STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Agreed.  This looks like a ton of fun.  Hopefully they land the ending.

It's almost cute how hopeful Star Wars fans continue to be despite 57 movies in a row of near total suck interspersed with "moments" where things are just about to get really good, and they find a way to fuck it up.

8 hours ago, Y2HH said:

It's almost cute how hopeful Star Wars fans continue to be despite 57 movies in a row of near total suck interspersed with "moments" where things are just about to get really good, and they find a way to fuck it up.

The Force Awakens was good. Rogue One was good. Solo was decent. The Last Jedi was the only trash one so far of the newest 4.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The Force Awakens was good. Rogue One was good. Solo was decent. The Last Jedi was the only trash one so far of the newest 4.

Granted, this is subjective because it's opinion, but I wouldn't call them any of them "good" considering the story they inherited and the amazing things they could have done with it.

Force Awakens was okay at best ...

Rogue one was meh, the final five minutes was awesome ...

Solo was meh ...

Last Jedi was flat out dumb as hell considering they squandered one of biggest "returns" in sci-fi history ...

My opinion/scoring system of those above movies is like this:

Empire was exceptional.

If Empire was exceptional, at BEST, Force Awakens (arguably the best of the newer movies) was just okay in comparison.

Like I said, it's cute how hopeful you continue to be. ;)

3 hours ago, Y2HH said:

Granted, this is subjective because it's opinion, but I wouldn't call them any of them "good" considering the story they inherited and the amazing things they could have done with it.

Solo was meh ...

Last Jedi was flat out dumb as hell considering they squandered one of biggest "returns" in sci-fi history ...

Empire was exceptional.

If Empire was exceptional, at BEST, Force Awakens (arguably the best of the newer movies) was just okay in comparison.

As a wise man once said, "truth is from a certain point of view."

On 10/24/2019 at 7:58 AM, Y2HH said:

Solo was meh ...

Empire was exceptional.

Ok.

I thought Rogue One was actually really good. The rest has been total trash. The cast of characters in the ST is so lifeless that I have absolutely no investment in their story. Star Wars has lost all it's mystique. Retconning Palpatine is one of the most desperate things I recall in any series.  I say this as a person whose office is almost completely decorated in OT memorabilia. 

The Mandalorian looks fantastic. I can't wait for that. 

• Like 1

I really liked Rogue one. Solo was underrated. 

If I had to rank the new movies in order of best to worst so far, it would be the following: 

1. Rogue One

2. Solo

3. TFA

4. TLJ

Just my opinion, but TFA and TLJ are worse than Revenge of the Sith at least, and arguably worse than The Phantom Menace.  

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

The Force Awakens was entertaining, but basically recycled a New Hope.  The Last Jedi was an absolute abomination though and pretty much destroyed any hope for this new trilogy.  It was so bad that I haven’t able to force myself to sit through Solo, which may very well be a decent movie.  I did really like Rogue One though.  It’s pretty sad how poorly Disney has done with this franchise (so far) while Marvel continues to thrive and actually get better.

On 10/27/2019 at 3:12 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Fuck you guys, Y2HH said Rogue One was meh. It is decided.

I never said you weren't free to like it, love it, or even declare it as the best movie ever made...

I simply didn't care for [most of] it ... until the end anyway ... the ending may be one of the best sequences in the entire franchise.

Not sure you were aware of this, but the world you live in is full of diverse opinions.

15 hours ago, Y2HH said:

I never said you weren't free to like it, love it, or even declare it as the best movie ever made...

I simply didn't care for [most of] it ... until the end anyway ... the ending may be one of the best sequences in the entire franchise.

Not sure you were aware of this, but the world you live in is full of diverse opinions.

To be honest, I was wasted when I posted that, but looking back at the thread I'm ok with that response since I was collectively referred to as "cute" twice for continuing to look forward to Star Wars content.

On 10/27/2019 at 8:14 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

The Force Awakens was entertaining, but basically recycled a New Hope.  The Last Jedi was an absolute abomination though and pretty much destroyed any hope for this new trilogy.  It was so bad that I haven’t able to force myself to sit through Solo, which may very well be a decent movie.  I did really like Rogue One though.  It’s pretty sad how poorly Disney has done with this franchise (so far) while Marvel continues to thrive and actually get better.

Solo is like TFA in that it's so vanilla, that it's not offensive, but it's not good. It's just not terrible - the new bar for Star Wars. 

14 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

To be honest, I was wasted when I posted that, but looking back at the thread I'm ok with that response since I was collectively referred to as "cute" twice for continuing to look forward to Star Wars content.

Sorry for calling you cute ... won't let it happen again ... cutie pie. ;)❤️ 

Edited by Y2HH

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

Solo is like TFA in that it's so vanilla, that it's not offensive, but it's not good. It's just not terrible - the new bar for Star Wars. 

It's really too bad that they didn't let Miller/Lord finish it and let it ride. Now it's a Frankenstein movie and it will never be assessed on its own, instead it will be reviewed as Howard taking it over and changing things 

the marketing for the movie was abysmal too, it's like they wanted it to fail.

personally I agree it was vanilla, but I also liked it and wouldn't mind seeing them continue it and trying to expand it

44 minutes ago, Tony said:

Here's my take on the Star Wars franchise in 2019. It's nearly impossible to keep everyone happy, and even harder when you have such a beloved franchise. 

For most people in 2019, you were exposed to Star Wars at a very young age. My dad had the 3 VHS Tapes that came in that black box together and I watched them on repeat as a kid. It still blows kids away. Maybe not like it did for a kid in 1977, but it still captures something for most. For the adults in 1977, it still was something unlike anyone had ever seen before, so it "got them" too. 

Once Star Wars sinks their hooks in, they have you for a while. The merchandise, the video games, the shoulder content they've provided over the years. It's been around us for so long now. So the expectations are incredibly high, as they should be. But at the same time, it's nearly impossible for Star Wars in 2019 to capture any of the same feelings you had watching the original trilogy. It was never going to happen. We've had those characters and stories with us for 40+ years. Additionally, Star Wars in 2019 has to deal with a number of things it never had to deal with in 1977, most notably catering to so many different audiences. How do you make a movie that die hard fans of Star Wars in their 40's and 50's are going to love as much as a 12 year old that Disney is also trying to please? Because for the die hard fans, you can still make a "good movie" but if you don't take care of the OT characters right, it doesn't matter if its a quality movie, you fucked up. 

Take Marvel for example. This run over the last decade plus has been incredible. Robert Downey Jr. is Iron Man, Chris Evans is Captain America. For the kid that was 14 years old when the first Iron Man came out and watched all the Marvel movies over the next ten years.......when they inevitably reboot the characters in twenty years, chances are the 34 year old is going to feel a lot different about the movies and characters then he did when he was 14. 

Long story short, there have been issues no doubt with the franchise over the last 10 years, but I also think Star Wars is in an incredibly unique position that was always going to be set up for a lot of hate. I still enjoy the universe they have created, am excited for The Rise of Skywalker, excited for The Mandalorian, and excited for what's next in the franchise. Will it capture what I felt when I watched the OT for the first time? Not a chance in hell, but I never expected it to. 

I just want them to make good movies. Of the last 7, they're 1 for 6. That's not nostalgia talking. If it was, I wouldn't think that Rogue One was fantastic. None of the rest are actually good movies. I guess Solo and TFA aren't terrible, but Solo is a standard, mostly lifeless, Hollywood heist film with all the typical plot points and The Force Awakens wasn't terrible, but it was hollow and not at all engaging. The Skywalker saga just needs to end already. 

#spacehorses

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's really too bad that they didn't let Miller/Lord finish it and let it ride. Now it's a Frankenstein movie and it will never be assessed on its own, instead it will be reviewed as Howard taking it over and changing things 

the marketing for the movie was abysmal too, it's like they wanted it to fail.

personally I agree it was vanilla, but I also liked it and wouldn't mind seeing them continue it and trying to expand it

The biggest problem with Solo is that they expected it to do good and that there would be a sequel. I guarantee that in retrospect they wish they had introduced Darth Maul half way through the film. 

Edited by Soxbadger

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

The biggest problem with Solo is that they expected it to do good and that there would be a sequel. I guarantee that in retrospect they wish they had introduced Darth Maul half way through the film. 

I believe they are still considering a sequel.   If they stick with one director and don't mess with it they could be fine.  Who knows if they can though, Kennedy is pretty hands on with the Star Wars property now.

4 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

Thanks...figured that was probably the case, but it’s really hard to motivate myself right now to sit through a vanilla standalone Star Wars film.

15 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Personally, the new trilogy has been pretty vanilla as well.

Even with that, I'm still more motivated to see the end of that saga than I was to see Solo (and I still haven't talked myself into it). I might when I wind up buying the Disney streaming package for Marvel stuff.