Star Wars movies

knightni

How have you seen the films?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the series? Have you seen the films?

• I like the movies!
    • I don't like them, but have seen at least one
    • I haven't ever watched them/don't care
  2. 2. Original Trilogy

• Watched Star Wars in theater (1977 or later)
    • Watched Star Wars on other format
    • Watched Empire in theater (1980 or later)
    • Watched Empire on other format
    • Watched Jedi in theater (1983 or later)
    • Watched Jedi on other format
    • Haven't seen any and/or don't care
  3. 3. Prequels

• Watched Phantom Menace in theater
    • Watched Phantom Menace on VHS/DVD/TV
    • Watched Clones in theater
    • Watched Clones on VHS/DVD/TV
    • Watched Sith in theater
    • Watched Sith on VHS/DVD/TV
    • Haven't seen any and/or don't care

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
What's your history with the Star Wars movies?

Did you see them in the theater on release, or other methods later?

Do you not really get into them at all?

Vote and comment on your experiences!

I'm pretty into them. Not to the extremes that many people reach, but I quote them / know some peripheral characters / get goosebumps watching the FA trailers.

Saw the original trilogy when they did the theatrical re-release in the '90's. I don't remember having any concept of the movies before then, so when people get upset about Han Shot First and all the dumb added CG, I have no frame of reference for that.

Also saw the prequels as they came out in theatres, and along similar lines I remember not hating them as much as others. If anything it was the acting that ruined them for me, not any retconned lore and whatnot.

Huge fan of the movies and I'm not sure I've ever been as excited for a movie as I am for the Force Awakens. Wasn't quite sure how to answer my viewing experience for the original trilogy because my first time watching those was on VHS but I watched all 3 in theaters when they were re-released in 1997.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
The first poll section would have been great to have a split. The originals (Ep 4, 5, 6) I liked a lot, still do. The prequels (Ep 1, 2, 3) were 95% steaming piles of garbage.

I saw all but the original (A New Hope) at the theater...

Ep 4 is somewhat boring, but still better than the prequels.

Ep 5 is amazing.

Ep 6 is amazing, despite the Ewoks...and let's be real here, at the time I was a kid and the Ewoks were awesome. ;)

Episodes 1-3 have a few parts that were good (such as Darth Maul), but for the most part they were steaming piles of Darth Dookie.

Also of note...the two best -- Empire and Return -- were the only two that weren't directed by George Lucas...which is why they're so much better than the rest.

Emphasis is mine...because it's true.

The first movie that I ever saw in a theater was A New Hope. I was about 4 or 5 when it was re-released. I grew up in Streamwood and there was a Loews Theater right by my house. My mom had seen the originals when they first came out but she didn't call herself a fan and my older sister had seen them before and this was also her first time seeing the originals in the theater. I remember my mom getting off of work and picking me and my sister up and taking us to the theater. I still have the ticket stubs from that day. It remains the most powerful experience that I ever had in a movie theater.

Me and my family always stay through the entire credits when we go see a movie, usually to see how many Joshua's, Dominica's, Nina's, Patricia's and people with the last name Strong we can find. When George Lucas's name popped up, I asked my mom what is a screenwriter and a director and she not only told me what titles were but she explained to me how movies are made and ever since that moment, I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

We saw the rest of OT with my entire family, Empire really grabbed me as a kid. I always liked how dark it was compared to ANH and it remains my favorite from the series. And I will never forget sitting down in the theater watching Luke and Vader fight on Cloud City. And My mom turned around and looked at me the entire time, I didn't know why at the time obviously but she wanted to see my reaction to the big reveal. And I remember the sense of shock I felt, I thought that Obi Wan was Luke's father. I was even more shocked (and maybe a little disappointed) when I saw that Darth Vader was some white guy in ROTJ.

I think I actually watched all three of the re-releases on the same day in theaters. It was definitely at least two of them. I don't think I bothered with AotC or RotS in theaters after seeing PM.

This discussion of the re-releases reminds me: Greedo shot first is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Saw all six at the movies. The first Star Wars I was like 4 years old and saw at the drive in. Was addicted ever sinvce.

Ha! Exactly the same for me, at the drive in on top of a VW bus.

I don't remember I was too young. :( I thought I saw 4,5,6 all in theaters. I just can't be positive. I remember the huge line for Jedi and basically camping out in the lobby.

I watched Phantom Menace on DVD and don't think I bothered with 2, or 3 after that.

I still have my collection of Star Wars dudes and the Millenium Falcon :)

Saw the original trilogy when WGN would play it almost every weekend late at night. I had to be 7 years old at the time (1997). Then came The Phantom Menace two years later and it was difficult to escape that movie without turning on the TV or going out to eat and seeing some form of advertisement on billboards, soda cans, etc. I was honestly hooked due to TPM.

Now that I’m in grad school, full-time job, closing on a new home, I haven’t found much free time to read into what’s going on with the new movie, but that’ll make it that much more exciting when I go see it next week.

I was 12 when Star Wars came out; right in the target audience's wheel-house. I loved it; first movie I ever saw twice at the show.

I remember all the hype for "Empire," reading all I could about it in advance, and still being shocked at the big reveal.

I was disappointed with "Jedi" and most all of the others since (although I kind of liked "Sith").

Although I got excited about but then was let down by trilogy 2, I am still optimistic and looking forward to the new one. I will try to see it early, but have not been moved to buy tickets yet and will certainly not camp out or anything like that..

I was six when Star Wars came out. I remember seeing all the Star Wars, Jaws, Grease, Moonraker and the Blues Brothers in the movie/drive in.

I still have boxes of toys and other stuff. Nothing really collectible it was all used for its intended purpose.

I gave my kids an X wing fighter and they broke it within a week the rest remain in boxes....maybe my grand kids will be appreciative.

My one kid also left a 24 year old A 2000 out in the rain, I got it refurbished and told him, enjoy your Sports Authority Rawlings piece of crap.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
This discussion of the re-releases reminds me: Greedo shot first is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen!

Why does it matter? The changing of that little detail did nothing to alter the tone or purpose of the scene.

I never got why people were so upset.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Why does it matter? The changing of that little detail did nothing to alter the tone or purpose of the scene.

I don't get overly upset because it's a movie, but... that change dramatically altered the tone of the scene. It undercuts the potrayal of a key character. It changes the landscape, and Lucas' recent excuse for it (that he saw Solo as a John Wayne type) was bizarre (much like the rest of what he's done as his career has gone on).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
I don't get overly upset because it's a movie, but... that change dramatically altered the tone of the scene. It undercuts the potrayal of a key character. It changes the landscape, and Lucas' recent excuse for it (that he saw Solo as a John Wayne type) was bizarre (much like the rest of what he's done as his career has gone on).

Exactly this.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)

"Upset" is a little strong. It's just silly.

1) Han's not really on a redemption arc anymore because apparently he was never a gray character. Instead of killing someone to save his ass, it's self defense.

2) An experienced bounty hunter missing at point blank range is far-fetched.

3) There was no mention of Greedo firing in drafts of the original script, so why is Lucas denying it was ever written that way? It's just weird.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)

I saw '97 version first but when I see that version of the scene, I get that this is a badass space pirate and I think that scene is meant to show the audience not only how badass Han is but how shady the world that he operates in is.

When I see the original version of the scene I come to the same conclusion. Han is a badass and he operates in a really shady business (like any other drug dealer).

For me, it dose not change his portrayal, the landscape or his character's arc.

You can't really say that Lucas is wrong, this comes from his imagination and he can do whatever he sees fits.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
"Upset" is a little strong. It's just silly.

1) Han's not really on a redemption arc anymore because apparently he was never a gray character. Instead of killing someone to save his ass, it's self defense.

2) An experienced bounty hunter missing at point blank range is far-fetched.

3) There was no mention of Greedo firing in drafts of the original script, so why is Lucas denying it was ever written that way? It's just weird.

I don't get any of that.

Edited by Joshua Strong