Shelby Miller to Arizona

coco1997

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:53 PM)
Sox management before Miller trade: "We're looking to add some pieces to contend next year."

Sox management after seeing what ATL got for Miller: "Everyone back in the suite now, new plan time."

I hope you're right.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:51 PM)
Exactly, and our weak minded management could never accept such a move. Always going for it are the White Sox!

Yep.

They should have been all over moving a pitcher with the high demand and the pretty strong pipeline (albeit unproven) behind them. But they have to "go for it" this year. We could see that when they wouldn't trade Shark last year. They have no long term plan at all.

Holy crap, that is a serious haul. s*** I'd take that for Q easily. I mean, Q has to have more value to GMs then Miller right? This isn't some weird case that everyone is down on Q because he isn't a power pitcher or some s***...

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:37 PM)
I think you read that wrong.

I don't think so, but if I misunderstood it, it still means he's comparing Trayce to Inciarte due to them both having underwhelming minor league stats. Still a stretch, because Trayce had a nice few weeks and Inciarte has been a very valuable offensive piece for two major league seasons. They both do play great D, however.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
I don't think so, but if I misunderstood it, it still means he's comparing Trayce to Inciarte due to them both having underwhelming minor league stats. Still a stretch, because Trayce had a nice few weeks and Inciarte has been a very valuable offensive piece for two major league seasons. They both do play great D, however.

The point was that Inciarte's major league performance is a lot better than his minor league performance would have suggested.

So far, so is Trayce's.

A mere counterpoint to the idea that he's a 4th OF, and inherently inferior to a mediocre veteran or a rent of a faux hero or career year.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 05:01 AM)
I'd really like to find out where Hahn was in all of this. It's annoying for me that given what we need, and what Arizona provided, we were nowhere to be seen.

Pretty obvious they want to compete in 2016. To me, Hahn has been a massive bust as a GM. His poor moves last offseason have crippled this roster.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:00 PM)
I'm excited by this haul for Atlanta.

I'm terrified by it too.

I feel like this game is being played and the sox are in the corner playing with their blocks.

They're busy trying to move the unmoveable LaRoche meanwhile the men are conducting business

But remember, no one will overpay for Q! GMs dont do that anymore!

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
Pretty obvious they want to compete in 2016. To me, Hahn has been a massive bust as a GM. His poor moves last offseason have crippled this roster.

They're blinded by ambition, then. If we made this trade for Q anyone could have understood its merit. We're not going to compete with even Upton and A.Cabrera in the ALC. We have a pitching surplus for exactly this reason.

If they dont trade Q now, they wont next season even if Fulmer and Montas are ML ready. It's just not a White Sox move. They'd trade both prospects for an underwhelming package

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
Lot of baseless assumptions being made in this thread.

I think there are a lot of moving parts to every trade and people shouldn't just assume Q can get a similar package from another team or even would have gotten the same package from Arizona.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)
I think there are a lot of moving parts to every trade and people shouldn't just assume Q can get a similar package from another team or even would have gotten the same package from Arizona.

You may not have known if Arizona would have given the same package, but you can't justify receiving less than this from another team. I'm sorry, you just can't. An equally important part of talking with other teams is an understanding of who may be desparate or appearing to put all the chips in

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
They're blinded by ambition, then. If we made this trade for Q anyone could have understood its merit. We're not going to compete with even Upton and A.Cabrera in the ALC. We have a pitching surplus for exactly this reason.

If they dont trade Q now, they wont next season even if Fulmer and Montas are ML ready. It's just not a White Sox move. They'd trade both prospects for an underwhelming package

Agree

They can't get beyond this idea of competing in 2016, as unlikely as it is. NO surprise -they thought they could compete in 2015 coming off of a 73 win season. They thought they were competing last July. They just won't face reality.

They are more likely to trade Fulmer and Montas to rent a fraud like Frazier or Coors Field Cargo than they are to trade Q.

As for Hahn, I don't know what he is or isn't. But nothing happens without Williams and often JR approving, so no telling if Hahn is allowed to do what he wants to do. Things would be cleaner without Williams around.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
I know that LaRussa and Duncan love Shelby Miller though. That part hasn't really been mentioned.

Whatever intangible reasons or moving parts we're all talking about as excuses, point is someone inferior to Quintana received this package and this is what the floor of any deal should be. Will anyone here just shurg their shoulders if he didn't?

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 02:48 AM)
Seriously...wtf is Hahn doing? Obviously with this trade Q isn't even on the market. Not sure what Plan A B or C is...I honestly doubt they have one. I could see this trade for Q...but Shelby Miller!?!? I'm seriously pissed about this...

this really make me wonder if hahn is only a puppet to others in the FO.

In case anyone wants to feel even worse about this deal....

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/diamondback...-shelby-miller/

Sullivan makes a great point that you could argue a trade of Miller for Inciarte STRAIGHT UP might even favor the Braves, let alone tossing in MLB.com's #10 and #61 best prospects in baseball for free.

Jesus Christ that haul is massive.

Based on this the Sox could legitimately ask for something like Urias, Pederson/Puig and Barnes from the Dodgers for Q. Not Sale, but Q.

I love Quintana, but man, this trade + the massive contracts being handed out pretty much make him and Sale astronomically valuable.