STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 01:44 PM)
Looks good.

Question though. How old where Han Solo and Calrissian in the original movies? Seems like this movie takes place like 2 years before episode IV. :D

Well, Harrison was about 35 in the original movie and Billy Dee Williams is about 5 years older than Harrison.

The new actor playing Solo is about 28 and Donald Glover is about 6 years older than him.

So you could say it's set around 7 years before the first movie.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 02:10 PM)
Well, Harrison was about 35 in the original movie and Billy Dee Williams is about 5 years older than Harrison.

The new actor playing Solo is about 28 and Donald Glover is about 6 years older than him.

So you could say it's set around 7 years before the first movie.

The actor is 28 but that doesn't mean the character has to be.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 03:33 PM)
Like Rogue One, they are going to have to walk that fine line of too much cheap fan service and legit scenes that fit the story and we all want to see.

Cautiously optimistic.

I don’t think this is fan service, his bad history with Jabba got him frozen in Carbonite. I think it is just telling the story

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 05:36 PM)
I don’t think this is fan service, his bad history with Jabba got him frozen in Carbonite. I think it is just telling the story

That's not how it seemed from Episode 4. In Episode 4 it was "Han my boy" from Jabba, at least in the scene that was edited out of the original. He was a regular smuggler for Jabba and then he got boarded and had to ditch a shipment, costing Jabba a lot. They were slightly hostile but that was Han too, always a little hostile but also willing to flatter. "I'll give you something a little extra for your troubles". Han then didn't pay him back for the lost shipment after episode 4, instead running away with the Rebels to Hoth. Han was still talking about going to pay Jabba back with the money he had at the start of Empire, but the evacuation, chase, and failure of the hyperdrive prevented that, so he got caught by Fett before he ever got around to paying Jabba.

They seemed like they had a decent business relationship, at least for smugglers, at the start of ep 4.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 03:41 PM)
That's not how it seemed from Episode 4. In Episode 4 it was "Han my boy" from Jabba, at least in the scene that was edited out of the original. He was a regular smuggler for Jabba and then he got boarded and had to ditch a shipment, costing Jabba a lot. They were slightly hostile but that was Han too, always a little hostile but also willing to flatter. "I'll give you something a little extra for your troubles". Han then didn't pay him back for the lost shipment after episode 4, instead running away with the Rebels to Hoth. Han was still talking about going to pay Jabba back with the money he had at the start of Empire, but the evacuation, chase, and failure of the hyperdrive prevented that, so he got caught by Fett before he ever got around to paying Jabba.

They seemed like they had a decent business relationship, at least for smugglers, at the start of ep 4.

So you would agree that establishing a relationship with jabba prior to episode 4 would be telling Hans story?

I dont think there is anything wrong with Jabba being in the story (he may even be necessary). I think Fett could be in it, but it would be more of a side character as there wasnt anything that seemed to suggest Han knew Fett at all.

Vader/Tarkin would be an extreme stretch but you could write a story where Han is smuggling something that Vader wanted. But that would seem to just be an attempt to make money off Vader's likeness, and not sure if the Skywalker estate would allow it. :)

I think of the ones you mentioned Plus Jabba, Boba Fett (to me) would be the biggest stretch.

Apparently a lot of Hans “legends” storyline is being co-opted into this movie, and many other movies to come. Which I think is a smart move by Lucasfilm/Disney

I don't know if TLJ took the excitement out of me or what, but I'm not all that pumped about it. I'll watch it because it's Star Wars and Donald Glover, but otherwise I wouldn't mind if it was coming out in December instead of May, I'm just not anticipating it too much.

Also, really don't like the choice of actor to play Solo. Other than an easy hairdo, he doesn't look convincing at all as a young Harrison Ford.

Benioff and Weiss to develop a Star Wars series of films as well. Looks like Episode IX will likely be the end of the Skywalker saga (at least for a long time). That is probably the right move, how long can you spend focused on the same family when you have such a fun universe to play with.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 09:39 PM)
I don't know if TLJ took the excitement out of me or what, but I'm not all that pumped about it. I'll watch it because it's Star Wars and Donald Glover, but otherwise I wouldn't mind if it was coming out in December instead of May, I'm just not anticipating it too much.

Also, really don't like the choice of actor to play Solo. Other than an easy hairdo, he doesn't look convincing at all as a young Harrison Ford.

Me neither.

• 1 month later...

Solo is good, I really enjoyed it. 

While I think Last Jedi is a bad movie due to its terrible execution, I love what it tried to do with the mythology. That being said I think Solo is a good palette cleanser for people who didn't like Last Jedi and wanted something more traditional. 

I really loved the underworld that the film presented. Hopefully, it is explored more in other anthology films. And this is easily the best shot Star Wars film since Disney bought Lucasfilm, maybe in the entire franchise. You can always tell what was reshoot in a movie (Justice Leauge, Fant4stic) but nothing stood out until the very end of the movie.

Alden Ehrenreich was pretty good in it. I had a huge problem with him being cast because he doesn't really look like Harrison Ford but my friend told me to think of it as him playing Han Solo and not as him playing Harrison Ford and that made me come around. 

The movie also has possibly the coolest, vibe-y scene in any Star Wars film.

Edited by Joshua Strong
spelling

I wish I was excited for Solo but I just am not. Maybe it’s all the rumors about the kid playing Han. Maybe it’s because most Ron Howard movies are boring. 

Im sure I’ll still catch it in theatres

On 5/25/2018 at 3:14 PM, Tony said:

Just got out. It was fun, but also nothing special. And I'm ok with that. In some ways, it was refreshing just to have a basic stand alone movie that was just meant to be fun, and didn't have to have these huge ramifications to the Skywalker saga. Thought the performances were all solid, not a huge fan of L3 (the droid), however. 

Also, the cameo at the end was fun. Not sure what the real point was, but it was fun.  

I guess Solo takes place before Rebels. That one guy is huge crime lord and plays a really big role in Clone Wars and Rebels. 

Just got back from Solo.  Really enjoyed it, thought the casting of both Solo and Lando was really solid.  Both worked hard to get mannerisms and the like down of Ford and Williams respectively.

Agreed. I thought it started a little silly/goofy/whatever, but after that, this one was really solid. And I was impressed by the actor playing solo. Obviously Glover was going to be on point.

The reveal at the end blew my miiiiiind and I loved it so much.