STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

I just think they did more than borrow. It was like watching the same movie again- there's always a big destroyer thingy, it's always destroyed by a little flaw in its build, they always build up to the destruction of it in the same way, etc. I know "half the planet" thinks they're similar, but my opinion is unpopular because I think they're so similar to the point where TFA is not even a good movie.

Edited by Jose Abreu

I honestly don't care if it was intentional or not. I left TFA liking it but thinking ending on a cliff hanger was a scary sign of serialization that made me nervous.

But then I rewatched it a few times and realized the only thing it had going for it was nostalgia. It was just so concerned with getting from point a to point b, there was no scenes that glue it together until they arrive on the death star.

ANd the cantina, man was that brutal. Even Rogue One, the movie isn't a movie until the last 30 minutes. It did not hold up at all.

They really need to work on letting scenes have a purpose beyond advancing the plot. Because once you know where it goes, it lacks the fun of just living in this expansive world the way the first 3 were.

I thought both were pretty terrible. Rogue One you can forgive a little since it's a one-off and it's telling a very small portion of the overall story. TFA just sucked. It was the same movie as ANH with new characters and some throw-backs to appease fans. Rey is fine but there's no depth there. And she's the deus ex machina of the Star Wars universe (the reboot portion anyway) - oh, you can pilot anything and everything and repair complex space travel engines because you scavenge parts of crashed ships? OK.

I think my bigger problem is that these new movies aren't really a continuation of the old story. It's a new trilogy with some of the old characters around as fan service. That's a mistake IMO. They're going to try to piece together what happened to Luke, Leah and Han, while also telling this new (same) story about a small number of rebels defeating a large evil empire. Why not just jump right in, show a backstory for Snoke and explain why he picked up the pieces to create the First Order? Explain why Luke has to run away and not tell anyone where he's going. THEN jump into this new trilogy.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
I just think they did more than borrow. It was like watching the same movie again- there's always a big destroyer thingy, it's always destroyed by a little flaw in its build, they always build up to the destruction of it in the same way, etc. I know "half the planet" thinks they're similar, but my opinion is unpopular because I think they're so similar to the point where TFA is not even a good movie.

I think the opinion that it's not a good movie is the unpopular one.

From Wiki:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens grossed $936.7 million in the United States and Canada, and $1.132 billion in other countries for a worldwide total of $2.068 billion. Box Office Mojo estimates that the film sold close to 110 million tickets in North America,[294] the most tickets sold by any film in North America since Titanic in 1997. The Force Awakens earned 8.6% of the total 2015 releases in North America, second only to the 8.8% of the box office earned by Titanic in 1997. The film is the highest-grossing film of 2015, the highest-grossing film in the franchise (surpassing The Phantom Menace), the highest-grossing film released by Walt Disney Studios, the highest-grossing film in North America (dethroning Avatar), and the third-highest-grossing film of all time

Star Wars: The Force Awakens received overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics. On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 92% approval rating based on 370 reviews, with a rating average of 8.2/10. The website's critical consensus reads "Packed with action and populated by both familiar faces and fresh blood, The Force Awakens successfully recalls the series' former glory while injecting it with renewed energy."[365] On Metacritic, the film has a score of 81 out of 100, based on 54 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".[366] Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale; women, under-25s and under-18s gave it an "A+", while 98% of audiences gave it either an "A" or a "B".

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
I thought both were pretty terrible. Rogue One you can forgive a little since it's a one-off and it's telling a very small portion of the overall story. TFA just sucked. It was the same movie as ANH with new characters and some throw-backs to appease fans. Rey is fine but there's no depth there. And she's the deux ex machina of the Star Wars universe (the reboot portion anyway) - oh, you can pilot anything and everything and repair complex space travel engines because you scavenge parts of crashed ships? OK.

I think my bigger problem is that these new movies aren't really a continuation of the old story. It's a new trilogy with some of the old characters around as fan service. That's a mistake IMO. They're going to try to piece together what happened to Luke, Leah and Han, while also telling this new (same) story about a small number of rebels defeating a large evil empire. Why not just jump right in, show a backstory for Snoke and explain why he picked up the pieces to create the First Order? Explain why Luke has to run away and not tell anyone where he's going. THEN jump into this new trilogy.

They have said this is the conclusion of the Skywalker saga. It's not fan service, it's the story

I love Star Wars, but those movies aren't and never were amazingly written movies. They sucked us into the story as kids and now we are finishing what was started, and hopefully they can leap off into a new saga afterwards. TFA was very similar to ANH, this is true, but I still felt that nostalgia and enjoyed it for what it was

I just want a star wars move that every time its on I'll sit and watch no matter what point it is just because I love the scenes and characters so much. I actually left thinking TFA was that, only to rewatch and it and just being super super bored.

Like, I'll watch edge of tomorrow literally every time its on. I wanted that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
I just want a star wars move that every time its on I'll sit and watch no matter what point it is just because I love the scenes and characters so much. I actually left thinking TFA was that, only to rewatch and it and just being super super bored.

I felt the same way.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
I haven't rewatched TFA, but Netflix has Rogue One and was rewatching that a few weeks back. I forgot how boring the first half of that movie was, or at least when rewatching it. But man, that last 30-45 minutes of it was still incredible.

My sentiments exactly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)

This x1000, criminally underrated, one of the best action movies in recent memory, I don't tend to re-watch movies especially those released recently but Edge of Tomorrow, In Bruges and Nightcrawler I can watch anytime.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
Surprised this wasn’t posted already

“This is not going to go... the way you think.”

I don’t know what to think. (misdirection?) This looks like it could be really good.

I don't like how much of actual plot they appeared to show. I still worry this is an empire strikes back remake.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
I don't like how much of actual plot they appeared to show. I still worry this is an empire strikes back remake.

IGN seems very convinced that entire trailer was meant to misdirect, as they would other wise give away WAY to many major scenes, like Kylo killing Leia, and Kylo and Rey making nice.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 10, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
IGN seems very convinced that entire trailer was meant to misdirect, as they would other wise give away WAY to many major scenes, like Kylo killing Leia, and Kylo and Rey making nice.

Yeah, I think its pretty obvious they are splicing scenes together.

IE Rey is likely talking to Luke about "her place" not Kylo.

That being said they are definitely setting Rey up to be an extremely powerful force user. I believe that the "quake" will be the first weve seen in the movies, but it has been in video games etc.