SB/CS

Alex Avila 21/11

Tyler Flowers 53/18

Dioner Navarro 14/9

DRS

Alex Avila -2

Tyler Flowers -2

Dioner Navarro 2

Sample size is a little different for Flowers because he was a starter while Avila was injured and Navarro was a backup, but nevertheless, you can see that Flowers isnt really a better defensive catcher than either of the other 2. In fact, Navarro and Flowers are suppose to have the same defensive score in 2016 according to Steamer.

I guess Toronto fans have reasons to be upset about it.

Marco Estrada:

By Catcher (2015)

Russell Martin is the top line, Navarro is the bottom.

G IP ER ERA PA AB R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/W BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip

14 61.1 28 4.11 261 238 31 58 11 3 7 5 2 20 50 2.50 .244 .307 .403 .710 96 1 2 0 1 0 3 .280

20 119.2 35 2.63 464 421 35 76 13 2 17 2 3 35 81 2.31 .181 .247 .342 .589 144 5 3 2 2 2 1 .182

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 07:42 AM)
Beckham, Flowers, Alexei...next year Danks and LaRoche. Avi supposedly on the block. They are running out of punching bags.

Thank goodness. The Sox have needed to trim some of the fat off of this roster for awhile now. These guys just aren't winners, and that's what we're all looking for. And frankly, even though I kind of liked Alexei, he just didn't seem to have the mentality of a winning baseball player.

On the defensive side of the ledger, Navarro was one of the league’s worst-rated pitch framers in 2014. But he’s generally rated more as a below-average framer than an awful one, and he returned to that status last year. More broadly, Defensive Runs Saved has pegged Navarro right at league average in terms of overall performance behind the plate.

The more I think about it, the more I like this series of moves. Avila can hit righties, Navarro can hit lefites. However, knowing that the majority of pitchers are right-handed, having a switch-hitting Navarro makes sense so that Avila doesn't play most of the games. This move makes sense, and I hope it works out for the Sox. Another plus is that this is now out of the way before the winter meetings start, as I am certain there will some large fish to fry there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
I just dont believe in this pitch framing stat being a good evaluation tool for catchers. Top tier SP's are going to skew that stat in favor of whoever their catcher is.

I agree it's just a stat to make up for deficiencies. There is just no way someone can be mad at these two deals. They're trying to get better and platooning. Let's hope Robin does fine with it.

Lots of good points being made in here:

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 07:37 AM)
Looking at his stats, it looks like he's been more of a platoon/back-up guy except for a couple years. One would expect the Sox to truly use a platoon approach with him and Avila.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 07:52 AM)
@Buster_ESPN: Last year, Dioner Navarro posted an .894 OPS vs. lefties, so White Sox can work a platoon of he and the left-handed hitting Alex Avila.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
Hopefully, Navarro and Avila can make it through the year healthy and be what we are hoping them to be. At least on paper, it seems a good idea, but they have both had seasons they didn't hit .200. But even worst case scenario, you aren't behind the rest of the league too much if your catching is an offensive black hole.

Looking forward to seeing how a strict platoon will go. It seems weird that the very first thing the Sox did was jettison their decent catching tandem for a different decent catching tandem, but ultimately it's whatever.

I would say a couple things regarding catcher defense. One, a catcher's caught stealing numbers have just as much to do with who's on the mound as with the catcher himself. Only the best throwers can overcome slow deliveries to limit the running game. I rarely look at catcher CS numbers because I feel like there's too much else going on.

Two, to the guys saying "lol pitch framing who cares," read up on it, if only because there's a lot of entertaining stuff. It is absolutely a skill and some guys are better at it than others. I'm not sure it's worth >1 WAR because the umpire and the pitcher also play a role, but read some articles about it, particularly with .gifs. Look up Jeff Sullivan's worst called strikes and balls pieces on Fangraphs. The way a catcher fields pitches absolutely affects what an umpire sees.

The MLB-wide OPS is 92 points lower after an 0-1 count than a 1-0 count. The difference between 2-1 and 1-2 is 350 points. Catchers can get extra strikes. And grabbing extra strikes where you can is important.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
Lots of good points being made in here:

Looking forward to seeing how a strict platoon will go. It seems weird that the very first thing the Sox did was jettison their decent catching tandem for a different decent catching tandem, but ultimately it's whatever.

I would say a couple things regarding catcher defense. One, a catcher's caught stealing numbers have just as much to do with who's on the mound as with the catcher himself. Only the best throwers can overcome slow deliveries to limit the running game. I rarely look at catcher CS numbers because I feel like there's too much else going on.

Two, to the guys saying "lol pitch framing who cares," read up on it, if only because there's a lot of entertaining stuff. It is absolutely a skill and some guys are better at it than others. I'm not sure it's worth >1 WAR because the umpire and the pitcher also play a role, but read some articles about it, particularly with .gifs. Look up Jeff Sullivan's worst called strikes and balls pieces on Fangraphs. The way a catcher fields pitches absolutely affects what an umpire sees.

The MLB-wide OPS is 92 points lower after an 0-1 count than a 1-0 count. The difference between 2-1 and 1-2 is 350 points. Catchers can get extra strikes. And grabbing extra strikes where you can is important.

Agree about pitch-framing, but looking back in past years Flowers didn't rate too highly there (2014 he was below average, 2013 only slightly above average), is this something that we can be sure is a permanent change?

The roster July 10, 2013:

Lineup- De Aza, Ramirez, Rios, Dunn, Keppinger, Gillaspie, Viciedo, Beckham, Flowers

Bench- Morel, Tekotte, Phegley, Wells

Rotation-Sale, Axelrod, Quintana, Santiago, Danks

Bullpen- Lindstrom, Thornton, Troncoso, Purcey, Castro, Jones, Reed

DL- Konerko, Floyd, Peavy, Crain

I'll give the Sox credit for turning over the roster in a short amount of time, but until they actually convert that to playoff appearances (or A playoff appearance), it really doesn't matter.

Edited by flavum