STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

31 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

To build off this, I am of the opinion that Revenge of the Sith, "high ground" and all, is the best of all the Star Wars movies. I know I'm in a vast minority, but the story is executed so perfectly. 

I really like Revenge of the Sith.  So many great moments and the emotional payoff at the end feels warranted because characters & relationships were built up over three films.

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The prequel trilogy gets way too much hate.  No doubt the writing was terrible at times, all the romance stuff was hard to stomach, and it occasionally lost its sense of adventure in exchange for world building.  However, when viewed in aggregate they told a comprehensive origin story that led to a very satisfying conclusion even if we knew what was coming.  I know it will be an unpopular opinion, but I probably like them more than the sequel trilogy, warts and all.

The romance stuff and a lot of the dialogue is really bad, but I still think the biggest problem with the prequels is all the really bad CGI.  If it was done more to look like the original trilogy at least a little bit, I think they would have aged better.  At times those movies almost feel like watching a cartoon. 

4 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

The romance stuff and a lot of the dialogue is really bad, but I still think the biggest problem with the prequels is all the really bad CGI.  If it was done more to look like the original trilogy at least a little bit, I think they would have aged better.  At times those movies almost feel like watching a cartoon. 

They were far too ambitious for their time and it really shows in the first two.  That being said, there are certain elements that still look great today.

11 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

I think the most troubling part is that the entire final trilogy ended with Romeo and Juliet.

Personally I think that Abrams was just too worried about fan service and that is why 7 and 9 are too timid in taking chances. I also think he brought back Palpatine because he was afraid of the potential reaction to whoever he made the new or ultimate villain. 

And maybe that is the real problem. I dont think they knew what direction they were going when 7/8 were made. I think Lucas did when he wrote the other 6. Therefore he was telling a story that was going towards a natural end. 

In the end, I think Star Wars fans shot themselves in the foot when they hated so hard on 8.

Lucas really didn't know where they were going in Episodes IV-VI.  That is why you have stuff like Leia and Luke kissing and while done well, the retcon of Vader being Luke's father.  It is pretty well known that wasn't planned out. 

I enjoyed the sequel trilogy and was satisfied with the conclusion.  It definitely could have been better though and I think Kennedy and the story group at Lucasfilm lack a great vision of where to take Star Wars which is why while I've enjoyed all of the movies so far the spinoffs were both play it safe and the trilogy lacked some cohesion.  That is the main difference between Marvel and Lucasfilm post-Disney acquisition.  Marvel has great leadership in Feige and Lucasfilm seems to be lacking there. 

Ultimately I'll always love the main saga but I'm also kind of glad it is over.  Star Wars is way to expansive of a universe to keep focusing on one time period and one family.  Hopefully now they can move on and create original stories with new characters set in that universe. 

12 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The prequel trilogy gets way too much hate.  No doubt the writing was terrible at times, all the romance stuff was hard to stomach, and it occasionally lost its sense of adventure in exchange for world building.  However, when viewed in aggregate they told a comprehensive origin story that led to a very satisfying conclusion even if we knew what was coming.  I know it will be an unpopular opinion, but I probably like them more than the sequel trilogy, warts and all.

The love story between Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen was hilarious but Christensen’s overall acting was an abomination.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:37 PM, caulfield12 said:

The simplest take is that audiences just are not connecting with or caring enough about the fate of the four main characters, compared to the original cast.  The investment isn’t there...or hasn’t been earned.  And Adam Driver, while a very talented performer, just doesn’t quite possess the physicality or intimidation factor of the best villains from the first six.  I get the reasons why he’s conflicted, but he just doesn’t have that menacing malevolent presence of a Darth Vader or Voldemort.

Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley's performances are the absolute best part of this trilogy. I think they're the strongest performances of the entire "saga." He's a good villain because he's unlike those villains. And lol, people actually thought Voldemort was a good villain? I always considered him to be more effective as a legendary big bad than as an actual character on the page/screen.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:54 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

And don’t forget finally a General!  Apparently it doesn’t take much to achieve the highest military rank in the Resistance!

Oh come on, this is Star Wars tradition. They hand out generalships like candy.

20 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The film was fun and extremely packed from end to end. Unforunately it was too packed so it didnt necessarily make for a great movie. This should have been two movies, with The Last Jedi never existing.

Except TLJ is the most actually creative and original movie of the three? I'll grant you that the Canto Bight and Poe/Holdo plotlines don't quite land for me, but the Rey/Kylo/Luke stuff in that is incredible; shame it was all negated by this one.

13 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Personally I think that Abrams was just too worried about fan service and that is why 7 and 9 are too timid in taking chances. I also think he brought back Palpatine because he was afraid of the potential reaction to whoever he made the new or ultimate villain. 

They killed off Snoke in the last one to set up Kylo Ren, an actual character with depth and an interesting arc, as the "ultimate villain." Apparently JJ just really needed a fucking space wizard back and so went with the least imaginative solution possible.

12 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

To build off this, I am of the opinion that Revenge of the Sith, "high ground" and all, is the best of all the Star Wars movies. I know I'm in a vast minority, but the story is executed so perfectly. 

lolol, Revenge of the Sith is, in many ways, nearly as bad as Clones, and maybe even worse. Oh hey look, finally the prequel events that we actually all wanted to see for twenty years. Guess what!? All of those important things we hinted at in the original movies? Those all happened on the same day! Sorry we didn't have more time for them!

I just got back from Rise of Skywalker, and I can say that this is tied with Rogue One for the best movie after the original trilogy. 

I agree with those that think the prequels get too much hate. 

Revenge of the Sith is a good movie. I actually really like that one. 

The only movies that I think are actually meh to bad are Attack of the Clones and the Last Jedi. (I like SW so much that I can't actually get myself to say any of them are bad. Just varying levels of meh) Even though I didn't like them, I still get enjoyment out of those two. 

I'm convinced the only reason people hate TPM is Jar Jar Binks. Just realize he's a goofy talking C3PO and the movie gets a lot better. Jar Jar and C3PO are basically the same character. One is a droid and one is a Gungan. Get over it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 1:58 AM, Jack Parkman said:

I just got back from Rise of Skywalker, and I can say that this is tied with Rogue One for the best movie after the original trilogy. 

The only movies that I think are actually meh to bad are Attack of the Clones and the Last Jedi. (I like SW so much that I can't actually get myself to say any of them are bad. Just varying levels of meh) Even though I didn't like them, I still get enjoyment out of those two. 

I'm convinced the only reason people hate TPM is Jar Jar Binks. Just realize he's a goofy talking C3PO and the movie gets a lot better. Jar Jar and C3PO are basically the same character. One is a droid and one is a Gungan. Get over it. 

Just got back from the movie and I agree it is one of the better ones. They tried to wrap everything up and while they had to do a lot it kept you interested without just being g an action movie placed in the star wars universe.

Overall, a good way to wrap up the original universe and a lead in to another.

The scale/scope of everything just got of whack in the movies...but the much smaller and yet more impactful storytelling in the 6+ hour t.v. show is really winning out.

I mean, it was possible to care more about an inanimate nurse droid than all the characters in TLS put together...or even Nick Nolte’s character.  That’s saying something.  

Gina Carano is perhaps the only thing I don't really like about it so far.

Edited by caulfield12

The Rise of Skywalker is trash. 

In retrospect, they should have let Rian Johnson write the whole thing. TLJ was divisive because Rian Johnson tried new things. The Abrams episodes were both significantly weaker films that did little. Cheap emotional moments, inexplicable resurrections, and trivial scavenger hunts damn Episode IX to the trash heap.

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

1 hour ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

In retrospect, they should have let Rian Johnson write the whole thing. TLJ was divisive because Rian Johnson tried new things. The Abrams episodes were both significantly weaker films that did little. Cheap emotional moments, inexplicable resurrections, and trivial scavenger hunts damn Episode IX to the trash heap.

I would have preferred Abrams did the whole thing. I liked where he was going with TFA before Rian Johnson fucked it all up. But either way, one consistent voice was needed. Either would have been better on their own than this back and forth shit.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

All JJ did with TFA was rehash ANH....yeah great direction to be going. It's obvious from this last film that Di$ney had no plan what so ever when they set out to do these films. Serioulsy....WTF? 

18 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Many times Ive thought that TLJ will age the best of the trilogy. I feel that people were upset because they thought that Johnson messed up some great Abrams storyline. After the last movie I think people are starting to realize that Abrams never really had some new intuitive idea and that Johnson moved the story in a more interesting fashion.

16 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I would have preferred Abrams did the whole thing. I liked where he was going with TFA before Rian Johnson fucked it all up. But either way, one consistent voice was needed. Either would have been better on their own than this back and forth shit.

This post doesnt even make sense. Abrams had every opportunity to go in any direction he wanted  as he was responsible for 2 of the 3 movies. Nothing Johnson did in 8 handcuffed Abrams at all.

5 hours ago, MEANS said:

All JJ did with TFA was rehash ANH....yeah great direction to be going. It's obvious from this last film that Di$ney had no plan what so ever when they set out to do these films. Serioulsy....WTF? 

I think the problem is that Disney put too much faith into directors. The Marvel movies worked, so Disney thought they could do a similar formula. Marvel movies can do more, because comic book fans are used to bad things happening to a character and then a different version/variant etc happens and that character is back. Its really hard to do a huge swerve with Star Wars because these stories are presumably the final chapter. I also think the backlash to TLJ caused them to take a much more conservative route with the final episode.

In the future when they can create their own universe they wont have to do as much fan service. 

On 12/25/2019 at 1:58 AM, Jack Parkman said:

I support this entire post.

On 1/4/2020 at 3:49 PM, Moan4Yoan said:

Saw it today with my kids.  Snoozer.  How many fake deaths can one movie employ?  Awful.

You can call Rise of Skywalker many things, but I don't think snoozer fits no matter how much you want to hate.