Andre Ethier

Y2Jimmy0

Should the White Sox be interested in Andre Ethier if the Dodgers would eat LaRoche's contract? Ethier is 33 years old and is owed $37.5 million the next 2 years. How much would the Dodgers have to eat?

Ethier put up a 2.9 fWAR and had a wRC+ of 137 last year. He was really good vs RHP. Vs RHP: .385 wOBA, 150 wRC+, high .336 BABIP, with a .900 OPS. My question is: What would it take? Who would the Dodgers have to take back in return and how much money would they have to eat? Ethier would give the Sox the LH run producer against RHP that they need and if they could dump LaRoche, it could give them flexibility with DH spot.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
Should the White Sox be interested in Andre Ethier if the Dodgers would eat LaRoche's contract? Ethier is 33 years old and is owed $37.5 million the next 2 years. How much would the Dodgers have to eat?

Ethier put up a 2.9 fWAR and had a wRC+ of 137 last year. He was really good vs RHP. Vs RHP: .385 wOBA, 150 wRC+, high .336 BABIP, with a .900 OPS. My question is: What would it take? Who would the Dodgers have to take back in return and how much money would they have to eat? Ethier would give the Sox the LH run producer against RHP that they need and if they could dump LaRoche, it could give them flexibility with DH spot.

Dodgers wouldn't be interested in LaRoche for Ethier.

1) already have Gonzalez at first

2) Ethier is useful and likely their starting RF next season (probably moving Puig this offseason)

We would have to include something significant to make it worth their time for them to take on LaRoche and cut him and pay him for the full season. Our farm isn't deep enough to make that type of move.

Edited by soxfan2014

Either + cash for Laroche seems fair. Can't trad young talent for Ethier.

Some NL team could use him as back up first baseman.

Ethier did have a bounce back season which will inflate price. Should have gotten him for nothing last year instead of Melky.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
I wouldn't mind Ethier but I can't see why the Dodgers would take LaRoche just to sit him on the bench.

Well Rosenthal tweeted this morning that they'd like to move one of Ethier or Crawford. The only way it works for White Sox is without LaRoche. They could take LaRoche back and release him. They've done it before. Multiple times.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
Avi, LaRoche, Danks. Man, all 3 of these guys have been mentioned in proposed trades that bring back useful parts.

You guys are smoking some nice bud.

You could get something for Avi. It wouldn't be much, but you could get something. The only way LaRoche and Danks are moving is by getting released, swapped for an equally as bad contract or given away with the Sox eating a s*** load of money.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
And let it be know that Danks had a higher War than James Shields and without the help of the fly ball park.

Hero worshipper.

Danks is what he is at this point, and is a bit more useful than the worthless he is tagged to be, but I doubt anyone is looking to pick him up unless the White Sox are willing to do them a big favor.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
Well Rosenthal tweeted this morning that they'd like to move one of Ethier or Crawford. The only way it works for White Sox is without LaRoche. They could take LaRoche back and release him. They've done it before. Multiple times.

I think the Dodgers can find a better deal for Ethier than trading for LaRoche only to release him. Ethier's value has rebounded and could go up more depending on how much the big FA outfielders contracts look after they've signed.

Danks could be a somewhat realistic option but very doubtful since the Dodgers need a legit front line starter and have McCarthy coming back. Danks would certainly fit into that ball park very well though.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
I think the Dodgers can find a better deal for Ethier than trading for LaRoche only to release him. Ethier's value has rebounded and could go up more depending on how much the big FA outfielders contracts look after they've signed.

Danks could be a somewhat realistic option but very doubtful since the Dodgers need a legit front line starter and have McCarthy coming back. Danks would certainly fit into that ball park very well though.

Yeah you are probably right. Ethier doesn't really make sense on the Sox though with LaRoche also on the team. That's why I put it the way I did.

Think I've been advocating a Danks for Ethier swap for about 3 years now lol...Ethier probably upped his value by having a good year so I'm not sure a 1 for 1 swap makes a ton of sense. Although, an easily attainable 17.5M vesting option in '18 for Ethier is a little scary. Dodgers would have to eat a lot of money and in doing so they'd probably want something decent in return. They need pitching depth though so maybe Danks + Beck makes sense for them hoping to fill their 5th spot in the rotation while still saving a couple million on Ethier this year. Ethier + $12M(? end up somewhere close to 3/ 40M for '16-'18 for us) for Danks and Beck?

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
And let it be know that Danks had a higher War than James Shields and without the help of the fly ball park.

Shields definitely pitched better than Danks in 2015. The only reason Danks had a higher fWAR is because fWAR uses FIP. Shields' FIP was destroyed by a ridiculous 17.6% HR/FB rate. His xFIP, which normalizes HR/FB to a league average 10.5%, was 3.70. Significantly better than Danks. I don't think there is a GM in baseball that would take Danks over Shields if you ignore their contracts.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)

imo, the dodger will start with rodon then move on to Q is they are expecting to eat laroche contract and get ethier.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
imo, the dodger will start with rodon then move on to Q is they are expecting to eat laroche contract and get ethier.

No chance. Q would cost Joc Pederson +. I think Rodon would actually cost more than Q. No chance the Dodgers would ask for that in return.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)

Rodon or Q for Ethier? Nooooo

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
If the Sox decided to go the route of trading a prospect or two for him and having the Dodgers eat some cash, he would definitely be an interesting rotational piece with Thompson and LaRoche.

Sox just can't trade prospects for 33 year olds when the org is in this shape