1 game playoff

mmmmmbeeer

If this comed down to a 1 game playoff in Minny, who do you start? Depending on the rotation, when the playoffs start, and all that other good s***, I'd try to be sure that Colon could pitch the playoff. Sure E-Lo will a 20 game winner but he's seems to be slipping a bit lately. Mark seems to be struggling with consistency and has no playoff experience. I know there are several Bart Haters on this board, just wondering who and why you would start anyone else?

Thats an intersting question... I think Bartolo may give us our best chance at this moment of time, but how do you not start Loaiza after the season he's had thus far. He hasnt looked too good the last couple starts, but lets see how he finishes the season up in his next couple of starts..

Otherwise, yeah, i think Colon could be our best bet

Go Sox + #45!

Sure E-Lo will a 20 game winner but he's seems to be slipping a bit lately.

I wouldn't have a problem starting Colon either in a one game playoff or Game One of a Divisional Playoff.

However, I do think it's funny that since Loaiza..... a 19-game winner and the only Cy Young Candidate on this team..... lost his last outing, it is seen as "slipping" by most on this board.

It wasn't just his last outing. He pitched poorly against the Indians here, and was fortunate to get the win. So to the extent that you can be slipping for two starts in a row, he is.

If you consider Two bad pitches with runners on against the indians was a "horrible" outing then I would hate to have to live up to your lofty standards!

Nineteen wins is Nineteen wins and if you have been paying attention all season he should have 22 or 23 by now...But with all that being said I would probably want Colon to pitch in a one game playoff... :lolhitting

Where did I say "horrible"? Reading is a skill.

I'm SOOOOOO sorry let me rewrite my post.... :finger

If you consider Two bad pitches with runners on against the indians was a "poorly pitched" outing then I would hate to have to live up to your lofty standards!

Nineteen wins is Nineteen wins and if you have been paying attention all season he should have 22 or 23 by now...But with all that being said I would probably want Colon to pitch in a one game playoff...

Instead of talking theory, lets put some potential facts to it. Based on a 5 man rotation, and correct me if I'm wrong here but:

E-Lo pitches on the 16, 21, 26

Bart pitches on the 17,22,27

Mark pitches on the 18,23,28

The playoff game would be ASAP after the 28th. I'm not sure if they set a date. At any rate Estaban has the most rest of the "big three". If the game is scheduled for the 30th we have almost not choice but to go with E-Lo on 4 days rest. Unless we want to go with Garland :o

Instead of talking theory, lets put some potential facts to it. Based on a 5 man rotation, and correct me if I'm wrong here but:

E-Lo pitches on the 16, 21, 26

Bart pitches on the 17,22,27

Mark pitches on the 18,23,28

The playoff game would be ASAP after the 28th. I'm not sure if they set a date. At any rate Estaban has the most rest of the "big three". If the game is scheduled for the 30th we have almost not choice but to go with E-Lo on 4 days rest. Unless we want to go with  Garland  :o

Do you think JM has played out a tie scenario in his head? As far as I can tell from your post you'd either have a fresh Garland or a moderately rested ELo going in a 9/29 playoff. I think you've got to evaluate the KC series and pick a matchup that we can seize an opportunity to align the rotation to Bart 9/29 and ELo 9/30 starts. Not necessarily sacrifice a game but pick the best possible matchup to perhaps give DW a start in order to bump Colon's start on the 27th. It's really gotta suck to be JM right now, there are so many things to consider.....which frankly scares the s*** outta me. He's never proven to me he coaches well under pressure.

If this comed down to a 1 game playoff in Minny, who do you start?  Depending on the rotation, when the playoffs start, and all that other good s***, I'd try to be sure that Colon could pitch the playoff.  Sure E-Lo will a 20 game winner but he's seems to be slipping a bit lately.  Mark seems to be struggling with consistency and has no playoff experience.  I know there are several Bart Haters on this board, just wondering who and why you would start anyone else?

B-A-R-T-O-L-O. He's been money the second half and I think he gives us the best chance to win (I'm not taking a thing away from CY-Loiza or MB) out of our current rotation.

What can ya say about Bartolo's 3 straight complete games. He's been a stud lately. You have to go with him in the 1-game playoff and to start the division series, if you can.

I'd start MB in a division series if it came to that. Much as I love the guy he isin't a machine, he'll need at least 3 days rest.

Do you think JM has played out a tie scenario in his head?  As far as I can tell from your post you'd either have a fresh Garland or a moderately rested ELo going in a 9/29 playoff.  I think you've got to evaluate the KC series and pick a matchup that we can seize an opportunity to align the rotation to  Bart 9/29 and ELo 9/30 starts. Not necessarily sacrifice a game but pick the best possible matchup to perhaps give DW a start in order to bump Colon's start on the 27th.  It's really gotta suck to be JM right now, there are so many things to consider.....which frankly scares the s*** outta me.  He's never proven to me he coaches well under pressure.

No. He's too busy today tinkering with Tuesday nights line-up against MN. But when he does get around to it, I'm sure he'll find a way to f*** it up.

This is one of the reasons why this MN series in MN is critical to win. Going into KC the last week of the season with the Division wrapped up or a 2-3 game lead (Magic Number 1 or 2) means JM could option one start to give either BC, EL, or MB extra rest for a possible tie-breaker. At the very least, being able to rest one of those guys for Game 1 of a possible ALDS would be HUGE.

However, I don't think JM will have that luxury. You may be looking at JG going Game 1 of a possible ALDS simply because JM will have to use our best just to get into the ALDS.

JM has set up his rotation for the ALDS of Loiaza, Colon, Buehrle. If there is a playoff game to get in, Loiaza will be the only one with enough rest to go. Garland would then have to start the opener, with Colon on 3 days in game 2, Buehrle on 4 days in game 3, Loiaza again on 4 days in game 4, and then Colon on 4 days in Game 5.

That's not too bad. It's not enough to fear a playoff.

Without a playoff, it will likely be Loiaza on 4 days, Colon on 3 days, Buehrle on 4 days, then Loiaza again on 3 days, and Colon on 4 days.

But some of this presumes we use a 5th starter once more -- on the 20th.

Colon is the go to guy - but we won't know what our choices are until that last weekend. You have to do everything possible to get into the playoffs. If that last KC game is the game that gets you into a tie, then everybody goes into the pen. You sort out who's the best available after that. These would be desperate times; you rule out nothing. You might have to start Elo, go to Garland, use Buehrle for a batter, you never know. Let's hope we get at least that far.

If it was possible, I would also say Colon. He has that reliable stuff and you know he's gonna save you the bull-pen for the ALDS. If not, I HAVE to start E-Lo because he's the s***! :headbang But if worst comes to worst we will start Danny Wright and hope he doesnt walk 6 guys. :lol: