STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

Get to watch the movie Wednesday night for work (projectionist). A rep from Disney is going to audit me watching the movie, so it should be an awkward time. I'm excited.

I'm seeing it on Friday morning at 1:30 and then my partner and I are seeing it on Monday for my birthday.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)

I liked that review. Terrible title. But what I get from it is this movie gets away from things like entire planets being blown to bits as a shallow plot device and instead to the brutality that would spawn such a longstanding resistance. This is a war movie. The others are adventure movies.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
I liked that review. Terrible title. But what I get from it is this movie gets away from things like entire planets being blown to bits as a shallow plot device and instead to the brutality that would spawn such a longstanding resistance. This is a war movie. The others are adventure movies.

Yeah, I agree, it was actually a good review. But the title is just begging to be mocked.

Rouge One is pretty good, one of my favorite Star Wars films.

After watching and thinking about it, it really makes a ANH a better movie and the actions in that film more important. A lot of stuff from the cartoons, books, and comics are mentioned.

I had to watch it twice but I couldn't point of any of the reshot scenes. And the CGI characters were really done well. Some scenes dragged on and some dialogue fell flat. The movie is slow to start but it really picks up after the mid way point.

ESB

TFA

ANH

R1

ROTS

ROTJ

PM

AOTC

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
On the other hand, dark and gritty sounds fun but it really is weird to have a star wars film that my nieces and nephews can't see even though we have bought them lego sets for it.

It's not that dark or gritty, I would take my kid to see it but you should check it out first.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 06:04 AM)
It's not that dark or gritty, I would take my kid to see it but you should check it out first.

I agree. It definitely has a war feel to it and its more gritty than the other Star Wars films but there is nothing worse in this than seeing beloved characters get killed off or ROTS. I saw it with my cousin's kids who are 10 and 12 yesterday and they both loved it. I'm sure there might be some kids where a couple scenes might be too intense but I think that will be the exception to the rule.

I came in really expecting the worst, especially after TFA set it sights so low.

I was totally wrong. Its at least the best one since Empire Strikes Back. Everything with it works, it connects very well to A New Hope and man...we've been waiting for it since Return of the Jedi and finally Disney went and gave it to us. Finally gives Star Wars a valid reason to have the pedestal atop the American pop culture world that its been enjoying despite nothing but average (Return of the Jedi), mediocre (The Force Awakens) and downright awful (prequels) output for the last 30 years.

That said, the ending is possibly the worst in cinematic history. Seriously, it so bad I think they did it on purpose to get people buzzing about it.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
I came in really expecting the worst, especially after TFA set it sights so low.

I was totally wrong. Its at least the best one since Empire Strikes Back. Everything with it works, it connects very well to A New Hope and man...we've been waiting for it since Return of the Jedi and finally Disney went and gave it to us. Finally gives Star Wars a valid reason to have the pedestal atop the American pop culture world that its been enjoying despite nothing but average (Return of the Jedi), mediocre (The Force Awakens) and downright awful (prequels) output for the last 30 years.

That said, the ending is possibly the worst in cinematic history. Seriously, it so bad I think they did it on purpose to get people buzzing about it.

I've only heard people raving about the ending.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
The ending of the story is great. The last 3rd of the movie is great.

But at the very end, right before the credits, they do something incomprehensible. You'll know when you see it.

CGI Leia? I didn't think it was THAT bad.

It wasn't as bad as the Grand Moff Tarkin monstrosities, but she still looked kind of like a nightmare. Its worse because they did to Leia too. I really dont find these CGI renderings necessary, just cast a strong doppleganger and let Hollywood makeup people do the rest. It doesn't have to be perfect people will get it, a ghastly computer drawn Leia is actaully scary.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)

It wasn't as bad as the Grand Moff Tarkin monstrosities, but she still looked kind of like a nightmare. Its worse because they did to Leia too. I really dont find these CGI renderings necessary, just cast a strong doppleganger and let Hollywood makeup people do the rest. It doesn't have to be perfect people will get it, a ghastly computer drawn Leia is actaully scary.

Agreed on Tarkin, but I thought Leia was actually pretty well done, to the levels of RDJ in Civil War or Michael Douglas in Ant-Man.

But yeah, Tarkin was way too much uncanny valley.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)

Tarkin was CGI the entire movie. I'm not sure why people have a problem with it. I'm kind of surprised we aren't at a point where CGI is better, but who cares? The version that's remastered that my daughter will be watching in 10 years will likely be more realistic.

The movie was amazing.

Edited by Steve9347