STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

7 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Possible spoilers below.

Who was the girl who showed up at the end?  Am I supposed to know who she is?  I've seen all the movies but have no knowledge of books or cartoons.

Wasn't Darth Maul killed when Anakin was a child?  How was he still alive?

The Star Wars cartoon revived him, not sure if they way he was revived will be canon though

Just now, Tony said:

Ah, gotcha. 

No, I don't think she was someone we are supposed to know from other movies or cannon. The surprise obviously for some was that the leader of this crime syndicate was female and rather young, but not a previous character. 

This is what I was asking earlier as well. I couldn't figure out who she was supposed to be in the later movies, but I guess she isn't anyone prominent later on. Or maybe we get another anthology movie in between and they show what becomes of her.

46 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ah, gotcha. 

No, I don't think she was someone we are supposed to know from other movies or cannon. The surprise obviously for some was that the leader of this crime syndicate was female and rather young, but not a previous character. 

I did think it was cool that basically the entire Kessell Run ended up funding the start of the Rebel Alliance. 

OK, the way she told talked about her mother, I thought maybe she was somebody significant.  Thanks.

In the process of watching all movies 1-8 with my girlfriend, who has only seen Rogue One. Watching the prequels, after having seen TLJ, gives me a new, weird appreciation for them. I've always loved episode 3 but 1 and 2 weren't as bad as I remembered, perhaps because of how I felt about TLJ

7 hours ago, Tony said:

What does she think? I didn't feel right even exposing the lady to 1 and 2. We watched Episode 3 as I thought it provided some decent background to things, but that's about it. The only redeeming qualities for both 1 and 2 for me were the villains. Maul, Jango and Dooku were all fun characters. Other than that....yikes. 

We've only watched 1 and 2 so far. She surprisingly wasn't too impressed by Maul, but she at least liked the end battle in AOTC between Dooku and Yoda/Anakin/Ob-Wan. Overall she doesn't like it so far but I don't blame her, and I've been assuring her that she made it through the worst of it 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

We've only watched 1 and 2 so far. She surprisingly wasn't too impressed by Maul, but she at least liked the end battle in AOTC between Dooku and Yoda/Anakin/Ob-Wan. Overall she doesn't like it so far but I don't blame her, and I've been assuring her that she made it through the worst of it 

I took my girlfriend through the entire journey recently as well, and just for curiosity we watched them in Chronological order, not release order. But I didn't want to make her watch Episodes 1, 2 and 3 and ruin her taste of the series. So we found some 10-minute recap videos of each to explain the backstories. It has left her a little fuzzy about certain things, but it saved about 8 hours of keeping her interest.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-rumored-consulting-george-lucas-star-wars-episode-ix-script/

Rumor Lucas is going to help with the last one. I have a feeling no matter how bad it is, its going to do well at the box office because its the end of that era of movies. 

Good. I want to see force ghost Anakin

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-rumored-consulting-george-lucas-star-wars-episode-ix-script/

Rumor Lucas is going to help with the last one. I have a feeling no matter how bad it is, its going to do well at the box office because its the end of that era of movies. 

Cast was announced today too.  Mark Hamill returning and they are going to use unused footage of Carrie Fisher.  Not sure how that will work but will be interesting to see.

23 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

I don't know. It's only a domestic franchise and, according to RT, most fans hated The Last Jedi. I think Solo was a failure because those people boycotted. Episode IX will only do really well if the word of mouth is good. It won't bomb, but the franchise has lost a lot of steam. 

On 7/28/2018 at 3:11 PM, TaylorStSox said:

I don't know. It's only a domestic franchise and, according to RT, most fans hated The Last Jedi. I think Solo was a failure because those people boycotted. Episode IX will only do really well if the word of mouth is good. It won't bomb, but the franchise has lost a lot of steam. 

Guess its depends on how you define "really do well."

Last Jedi brought in over 1,3bil, with 600mil in domestic gross. 

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/movies/the-biggest-box-office-hits-of-all-time-1.5369007

That is good enough for 11 right now (I dont think thats counting inflation.)

Historically #2 in the series has brought in the least (including Empire which many consider the "best" of the films) amount of money.

I just cant imagine the last film wont break 1bil. 

6 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Guess its depends on how you define "really do well."

Last Jedi brought in over 1,3bil, with 600mil in domestic gross. 

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/movies/the-biggest-box-office-hits-of-all-time-1.5369007

That is good enough for 11 right now (I dont think thats counting inflation.)

Historically #2 in the series has brought in the least (including Empire which many consider the "best" of the films) amount of money.

I just cant imagine the last film wont break 1bil. 

It dead well, but it's already aged poorly and the resentment towards it grows everyday. It had to influence Solo bombing. I'm not sure how much longer they can milk the franchise. 

I’m only a casual Star Wars fan so I have no interest in a Bobo Fett movie. Never understood the popularity since it was such a minor character.

Still haven’t seen Solo and not sure I will. Hopefully JJ can do what he did with ep 7 an get fans back on board for whatever comes after.

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

It dead well, but it's already aged poorly and the resentment towards it grows everyday. It had to influence Solo bombing. I'm not sure how much longer they can milk the franchise. 

5 hours ago, Brian said:

I’m only a casual Star Wars fan so I have no interest in a Bobo Fett movie. Never understood the popularity since it was such a minor character.

Still haven’t seen Solo and not sure I will. Hopefully JJ can do what he did with ep 7 an get fans back on board for whatever comes after.

In 2009, the Star Trek series was basically on life support, and they brought it back by literally saying "We're going to go make a good movie first". They gave a few throwbacks to the fans like me, but the priority was "Make a good movie". I don't think anyone would say that has been the priority for any of the last 2 star wars movies, maybe any of the last 4. The closest was probably Rogue One, because they had to introduce entirely new characters top to bottom; TFA and TLJ and Solo were all nostalgia fests that had to be moved away from telling interesting stories to telling stories that were accessible to the largest market possible.

That studio has a choice; keep putting out bland, unnecessary action movies, or actually go tell an interesting and unexpected story. There's hints from the director changes and studio related reshoots that both Rogue One and Solo were moved more into the "standard action movie" format by Disney, and that's where they've gotten right now.

I note that the person who did tell the interesting 2009 Star Trek story was in fact Abrams.

5 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

That 2nd movie was freaking terrible.  Hands down the worst Star Wars movie ever made.  

6 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

A lot of this just seems to be opinion. For all of the complaints, Episode 8 is still one of the most successful films of all time. Its the 5th fastest to 600mil of all time, and at the time it was 3rd (Black Panther/Infinity War beat it this year.)

I cant imagine any real Star Wars fan wont see the last one, no matter what they felt about Solo/etc. Its pretty hard to imagine it wont break 1bil, which would make it an immensely successful movie.

Of course when 2 of the series (Episode 1 and Episode 7) are insanely successful, its hard to live up to those expectations. And Episode 7 had the advantage of of almost 20 years of people wanting a new Star Wars. Most people dont even care that its basically a remake of Episode 1. 

2 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

A lot of this just seems to be opinion. For all of the complaints, Episode 8 is still one of the most successful films of all time. Its the 5th fastest to 600mil of all time, and at the time it was 3rd (Black Panther/Infinity War beat it this year.)

I cant imagine any real Star Wars fan wont see the last one, no matter what they felt about Solo/etc. Its pretty hard to imagine it wont break 1bil, which would make it an immensely successful movie.

Of course when 2 of the series (Episode 1 and Episode 7) are insanely successful, its hard to live up to those expectations. And Episode 7 had the advantage of of almost 20 years of people wanting a new Star Wars. Most people dont even care that its basically a remake of Episode 1. 

Agree with everything you stated. I think the last one was terrible...but will I watch the next one...absolutely.  And will it make a lot of money at the box office....YES.  

58 minutes ago, Tony said:

I love you Jason, but this take is criminal. 😂

It's not as bad as AoTC, but it's an absolute mess of a movie. It's not even a coherent narrative. It's a pointless collection of scenes. It could be the worst movie I've seen over the last 5 years. It's that bad. 

4 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Episode 3 -released in 2005, episode 7-released in 2015, =10 years

People said Episode 7 was basically a re-make of episode 4 (A New Hope) Episode 1 is The Phantom Menace.