of a Korean League season this year, Black hit 12 homers and had a .333/.413/.576 split. Dan f***ing Black. Maybe this guy is good, but I wouldn't count on it.

all i will say is do not over spend on his bid. too much question marks.

QUOTE (Special K @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
This guy looks like a x1,000 times better than saladino.

How? Why? What are you talking about? Based on a youtube highlight reel? We can be certain he's not as good as Saladino defensively. I bet Saladino's highlight reel from when he put up an .850 OPS at AAA last year looks pretty great too. Has anyone suggested the KBO is as good as AAA here?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)

Exactly. May as well put in a tiny bid on him but nothing suggests he's as good as Tyler Saladino.

Kang made a successful transition from KBO not only because he hit 40 home runs with a 1.200 OPS over there, he also plays shortstop/ brings a shortstop's defensive talent to 3rd base.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 27, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
This dude looks better than Hwang to me. Free agent, no posting fee.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2...buhiro-matsuda/

We talked about him in some other thread and I was even looking for it because I couldn't remember his name but I couldn't find it to bring his name back up for this Hwang thread. Thanks for bringing him back to the forefront. Hope he's talking to more than just the Padres.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 28, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
No idea how well his offense will translate, but defense is pretty much defense.

And that's some real real solid glovework there.

I could make a YouTube video of Avi Garcia playing the outfield, and if you had never seen him play and only saw video, you would think he was a gold glove quality OF.

I will give you this guy has a reputation of being good with the glove.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
I could make a YouTube video of Avi Garcia playing the outfield, and if you had never seen him play and only saw video, you would think he was a gold glove quality OF.

I will give you this guy has a reputation of being good with the glove.

I also don't think he hits a HR nearly every PA simply because his highlight videos shows that happening. I was speaking to the video, and the video has some really fantastic plays at 3B.

I like Hwang's defense, that's for sure. This would be a good move for a few reasons.

1- Hwang's defense

2- he won't cost a pick to sign

3- he won't cost prospects or young MLB talent.

4- Sox can then use prospects and/or talent ( Avi/Micah/Sanchez/EJ/Saladino, Montas) to find a SS and or OF.

There's risk involved but let's face it, the Sox are in a position where they must take a few risks.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 01:10 AM)
I like Hwang's defense, that's for sure. This would be a good move for a few reasons.

1- Hwang's defense

2- he won't cost a pick to sign

3- he won't cost prospects or young MLB talent.

4- Sox can then use prospects and/or talent ( Avi/Micah/Sanchez/EJ/Saladino, Montas) to find a SS and or OF.

There's risk involved but let's face it, the Sox are in a position where they must take a few risks.

i agree they are in no position to select one player and assume that he will succeed, they need to cast a wide net and bring in many as they can of players at least to continue with this elusive 3 yr plan the FO has step up.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
i agree they are in no position to select one player and assume that he will succeed, they need to cast a wide net and bring in many as they can of players at least to continue with this elusive 3 yr plan the FO has step up.

I think they will continue searching for talent. Let's say the Sox win the bid and sign Hwang, they can still trade for a guy like Lawrie and/or even your favorite... CarGo! :P

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:22 AM)
I think they will continue searching for talent. Let's say the Sox win the bid and sign Hwang, they can still trade for a guy like Lawrie and/or even your favorite... CarGo! :P

and they should, but they won't. it is not like them to do that. remember the signing and all the pr flak on Felipe Paulino and that he is the real thing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
and they should, but they won't. it is not like them to do that. remember the signing and all the pr flak on Felipe Paulino and that he is the real thing.

I just posted this in another thread but the Sox spent pretty big last year so while there were some duds in '15 it does show the Sox are trying. Paulino's hype was built around his stuff and upside but we all knew there was risk with him coming off of surgery. It's not like Paulino cost the Sox big money. He was the typical low risk high reward type of signing, unfortunately the high reward part didn't come to fruition.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:43 AM)
I just posted this in another thread but the Sox spent pretty big last year so while there were some duds in '15 it does show the Sox are trying. Paulino's hype was built around his stuff and upside but we all knew there was risk with him coming off of surgery. It's not like Paulino cost the Sox big money. He was the typical low risk high reward type of signing, unfortunately the high reward part didn't come to fruition.

it cost the sox 2 mil.... to have a fake injury.

but my point is that was all they spent. they should have had another sp as in emergency, and they didn't. just spend enuf and call it a day.

same thing with hector last yr, conor last yr. just the bare minimum, instead of a couple and let them compete against each other.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
it cost the sox 2 mil.... to have a fake injury.

but my point is that was all they spent. they should have had another sp as in emergency, and they didn't. just spend enuf and call it a day.

same thing with hector last yr, conor last yr. just the bare minimum, instead of a couple and let them compete against each other.

I see what you mean with Noesi but Gillaspie played well enough in '14 for the Sox to roll with him plus he is left handed. Also, I think the SOX got caught with their pants down waiting/hoping/praying that Davidson would come around. We all know the story there, lol.

I agree about options and I honestly think that even if the Sox were to sign Hwang they would still look to get Lawrie since he can play 3B/2B and won't cost much as far as salary or trade chips are concerned.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
jae-gwun hwang, 3b, has been posted by the lotte giants. 2 GMs opined that he is not a starting calibre player.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status/671515045856206849

Unfortunately his stats are nothing special in Korea:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register...amp;id=dffe1d5e