Who Do You Want at 3rd Next Season?

Dunt

Who should play 3rd for the Sox next season?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Todd Frazier
    • Brett Lawrie
    • Trevor Plouffe
    • Martin Prado
    • Pedro Alvarez
    • Byung Yung Hwang
    • Other

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
We're not getting CarGo unless we give up at least a couple good prospects, and we're not getting Arenado unless we trade Sale or Quintana + the entire farm.

You could get Arenado for Sale. It won't happen, but Sale is more valuable. You certainly wouldn't have to add "the farm".

I would prefer Hwang 28 years old solves a pain point for the near future as Trey Michalczewski continues to develop and fits well with the rest of this core (Sale, Q, Abreu & Eaton). We should be finding out shortly as the announcement should come today who won the bidding.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
I would prefer Hwang 28 years old solves a pain point for the near future as Trey Michalczewski continues to develop and fits well with the rest of this core (Sale, Q, Abreu & Eaton). We should be finding out shortly as the announcement should come today who won the bidding.

i wish they the sox had more prospects at ss and 3b instead of just the one.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
We're not getting CarGo unless we give up at least a couple good prospects, and we're not getting Arenado unless we trade Sale or Quintana + the entire farm.

Which is why we should scout and do due diligence on the 3b arenado is blocking.

Arenados War was 4.5 so let's not over hype him.

Rockies need a bevy of young pitching. E Johnson should be attractive, esp as he doesn't seem to be a member of Cooper's first team.

Edited by GreenSox

I'm not against Hwang but I have backed off and hope the Sox go after Lawrie. Lawrie is younger than Hwuang and has years of MLB experience and Hwang has none. Imo, Lawrie makes much more sense than Hwang after thinking more about it. I would check in with the Marlins about Prado' availability/cost and kick the tires on Freese as well just as fall back options.

FWIW, none of these players are by any means my first choice, just what I perceive to be the most realistic options for the Sox at this point. But who knows what tricks Hahn might have up his sleeve.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 07:39 AM)
Which is why we should scout and do due diligence on the 3b arenado is blocking.

Arenados War was 4.5 so let's not over hype him.

Rockies need a bevy of young pitching. E Johnson should be attractive, esp as he doesn't seem to be a member of Cooper's first team.

I agree about going after McMahon but with first base open for the Rockies they can put McMahon there when he's ready. That said, myself and a few others have been talking since mid summer about trying to trade Montas for McMahon since they are rated so closely together in the top 100 with Montas as #54 and McMahon at #50. In theory its a fit but if the Rockies are high on McMahon then the Sox might be SOL.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 07:54 AM)
I agree about going after McMahon but with first base open for the Rockies they can put McMahon there when he's ready. That said, myself and a few others have been talking since mid summer about trying to trade Montas for McMahon since they are rated so closely together in the top 100 with Montas as #54 and McMahon at #50. In theory its a fit but if the Rockies are high on McMahon then the Sox might be SOL.

I like that idea.

But I do value Montas, with our pen so devoid of quality power arms.

Lawrie just isn't very good. I just have a thing about .300 OBPs.

And then there is the Beane factor. Sox love piling on for Billy.

Edited by GreenSox

This remains the most obvious trade to me, unless the Sox can get an impact bat in a deal involving Montas.

You trade bullpen arms for position players all day long. Yes, I know Montas is not a bullpen arm, yet.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
This remains the most obvious trade to me, unless the Sox can get an impact bat in a deal involving Montas.

You trade bullpen arms for position players all day long. Yes, I know Montas is not a bullpen arm, yet.

The value of power bullpen arms is quickly rising, esp considering a mediocre starting staff + 4 power pitching arms just dominated the World Series.

Sox have tried to find those guys on the cheap- power with no command and let Coop fix them like he did Thornton a decade ago. But the Cooper magic has faded.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
The value of power bullpen arms is quickly rising, esp considering a mediocre starting staff + 4 power pitching arms just dominated the World Series.

Sox have tried to find those guys on the cheap- power with no command and let Coop fix them like he did Thornton a decade ago. But the Cooper magic has faded.

Yes, relievers have value. But cornerstone 3B have more.

Arenado will be on another team by the time McMahon is ready. McMahon was in A+ last year.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:02 AM)
I like that idea.

But I do value Montas, with our pen so devoid of quality power arms.

Lawrie just isn't very good. I just have a thing about .300 OBPs.

And then there is the Beane factor. Sox love piling on for Billy.

I like Lawrie as the best available and immediate option of the third baseman.. McMahon is a preferred choice no doubt but even if the Sox were to get him, McMahon still needs time in the minors since he's just played AA ball to this point and likely starts at AAA in '16.

I hear ya about trading with Oakland though. Not a big fan of the idea myself. If Billy wants too much for Lawrie then I have no problem with looking elsewhere.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)

The Sox have young pitching, the Rockies have young hitting so there's a potential matchup for a trade and Hahn has said he is open to trading minor league pitching for minor league hitting.

Another idea would be to trade Anderson for McMahon since the Sox need a 3B for the future and the Rockies need a SS for the future. Especially after the s*** the Reyes has put himself into off the field and is looking more like he needs to play 2B on the field. Anderson is rated #38 fwiw so there's a potential fit there as well.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Arenado will be on another team by the time McMahon is ready. McMahon was in A+ last year.

You're right. Not sure why I thought he played AA last year. I was just looking at Houston's AJ Reed so I think that's where I got confused even though Reed plays 1B.

Arenado has three years of control left and is viewed as the new face of the Rockies so at some point I'd guess the Rockies look to extend him like they did with Tulo. I don't think the Rockies are going to trade him.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)
I like Lawrie as the best available and immediate option of the third baseman.. McMahon is a preferred choice no doubt but even if the Sox were to get him, McMahon still needs time in the minors since he's just played AA ball to this point and likely starts at AAA in '16.

I hear ya about trading with Oakland though. Not a big fan of the idea myself. If Billy wants too much for Lawrie then I have no problem with looking elsewhere.

The Sox have young pitching, the Rockies have young hitting so there's a potential matchup for a trade and Hahn has said he is open to trading minor league pitching for minor league hitting.

Another idea would be to trade Anderson for McMahon since the Sox need a 3B for the future and the Rockies need a SS for the future. Especially after the s*** the Reyes has put himself into off the field and is looking more like he needs to play 2B on the field. Anderson is rated #38 fwiw so there's a potential fit there as well.

I think they have a short stop in the high minors almost ready. Plus I think they drafted on with their first pick last year.