White Sox exploring Nobuhiro Matsuda

Whisox05

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At his age, and the effect of coming over to MLB from Japan usually meaning players get caught-up to (with a few exceptions), he seems like an interesting option for a 2 year deal, or 2 plus an option year maybe. 3 is pushing it. Also, his defense is a key factor, and I can't find anything about that anywhere.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
Sorry my comps bother you so much. I suppose you are correct and this guy is a stud, and will get a boatload of money.

My point is you can't just point to an older player who had success as a reason to discount other players who have had success. I see it all the time and it's weak.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:53 AM)
My point is you can't just point to an older player who had success as a reason to discount other players who have had success. I see it all the time and it's weak.

Very few 3B's, regardless of where they come from, do well into years 33, 34, 35. There are some, but there is risk there. Not talking about a 1B here, or a pitcher. It is a valid point.

Japan is pretty much on the other side of the planet from San Diego and Chicago. Are there non-stops to Tokyo out of SD? I know there are out of ORD.

Not that it matters. If he's coming to the USA he's going to be far from home.

Oh and I don't think a Japanese player is going to feel right at home down at Cermak and Wentworth. Not all asians are the same lol.

I will take a 3B with good defense and some pop. If he doesn't walk much oh well, Sox aren't really in a position to acquire a player who does everything well.

My idea all along has been grab a handful of players who do a minimum of two things very well, and maybe aren't great the rest. Emphasis on baserunning and defense. Matsuda provides a defensive upgrade and probably some HR power, that's enough to keep me sated.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
Japan is pretty much on the other side of the planet from San Diego and Chicago. Are there non-stops to Tokyo out of SD? I know there are out of ORD.

Not that it matters. If he's coming to the USA he's going to be far from home.

Oh and I don't think a Japanese player is going to feel right at home down at Cermak and Wentworth. Not all asians are the same lol.

Yes there are. SD is closer to Japan than Chicago. It's just that SD is on the east side of the Pacific and Japan is on the west side.

Not sure how appealing SD will be for a 32 year old 3B just starting his MLB career since SD is obviously rebuilding.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
Yes there are. SD is closer to Japan than Chicago. It's just that SD is on the east side of the Pacific and Japan is on the west side.

Not sure how appealing SD will be for a 32 year old 3B just starting his MLB career since SD is obviously rebuilding.

Well that ESPN article mentioning him did say at the bottom that he has a 4 year 20 million dollar offer from the team he was previously playing for. He might take that.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
Well that ESPN article mentioning him did say at the bottom that he has a 4 year 20 million dollar offer from the team he was previously playing for. He might take that.

I guess the quest for a 3B would continue for Hahn.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
I guess the quest for a 3B would continue for Hahn.

Well I would hope we dont give him a 4 year deal. 2 is probably right where you want to be. But I'm not sure he would move over here for 2 years unless the money was way above that offer from Japan.